Creating 'MO friendly' Skyproc patchers - ie EBD and reproccer.

wolverine2710

Question

I need some information and perhaps you all can help, have already contacted Tannin but he's been unable to answer up to this point, probably extremely busy. The overwrite tab in the MO wiki does not help me really further.

To keep it simple. Its a well know fact that files created by a skyproc patcher end up in the overwrite directory instead of for example in reproccer or EBD. This is because of the way files are created/updated. Leviathan1753 who created skyproc and automatic variants and plutoman who created RLWC and ASIS have been kidnapped by the Daedra prince Real Life. Dienes who also created Lootification (skyproc patcher) has stepped in, he has enhanced Skyproc further and also created the latest ASIS version. His Skyproc version and thread can be found here.

He also uses MO and I've contacted him if he would be willing to change Skyproc so that the files created by Skyproc do NOT end up in the overwrite directory each time a skyproc patcher is run. For this he needs more information, like how to create/update files (in Java). If anyone has more information this would be appreciated. The definitive answer ofc comes from Tannin but like I said he hasn't been able to answer yet.

5 answers to this question

The only thing I know that might be useful:

Tannin Wrote

Tannin42, on 20 Nov 2012 - 11:45 AM,said:
@Apprentice Harper: The files aren't moved, that's pretty much the problem why MO behaves oddly.
TES5Edit and the CK {a} create a new temporary file then {b} delete the original and then {c} rename the temporary to the original name.
An external application like MO or Directory Monitor would have to have a memory so that it can recognize in step {c} that the new filename is the same as the file deleted in {b} and then guess that the intend was for the file from {a} to replace the one from {b}.
The guessing part in particular is why I shy away from such a solution.

My two cents. I have been away from skyrim for a while and decided to return in the past week. So I am redoing my setup. I just installed RCRC following Guide to install RCRN AE with Mod Organizer. I have to say after running RCRN via the procedure outlined that the sync to mods function will sync all of the files to the RCRC mod each and every time. I would start there and investigate how this is done and if it can be done in Skyproc.

Eh, what? I was quite certain that all functionality of the sync to mods feature was useless. How are you able to utilize it?

With careful practice and adherence to process the sync to mods feature can be used effectively in MO.

I run each skyproc patcher individually and create a mod from the output. I also do this for WRYE bash and in fallout with TESEdit. With the exception of TESEdit, which will not let you make a Merged patch when there is one already there, most files will sync back to the original output mods I created. Due to the way skyproc creates or make or moves files, not all the files will sync back. The ones left over are usually the ones that are needed for the next run and remembering settings. I adopted the practice of deleting what is left over after syncing and treating any subsequent runs as a first run.

In my testing most of the third party tools do that for the ESPs anyway and I do not see any problems related to it. This can only be seen in MO when you when you have the ESP in a mod of its own and the next time the tool is run it will be in the overwrite folder and the output mod will show as being redundant.

My two cents. I have been away from skyrim for a while and decided to return in the past week. So I am redoing my setup. I just installed RCRC following Guide to install RCRN AE with Mod Organizer. I have to say after running RCRN via the procedure outlined that the sync to mods function will sync all of the files to the RCRC mod each and every time. I would start there and investigate how this is done and if it can be done in Skyproc.

Thanks for the info, gonna have a look at it. I think I got some ideas about what Tannin said in the info provided in the overwrite tab of the MO wiki, to quote him:

"Regarding files being moved to overwrite: 0.12.x includes a small workaround that I hope will fix this inconvenience. Basically if a file gets deleted and within a few seconds a new file with exactly the same name is created it will be placed in the mod where the file got deleted."

If I've time gonna write a small Java program for creating/updating/deleting files to test that and it at first glance seems I've found something in the way how files are deleted/created by Skyproc by analyzing it using Directory Monitor 2 (free). Have to investigate more. As most files (debug stuff and more) are created by skyproc.jar by changing that (as in by Dienne the maintainer of skyproc) it will affect the behavior of all skyproc patchers when they use his version. If they use Leviathans1753 latest Skyproc.jar its basically a recompile of their patchers with his skyproc.jar. Hopefully he can find a way to have in the near future a clean overwrite directory for skyproc pathchers. Caveat emperor: No promises....