.NET issues / no FOMOD support

flang

Question

I installed Mod Organizer using the .exe installer, with all default options checked. When starting Mod Organizer, there is an error notification that .NET is not installed or out of date. However, when I click on the provided link to download .NET 4.0, the setup program will not proceed because "a current or newer version of .NET is already installed."

I originally planned to just ignore the error in MO, but I suspect that the MO plugin that requires .NET is not working, because when I try to activate mods like A Quality World Map with MO, the scripted installer for that mod doesn't run, and instead I get the error box in MO that says the base directory has no data files.

However, when I activate this same mod using Nexus Mod Manager (0.55.8), the scripted installer comes up and the mod is installed correctly.

I am running Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1, with .NET version 4.5.2 installed and verified today using the built-in Repair option in the control panel. UAC is deactivated.

I have considered trying to uninstall .NET 4.5.2, then installing 4.0 instead, but I am worried this will cause problems with currently installed programs that may depend on 4.5.2 to function.

If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.

Edited by flang

I solved this issue a long time ago here:

https://forum.step-project.com/topic/5726-dotnet-is-not-installed-error/

Solution:

1. Open Regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5

2. Right-click on v3.5
3. Choose New > DWORD (32-bit) value
4. Name it

Install

5. Double-click your new Install DWORD and change the Value data to

6. Click OK
7. Restart Mod Organizer and attempt to install SkyUI. If the installer fails/works/whatever, report back.

As I explained in the Nexus thread, this is not an issue that can be resolved with any code changes in MO.

The actual code used by MO that detects your .NET install has not changed in over two years. It is exactly what Microsoft describe as needed to determine the installed .NET on your system.

Take note of @Tannin's remarks in the now closed issue in the Bug Genie.

I have actually faced similar issues with Microsoft products that won't install because they can't see an installed version and then ask me to remove the current version, install an out-of-date version, upgrade that version and then install the software I initially wanted. End result is you will need to either jump through some hoops for Microsoft or do some registry hacks to trick the installer into seeing the desired .NET version.

The installer for that mod won't run because it is a C# fomod install and the NCC tool used by MO is also not seeing the required .NET version. You will, despite not thinking you have the wrong version, need to get the correct version of .NET installed on your system.

I make no claims about the hack I'm about to offer but apparently the MO code is making checks for this registry key in my system. You might try adding it to yours and see if makes a difference. I have no idea what it may do to your .NET stability and can offer no support for a catastrophic failure.

[spoiler=Registry settings]

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5]
"Version"="3.5.30729.5420"
"CBS"=dword:00000001
"Install"=dword:00000001
"InstallPath"="C:\\Windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework64\\v3.5\\"
"SP"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5\1033]

Absolute RUBBISH. Do NOT use whatever "hack" Dragon Prince just proposed. I figured out the problem and the solution, none of which requires anything remotely close to fiddling with your registry like they keep saying.

THE PROBLEM:

The reality is, who doesn't have microsoft framework anymore, right? We all do, in fact most of us have all sorts of versions from v2.0, to v3.5, or even the latest and most appropriate v4.5.2 and right there lies the problem. MO requires the use of 3.5, but when you upgrade to 4.5.x, it automatically disables, for a multitude of reasons that I won't get into. Another reason some of you are having this problem is because on Windows 8, 3.5 comes pre-disabled (again, for some darn good reasons), so that's another culprit. Ultimately, MO only recognizes 3.5, and won't recognize anything higher.

THE SOLUTION:

No "hacks", no registry meddling, no installing or repairing, or reinstalling.. none of this rubbish. You just need to simply turn 3.5 back on. In Windows 7/8, search for "turn Windows features on or off", and simply turn 3.5 framwork back on, by checking the boxes. Done, the error goes away. Problem solved, please add this to the freaking official FAQ to MO, thanks. 

Edited by SkyrimCliff

Absolute RUBBISH. Do NOT use whatever "hack" Dragon Prince just proposed. I figured out the problem and the solution, none of which requires anything remotely close to fiddling with your registry like they keep saying.

THE PROBLEM:

The reality is, who doesn't have microsoft framework anymore, right? We all do, in fact most of us have all sorts of versions from v2.0, to v3.5, or even the latest and most appropriate v4.5.2 and right there lies the problem. MO requires the use of 3.5, but when you upgrade to 4.5.x, it automatically disables, for a multitude of reasons that I won't get into. Another reason some of you are having this problem is because on Windows 8, 3.5 comes pre-disabled (again, for some darn good reasons), so that's another culprit. Ultimately, MO only recognizes 3.5, and won't recognize anything higher.

THE SOLUTION:

No "hacks", no registry meddling, no installing or repairing, or reinstalling.. none of this rubbish. You just need to simply turn 3.5 back on. In Windows 7/8, search for "turn Windows features on or off", and simply turn 3.5 framwork back on, by checking the boxes. Done, the error goes away. Problem solved, please add this to the freaking official FAQ to MO, thanks. 

It looks like the registry hack may actually be necessary, since enabling 3.5 under Windows features did not fix the problem for me.

(I posted a reply on the Nexus, but let's keep it here so we don't have to jump back and forth anymore.)

I make no claims about the hack I'm about to offer but apparently the MO code is making checks for this registry key in my system. You might try adding it to yours and see if makes a difference. I have no idea what it may do to your .NET stability and can offer no support for a catastrophic failure.

[spoiler=Registry settings]

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

Looking at my current Registry - my entries for \3.5 and \3.5\1033 already have this exact setup. My entries for v3.5, v4, and v4.0 are copied below directly from my registry, for verification:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Client]

"Version"="4.5.51209"

"TargetVersion"="4.0.0"

"MSI"=dword:00000001

"Servicing"=dword:00000000

"InstallPath"="C:\\Windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework64\\v4.0.30319\\"

"Release"=dword:0005cbf5

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Client\1033]

"Version"="4.5.51209"

"TargetVersion"="4.0.0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full]

"Version"="4.5.51209"

"TargetVersion"="4.0.0"

"MSI"=dword:00000001

"InstallPath"="C:\\Windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework64\\v4.0.30319\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full\1033]

"Version"="4.5.51209"

"TargetVersion"="4.0.0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4.0]

@="deprecated"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4.0\Client]

"Version"="4.0.0.0"

Like I said on Nexus, this isn't a big issue for me personally, since I can still use NMM. So don't stress it too much because it looks like it may be something screwy with my machine - a fix for which would only apply to me and thus wouldn't be worth a lot of effort on your end.

In any case I very much appreciate the help from both of you.

Edited by flang

THE PROBLEM:

THE SOLUTION:

Frustration will sometimes cause a person to respond in such a manner, that's fine, I can understand your feelings.

You posted a similar question in Nexus and were instructed to post any findings you have in the re-opened issue in the Bug Genie where @Tannin responded that it is entirely a registry issue, not a MO one.

Firstly your assertions that many users are experiencing this is clearly not the case, if it were there would be many such irate users clamouring for solutions. You and @flang appear to be in a minority and your specific details would have been welcomed for examination in the aforementioned Bug Genie issue. As you have taken the time to create an account here to voice your frustration I can only assume the creation of an account in the Bug Genie wasn't a problem and there is some other issue holding you back from updating it with these findings?

Whatever the reason you do indeed make some valuable points, thank you. Yes my 'hack' is indeed a very bad idea, I have those from time to time. Your very good idea to simple invoke Windows 'Turn Windows Features on or off' interface will indeed make Windows use 3.5 .NET. Incidentally, my 'hack' performs exactly the same change to the registry as the use of the 'Turn Windows Features on or off' interface.

Now, your assertion that .NET 3.5 will automatically be disabled upon an update to a newer version is simply not true. If it were everyone will by now have it disabled and no one would be able to use the C# fomod installer in MO. There must be other reasons besides updating to a newer version, that disable .NET 3.5.

I solved this issue a long time ago here:

https://forum.step-project.com/topic/5726-dotnet-is-not-installed-error/

Solution:

1. Open Regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5

2. Right-click on v3.5

3. Choose New > DWORD (32-bit) value

4. Name it

Install

5. Double-click your new Install DWORD and change the Value data to

6. Click OK

7. Restart Mod Organizer and attempt to install SkyUI. If the installer fails/works/whatever, report back.

This fixed it for me. The error disappeared and I was able to install "A Quality World Map" successfully. No computer restart required.

(I already had SkyUI installed via NMM and didn't want to mess with it, but A Quality World Map also has a fomod scripted installation, and it was the one I was having trouble with before.)

Thank you all for your help.

Edited by flang

To be technically correct the fix provided by @DoubleYou is used to redirect registry entries when the computer it is on is using a 64bit OS. The actual entry is simply redirected to the other registry branch as posted by @SkyrimCliff.

Both work because the OS will end up in the same place when the search for that key is made.

To be technically correct the fix provided by @DoubleYou is used to redirect registry entries when the computer it is on is using a 64bit OS. The actual entry is simply redirected to the other registry branch as posted by @SkyrimCliff.

Both work because the OS will end up in the same place when the search for that key is made.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to understand this fully, but I will say that I undid SkyrimCliff's fix (enabling .NET 3.5 functions under the "Turn Windows Features on or off" menu). So, those features are currently disabled on my machine, but nonetheless MO is still working as it should.

That's fine, I just checked Microsoft's documentation and .NET 3.5 is included in ALL versions of Windows and it only needs to be enabled via the Control Panel, as outlined above. So I've learned two things in this discussion:

1. there is a version of .NET suited for MO in ALL Windows installs and
  2. there is a little tool that enables it

Just to clarify more the way MO checks for the needed .NET version, according to Microsoft the actual registry key is the one @SkyrimCliff pointed out.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to understand this fully, but I will say that I undid SkyrimCliff's fix (enabling .NET 3.5 functions under the "Turn Windows Features on or off" menu). So, those features are currently disabled on my machine, but nonetheless MO is still working as it should.

Don't worry. Even I don't know what he said. If SkyrimCliff's fix didn't work and mine did, they cannot be one and the same, so I am royally confused. I looked at the MO source code to find the registry key needed last time I saw this issue. MO checks for that key's presence. Really, dotNet is one of the redistributables for Skyrim, so you most likely have it even if MO doesn't detect it.

Sorry, I'm good at confusing things. :huh:

You are both right! Sort of. The Control Panel fix for .NET 3.5 is much easier to use and it does exactly the same thing as your, and my, registry edits.

But the bigger question in my mind now is:

Why is MO making a check for 3.5 if 4.0 is used in the compilation?

The check for net version appears to be in the NCC installer plugin rather than in the main code. It should be possible to take that out and add in some config that tells windows to run it on 3.5 if available, otherwise on 4. Not yet sure how that works though

Sorry, I'm good at confusing things. :huh:

You are both right! Sort of. The Control Panel fix for .NET 3.5 is much easier to use and it does exactly the same thing as your, and my, registry edits.

But the bigger question in my mind now is:

Why is MO making a check for 3.5 if 4.0 is used in the compilation?

So I think I understand what you're saying, but then why didn't the Control Panel fix work for me, while the registry fix did?