Complete Skyrim Breakdown with 2.2.8

Nachtfrost

Question

Hello,

I just started to install STEP 2.2.8 according to the wiki guide. I once installed an older version of STEP manually and everything worked fine.

Now I have pretty much trouble with the current version.

I did a clean install, drivers are all updated etc and I installed the mods with Mod Manager, sorted them appropriately and Mod Manager says everthing's fine.

I started a new game but just before the dragon attacks Helgen, the game seems to freeze, the monitor shuts down and the computer seems to be doing a reboot but still the monitor is getting no signal. I have to switch off the computer via the on/off button. This happened 2 or 3 times. I noticed that after the first time, ENboost and SKSE depending mods like SkyUI, Trade and Barter etc. are not loaded (no mod setting in the in game menu).

Has anyone some hints where to start?

Cheers,

Nachtfrost

4 answers to this question

Rarely will a mod issue cause such issues. What you are describing sounds more like a hardware failure than a mod or setup issue. The monitor issues instinctively leads me first to your video card/drivers. It's possible that the new 2.2.8 setup is putting more stress on your card which seemed fine until the extra load was added to it. However, I could be completely off base. It's hard to diagnose such things over text and so little.

Hello,

I made some more testing. Apparently it's some other issue. Even the vanilla game breaks at the same point mentioned. I was monitoring my GPU temp and it was fine (45 °C) but I could indeed hear the fan going up a bit. Before I reached the break point mentioned I also noticed one or two minor lags.

My specs are:

GPU: Geforce GTX 580  1,5 GB VRAM

CPU: i7-2600K

16 GB RAM

normal hard drive, no OC, no water cooling or such, would have to look up the mainboard type and other more detailed information 

I will try to dust of the fan first. If that doesn't help  could someone maybe recommend a GPU stress testing tool?

As said in the first post, STEP 2.1.8 or some version like that was running damn fine even with certain HQ textures.

Good night,

Nachtfrost