MO/nxmhandler Hangs on Second Start

Beebote

Question

I'm at a total loss as to what might be causing this issue, but I've been able to reproduce it three times consecutively, so I don't know where else to turn.

I decided to finally make the switch from NMM to MO today, explicitly to create a STEP:Core baseline to build off of.  I uninstalled and deleted NMM and Skyrim, including all of their associated folders and re-installed Skyrim, following the instructions of the latest STEP guide.

After getting to the point where I was told to close MO and restart it to confirm the proper installation of SKSE (Step 2.C: Extenders > SKSE Detailed Instructions), I closed MO, waited a few seconds, then ran it again.  However, MO just hung.  It showed up in the Task Manager, but failed to actually start and didn't create any new logs for me to look at.  After waiting a few minutes and then forcing the process to quit, I tried to run it again, only to get the same results.  On an inkling, I rebooted my computer.

Once the reboot was complete, I ran MO again, which started up exactly like it should.  Assuming the problem was solved, and seeing no errors in the logs, I continued with trying to download Stable uGridsToLoad through MO.  I got Chrome's dialogue window, asking me to give MO permission to run, which I did.  No files were downloaded.  On checking my Task Manager, I saw nxmhandler.exe was running, but just like MO had before, it was hanging.  Repeated attempts to start downloads only created additional instances of nxmhandler.exe and solved nothing.  I forced those instances to quit and followed the troubleshooting steps on the MO section of the wiki.  None of the steps solved the issue, and nxmhandler.exe continued to hang whenever it was run.

I quit MO and restarted it, only to have MO hang just like it had before; no splash screen, no logs, just a process running in the Task Manager and nothing more.  I terminated all visible processes of both MO and nxmhandler, but attempting to start the program just continued to hang.

I restarted my computer again, which once more allowed MO to start normally.  I immediately quit the program, waited a few seconds, then started it again; which once more caused it to hang.  I don't know what it is, but something is preventing MO from running more than once per boot, and I suspect the same thing is causing the hang-ups with nxmhandler.  However, I cannot imagine for the life of me what would cause such a specific, repeatable scenario.

My system specs are as follows: https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Beebote/SystemSpecs

Any help at all isolating this issue would be appreciated.  I do not blame MO for this problem, and I would love to use it fully, but I need help finding out what's holding it back.

6 answers to this question

Norton360 did not flag the files as suspicious, but I went ahead and flagged both MO and nxmhandler as Trusted files.  The results are the same.  I should also mention that I did follow STEP to the letter, and MO is installed in the Skyrim directory, as instructed, which is the Steam default.  However, I doubt that's the issue, as I can run other executables from that directory with no issue (like Wrye Bash and TESVEdit)

I strongly suspect this is something unique to my system, as this is not the first program I've had hangup issues with, but it is the first to be so consistent. The fact that MO can run once makes it sound like it's triggering something in my system that prevents it from running a second time in one session, like it's leaving a footprint of some kind.

I decided to finally make the switch from NMM to MO today, explicitly to create a STEP:Core baseline to build off of.  I uninstalled and deleted NMM and Skyrim, including all of their associated folders and re-installed Skyrim, following the instructions of the latest STEP guide.

The uninstall of NMM is most likely the problem here. Just reinstall it and run it once. The NXM links are probably what is buggering up the works, at least that is what happened to me when I uninstalled NMM.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, with all important updates installed as of the 18th of April.

The uninstall of NMM is most likely the problem here. Just reinstall it and run it once. The NXM links are probably what is buggering up the works, at least that is what happened to me when I uninstalled NMM.

I'll try this and see if it solves the hang-ups.  If not, I'll just chalk it up to an incompatibility on my end of things and revert to NMM for the time being.