why aren't graphic packages optomized before uploading?

elanaahova

Question

Many mod organizers, schemes, (STEP included) etc., include directions to 'optimize' texture packages.  Many of these graphics packages have been available for a long time.  The instructions for optomizing some of these graphics say it can take hours just to do one pacakge.  Why doesn't someone optomize these graphic pacakges, and uplaod the optomized versions?   Seems like a no brainer. Is there some rule that forbids this?

Edited by elanaahova

7 answers to this question

@Jarl OK, "Copyright issue, we can't go around distributing Bethesda files."  So all those mod files that contain portions of Beth owned files are actually illegal under copyright?  If mods that contain parts of beth objects, nifs, etc. are OK, whats the problem with a graphics package that is modified by optomizing?  Consider the 'free' hi rez graphis DLC.  Has beth come right out and excluded optimized textures as 'different' than other mods (modifications)?  You still can't use an optomized texture without the base game (unlike 'cleaning' a DLC and uploading that DLC to a server - which would, effectivly, make that DLC available to those who don't own the game).

edit = spelling correction

Edited by elanaahova

(Jarl is my rank, not my nickname ::P: )

Well I don't know about Bethesda's stance on the matter, but most companies tend to disallow sharing the textures they provide. And Bethesda's lawyers dragged Notch to court for calling his game "Scrolls" so yeah...

Anyway I don't know much about this, all I can tell you is that this used to be linked to in STEP, but it was removed, and there's certainly a reason for that, but I haven't bothered to look into it.

(Jarl is my rank, not my nickname ::P: )

Well I don't know about Bethesda's stance on the matter, but most companies tend to disallow sharing the textures they provide. And Bethesda's lawyers dragged Notch to court for calling his game "Scrolls" so yeah...

Anyway I don't know much about this, all I can tell you is that this used to be linked to in STEP, but it was removed, and there's certainly a reason for that, but I haven't bothered to look into it.

That is the first mod in Conflicting Graphics. It is not illegal to change the vanilla files and reupload them as long as you make it for Skyrim only. You cannot use their stuff for other games. That is the license that Beth has given to everyone for modding. We can also do it for any mod that gives permission for it, but we have to be within the Nexus rules to do that on their site, since they are separate from the rules Beth already has on their stuff.

That is the first mod in Conflicting Graphics. It is not illegal to change the vanilla files and reupload them as long as you make it for Skyrim only. You cannot use their stuff for other games. That is the license that Beth has given to everyone for modding. We can also do it for any mod that gives permission for it, but we have to be within the Nexus rules to do that on their site, since they are separate from the rules Beth already has on their stuff.

Huh, now I feel silly. I thought that had been removed. Also nice to see that Bethesda is more lenient towards this stuff than EA.