CTD at Helgen character creation screen

O0mix0O

Question

Hi all,

Was playing fine until last night, heading northeast from 'broken tower redoubt' I came across an unmarked bandit camp where I got a CTD. Loaded up last save, tried to enter again and get another CTD. This time I saved near to it, tried to snipe a bandit but CTD before the killcam played. I have changed a lot of mods through this playthrough so wondered if it was a save game issue, did a coc command from the main menu but crashed after running for a few seconds. 

Tried loading a clean un-modded character creation screen but the ApachiiSkyHair's are black (missing texture?) before CTD, and when using 'ShowRaceMenu Precache Killer' the prisoner clothing was blue and CTD. I tried using the default character but as the camera span back around from the character creation section, got another CTD.

The main save has been fine, but to be honest this was my first time in that area so it could have been I'd just not caused the issue yet. The only recent changes I've made are updating OBIS, Apocalypse spells and installing Skyrim Radioactive and Bijin Warmaidens. 

I'm not too bothered about the old saves, I'd just like to start a new one.

TL:DR:

- ApachiiSkyHair's are black

- Even when using the default setting it crashes before the sequence can continue

I don't have permission to attach .txt files so please find the contents through here: https://textdump.net/read/6492/

EDIT: After clicking NEW GAME from the main menu, go a crash 10 seconds into the horse ride - DUMP = https://textdump.net/read/6493/

Thanks for reading :) If you need any more info I will gladly provide.

Edited by O0mix0O

8 answers to this question

I'm a little confused, the title of your thread says it is a CTD during the Helgen scripted scene but you refer to a bandit camp causing the issue.

So I will assume you have mashed together two issues into the one thread.  ::):

Seem to be a lot of references to missing files and "Unable to bind script <scriptname and ID> because their base types do not match" entries.

These are mostly because of mods not being where they are supposed to be. You say you have been changing a lot of mods lately. I think that may be your problem. Your saves are still looking for stuff that no longer exist.

But, if you are getting this on a new game, ie. during the character creation, then there surely are conflicts with your mod order. What does LOOT indicate? Are you still using a bashed patch from a time before you removed mods?

I'm a little confused, the title of your thread says it is a CTD during the Helgen scripted scene but you refer to a bandit camp causing the issue.

So I will assume you have mashed together two issues into the one thread.  ::):

Seem to be a lot of references to missing files and "Unable to bind script <scriptname and ID> because their base types do not match" entries.

These are mostly because of mods not being where they are supposed to be. You say you have been changing a lot of mods lately. I think that may be your problem. Your saves are still looking for stuff that no longer exist.

But, if you are getting this on a new game, ie. during the character creation, then there surely are conflicts with your mod order. What does LOOT indicate? Are you still using a bashed patch from a time before you removed mods?

Yeah sorry, I should've made that clearer. That was my initial issue, but then I found I couldn't start a new game so I just mentioned both in case they were related/relevant to each other. 

Yeah that makes sense. Tbh, I've been swapping/ adding/ removing/ merging mods through this entire playthrough so I'm not surprised it's having troubles.

I always run LOOT to sort my order and it does show me 16 errors which are either "Contains X ITM records" or "Plugin requires X", (the former I have no idea what that is but it's even showing up on Skyrim.esm, the latter is showing up on plugins that I do not have activated in my load order or active in my mods list so I'm ignoring) 

Other than that, everything seems to be fine.

Thanks for your reply :)

Edited by O0mix0O

If LOOT is telling you Plugin Requires X then the plugin it says it requires must be ticked. If you do not have them active in your load order LOOT would not be able to see them, untick the mod in your left pane so the mod does not show up in the plugin list. Contains X ITM records means the plugin needs cleaning via TES5Edit follow the guide.

That's a good point @phazer11 makes, of course that is only applicable if you are using Mod Organizer.

Are you? I haven't seen it mentioned yet.

If you are, are you using correctly? ie. not in conjunction with another mod manager or with mods installed into the Skyrim data folder.

LOOT will be confused if your MO setup doesn't have those mods enabled but they are installed directly into the data folder. Then LOOT will see them and tell you so.

Since LOOT is telling you need a specific plugin and you say you don't have it that's a pretty good indication as to your CTD, Missing master plugin.

If LOOT is telling you Plugin Requires X then the plugin it says it requires must be ticked. If you do not have them active in your load order LOOT would not be able to see them, untick the mod in your left pane so the mod does not show up in the plugin list. Contains X ITM records means the plugin needs cleaning via TES5Edit follow the guide.

A lot of them are merged mods, such as variations of merged patches for COT/AOS etc. I think they're placed in my overwrite folder so will have a clear out.

That's a good point @phazer11 makes, of course that is only applicable if you are using Mod Organizer.

Are you? I haven't seen it mentioned yet.

If you are, are you using correctly? ie. not in conjunction with another mod manager or with mods installed into the Skyrim data folder.

LOOT will be confused if your MO setup doesn't have those mods enabled but they are installed directly into the data folder. Then LOOT will see them and tell you so.

Since LOOT is telling you need a specific plugin and you say you don't have it that's a pretty good indication as to your CTD, Missing master plugin.

I'm only using MO so I think I'm fine regarding that. 

UPDATE: I don't want to jinx it but I think I fixed the issue. I had a couple of left over ENB files in my Skyrim folder such as prepass, effect etc. Having deleted all remnants of ENB files, then installing them fresh I seem to be fixed. The files that were left over from my previous ENB don't strike me as ones that should cause issues but there we are. No crashes on new game or old save + no texture mess ups, very happy!

Thanks for your replies :)

Ahh... ENB conflicts!

I haven't yet gone down the ENB path... yet. I tell you something, all these postings about setting them up and then the problems that come from them aren't instilling a lot of confidence in me.

I'm sure all those users that do have flawless ENB setups will quickly come and allay my fears.

Ahh... ENB conflicts!

I haven't yet gone down the ENB path... yet. I tell you something, all these postings about setting them up and then the problems that come from them aren't instilling a lot of confidence in me.

I'm sure all those users that do have flawless ENB setups will quickly come and allay my fears.

Haha, it's honestly not that bad! This is my first time I've had any problems and I've used at least 50 ENBs and this is my first problem with one! (Which I didn't even realize was causing it!) Any confusion or messing around is well worth it :)

ENB's are easy to set up provided you do one thing: Keep a list of the files your choice of ENB adds to the Skyrim directory.

When you want to change ENB's delete EVERY SINGLE LAST ONE of them every time. :)

Usually I copy over the same ENB files again so that they're all selected, then delete them so I know I have them all... Guess I was just a bit sloppy this time :P