VRAM, ENB, long pause

haelfix

Question

Currently I am running SR:LE, normal texture load (eg mix of 2k and 1k) and using Realvision performance option B ENB.  Everything runs great, fps is typically in the 50s.  I have a high end computer with 16 megs of Ram, and a GTX 680 with 4gb of VRAM.

Unfortunately every once in awhile I will see a drop from 50fps to 0, and the screen's graphics will corrupt and then there will be a lengthy pause (eg 10 seconds sometimes) before the picture comes back and then I can often proceed again.  In the old days before ENBoost, this would have been a pure ctd, but now it actually allows me to resume play.

Anyway, my question is, is this symptomatic of a VRAM problem?  I don't think its RAM related, b/c I have stressed tested the rig under a variety of circumstances in other areas and I don't CTD at 256 mb or anything like that.

I have read a few forum posts where they recommended changing the parameter for

videomemorysizemb to a much higher setting, however this failed to resolve my problem (again it only happens about once every 45 minutes or so, but enough that its noticeable and is the only source of instability in my game at this tiem).

I think it might be some sort of setting somewhere in my ENB profile, but I am not sure.  Alternatively it might be some sort of windows 7 problem (once the game actually minimized during the whole process).

I noticed that the ENBBoost guide on the step forum was out of date somewhat, so I am merely running SR:LE's suggested settings.

Thoughts? 

6 answers to this question

Boris finally managed to point me to the solution. It was actually an incorrect setup of mod organizer within my ssd. The overwrite folder was being launched on my hdd, and thus there was some sort of hdd/ssd conflict. Migrating mo fully to my ssd fixed the problem.

So good rule of thumb.. Gfx issues can arise from hdd/ssd conflicts as well

It sounds like a video driver crash/recovery.... maybe double check your drivers and/or run some stress testing.Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Yea it does doesn't it...  Well, I upgraded my Nvidia drivers and I stressed tested the card and I couldn't see any artifacting so that seems to check out.

I have tried several different ENB versions as well as several different ENBs (I dl'd Vividian per the guide's recommendation) and I still get the exact same thing.  In fact I have a save where I can consistently reproduce the effect within the first 20 seconds or so and it almost always seems to occur where heavy duty memory loads are present.

My next thought, is that it has something to do with directx...

Boris finally managed to point me to the solution. It was actually an incorrect setup of mod organizer within my ssd. The overwrite folder was being launched on my hdd, and thus there was some sort of hdd/ssd conflict. Migrating mo fully to my ssd fixed the problem.So good rule of thumb.. Gfx issues can arise from hdd/ssd conflicts as well

I'm curious about this.  I have most of MO on my SSD - I have everything *but* the downloaded files stored on my SSD.  I don't believe my overwrite folder is on my HDD, but I'd like to find out.  How did you go about finding this out?  Was it as simple as looking at the directories with Windows Explorer?

I too suffer from a "stutter" as I rotate around and Skyrim loads textures (I think)...but my video card only has 2GB of ram and I'm using a mix of 2k and 1k textures as well.

I would really love to eliminate this stutter if it's as simple as moving a directory around.

Downloads folder shouldn't matter, as Mod Organizer doesn't virtualize it. Overwrite will, however. I suggest moving the entire Mod Organizer install onto the SSD and placing the downloads folder in Settings to your HDD. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This is the way I have it set up.

My "stutters" were were being caused by VRAM management.  I had a limited amount of memory setup as the MAX vram in my "enblocal.ini".  I raised it the max (10GB) and now my game is smooooooth.

IE: 

ReservedMemorySizeMb=512VideoMemorySizeMb=10240   <-- I used to have this set to 2048.  Caused a lot of stuttering when I turned the camera.  No longer.

Edited by p4ck3tl055