SR:LE Before I start...

As many of you can tell by my posts to this forum this week, I'm not exactly firing on all cylinders.  So, before I go off and do something I'll regret later let me ask questions....

My current mod setup is somewhere between STEP Core and STEP Extended with a few mods that I've added myself because they looked cool or they sounded interesting.  However, the thing isn't stable.  Seldom can I last more than an hour in game before I see a CTD.  Since SR:LE is very close to what I have I'm thinking of making my setup "Legendary".

Question No. 1: It looks as though SR:LE is a complete revamp of STEP - quite a few of the same mods, just in different order.  Am I missing something here or this as it's intended?

Question No. 2: Assuming that No. 1 is as it's intended, then should I just use the mods listed in the SR:LE list?  I've not made it through the entire wiki article yet, but it looks like there will be some mods that STEP uses that SR:LE doesn't.  Forgive me if that is incorrect, I've not done a mod-for-mod comparison, I'm just looking at installation orders and SR:LE is different.

Question No. 3: UNP Blessed bodies.  I don't really prefer the bombshell, platex bra and girdle look that this mod produces, instead I prefer the UNP main body.  If I continue to use the main body is that going to cause a problem?

Question No. 4: The Ningheim Race and other custom races.  I came across the Ningheim several months ago and I love the additional presets and warpaint.  Any problems with these?  If not, where should I load them?  I'm assuming toward the bottom of modlist.

I think what I'll do to start is disable all of the mods I have, get the order right, installing and following the guide for differing mods.  When I get to the end I'll see what I have left and come back with more questions (after deciding what's worth keeping if anything).

Thanks for all the hard work Neo, I'm looking forward to the Legendary experience!

1. To me they seem somewhat independent.  Quite a lot of overlap but lots of differences too.

2. I started with STEP but then switched over to SR quite a while ago.  I suggest using one guide to build a base and understand what you are doing (and make sure your game is stable), then modify it, perhaps looking at other guides for inspiration.

3. Should work fine.  UNP and UNPB are largely interchangeable - just a different shape for the most part.  You might also have some minor issues with seams (neck, wrist, ankle). Be careful of BBP, if your skeleton does not support BBP then any BBP mod will crash your game (CTD).

4. Custom races can be tricky and I tend to avoid them, so I don't know.  You will almost certainly have to build patches for them. Where it goes in your load order is not as important as patching it - where it goes will determine the sort of patch you have to build.

Edited by statmonster

If you're going for SRLE, I'd strongly suggest to start fresh. You can always add modifications after you have a pure SRLE working. This will rule out any other issues that might result of mixing non-SRLE mods with SRLE.

Yeah, that's basically what I'm doing.  I've de-activated EVERY mod I have and am going down the list sorting and re-activating or downloading to match Neo's guide.  My goal is to get SR:LE running and then I'm going to either test or ask about the remaining mods that I *must* have.  But that'll probably be this weekend after the reboot and serious stability testing.

I must say, I knew the guide was a time consumer (as I wrote one of my own that pales in comparison) but looking at the work that has gone into this "pack" is mind-blowing.  I mean, downloading a 165MB texture mod just to pick out 4 textures because "they look better" is astounding.  (not just once this happens either!!!)  My respect for Neo has gone up 10 notches tonight (and I'm only now to the "modified and Extend Quests" section).

4. Custom races can be tricky and I tend to avoid them, so I don't know.  You will almost certainly have to build patches for them. Where it goes in your load order is not as important as patching it - where it goes will determine the sort of patch you have to build.

I often wondered about this with the Ningheim...but I simply didn't want to loose the warpaints and eyes.  I guess, after I SR:LE working and stable, I'll start looking for some replacements but I'll ask here first - and use a testing profile too!!!

OK, here's my first "But I really want that" question.  I'm a huge fan of SkyRe and I don't see it.  :(  I'm guessing because either Neo doesn't like it or because of all of the weapon/armor mods that are on the list.

Anyone used SkyRe in conjunction with SR:LE?  If so, any problems?

OK, here's my first "But I really want that" question.  I'm a huge fan of SkyRe and I don't see it.  :(  I'm guessing because either Neo doesn't like it or because of all of the weapon/armor mods that are on the list.

Anyone used SkyRe in conjunction with SR:LE?  If so, any problems?

I have thought about it, as I also loved SkyRe. I think that the modules would cause so many conflicts, though. Take a look here, https://forum.step-project.com/showthread.php?tid=2252 for a little reading on that.

Weapons and Armor aren't a real issue with SkyRe if you can find the right compatibility patches and use the ReProccer. I think the main problem would come with all of the game-altering changes it makes. Spells, Crafting, and ASIS would be some things that would require more that just hitting "install". Just my 2 cents.

SkyRe was good, but I feel like the perk progression become annoying and fruitless... Because it alters so many things you must use the reproccer which can work fine but adds complexity. I'm thinking of using SPERG and Duel instead

Edited by sweeper240

I've been using it along with LE , but am getting a new computer and thinking of using a different overhaul. SkyRe , in the end, I found had just as many perk sinks as it stated it fixed (you could easily find yourself putting 20+ perks in Enchanting just to get all the benefits), and pretty much all the special perks I found myself leaving off til later, so likely won't miss them in the end.

SPERG I found to have too FEW perks, as it wasn't nearly as exciting to level and decide how you wanted to get more powerful, as a lot of it already happened for you.

I think I might use ACE combat along with a magic overhaul, and possibly a sneak overhaul to just get each area perfect.

With ASIS, Immersive Creatures, High Level Enemies, OBIS, Revenge of the Enemies, and a few others that add depth I've found that all is needed is something like Duel instead of an overhaul to give yourself a completely new game!

Still waiting on the SkyRe successor to see if it's going to do the job , but totally agree with sweeper240, it became fruitless in the end, and with the reproccer (along with SO MANY PATCHES) it ends up complicating things greatly.

Sorry, I get the feeling I avoided your question. I WAS able to get SkyRe working properly (for the most part) with SR:LE. It required many, many patches and there were some aspects that I'd likely go in to fix up some more (CCO has issues with it, in addition to ICF). With patches created it's possible to get it working though.

I did still have some CTDs, but I can't say if that's SkyRe, SR:LE , or a number of the other mods that I installed (werewolf and vampire overhaul mods, etc.)

• 1 month later...

If you're going for SRLE, I'd strongly suggest to start fresh. You can always add modifications after you have a pure SRLE working. This will rule out any other issues that might result of mixing non-SRLE mods with SRLE.

I took the opposite tack and completed a stable installation of Core Extended with the STEP Extended Patch and then added in the SRLE additions + conflict resolution patch + about 20 other mods (including Interesting NPCs, Inconsequential NPCs, Duel, SkyTest, Enemy AI Overhaul and a dozen follower mods like Vilja, Cerwiden, Hoth, Valfar, etc. ) + a merge patch + a bash patch. I tried making my own conlict resolution patch after watching the instructional video and quickly found I was sinking in over my head. I completely abandoned the idea when I was surprised to see the Stormcloaks without clothes. The game was unstable and I was getting warnings that Frostfall had stopped working due to Script Overloads so I pulled out Interesting NPCS, Inconsequential NPCs, SkyTest and Enemy AI Overhaul. The game is now reasonably stable with random CTDs while wandering the country side (there seems to be a particular spot on the road between Helgen and Riverwood near the small waterfall that has a CTD) and entering doors accompanied by 99% GPU usage indicators. I've got an Nvidia 780 with 3GB VRAM and am considering an SLI bridge for a second 780 card if I'm still  hitting hardware limitations after upgrading the motherboard and CPU. If anyone is interested I'll post my load order and new hardware specs once the computer comes home from the hospital.