Overwrite (TES5Edit, SKSE, meshes)

Sarou89

Question

Hello guys,

The tutoriel of STEP explain what to do with:- SkyProc Patchers => DSR Output- tools => FNIS Output

But since, I have some other folders now: TESEdit Backups, SKSE and meshes.

- SKSE/Plugins/CharGen/Presets/10.slot, 9.slot etc. (it's the mod for showracemenu I guess)- TES5edit: Update.esp, Hearthfiles.esm etc. (what I cleaned)- Meshes: characters, behaviors (things related to FNIS)

Have I something to do with all this files that stay in "Overwrite"?

Thank you.

12 answers to this question

For the TES5Edit Skyrim cleaned ESP you should put them in a "Cleaned ESP" folder because them won't change anytime soon.

For the rest I usually left them here because they are regenerated so often it's a hassle to move them every time even if it is the proper way to do it especially if you use different profiles.

You can also right click on the overwrite folder and make a mod out of it to move all files to a new mod Call it something like "Overwrite Output". This way they will have the left pane priority order you set instead of the overwrite folder max priority.

Once that is clean you can manage the files after you run a tool. Say you run WRYE . WRYE will copy a new blank ESP into the overwrite folder. This is the ESP that will be updated when you rebuild the patch. When finished you send that to a new mod named "WRYE output". Delete or disable the BP in "Overwrite Output" mod and enable the new "WRYE output". Do this for all of the tool you run.

The next time you use any tool, after you finish you can right click and select "Sync to Mods" to move the file to the the parent mod. This works for about ninety percent of the files that go into the overwrite folder.

You can go to this post where I posted more about this.

Thank you for your response. It's a bit complicated.

So, I right-clicked the "Overwrite" and "create a new mod" called "Overwrite output". Have I to put this file somewhere else in the left panel order?

I guess I have to uncheck "DSR output" and "FNIS output"..? (or there will be conflicts..?). Or I have to continue using FNIS output and DSR output?

Then, the next time I run the tools, can I simply put all files in the new folder? Reading your link, I see that I have to let uncheck my new "Overwrite Output"?

Edit: no I have to use DSR and FNIS outputs. If everything is in the "Overwrite output", and it is unchecked, it's not recognize in game.

Edited by Sarou89

I have found that there will always be files left over, most is from the skyproc tools. You can leave the DSR and FNIS outputs checked.

It is difficult to weed out the files from a already populated overwrite folder. I usually discard what is there and start fresh following the run tool and make output folder after each. It won't set you back any as that is what most tools do anyway, except for the Skyproc patchers.

Overwrite is an actual folder in Mod Organizer.

Whatever is in it will have infinite priority meaning it will always win file conflicts.

Also it applies to all profiles, a necessity of the main purpose it has.

That purpose is to replace the Data folder when files change and to do so it must be a real folder. It cannot be written to if virtual files would end up in real data folder.

The same goes for it being profile dependant. Profiles are a text document telling Mod Organizer what to create the virtual folder from. Having a separate folder for each profile just will not work.

The Overwrite Folder is a highly automated function that is hidden from the user 99% of the time.

Only the use of 3rd party tools where MO can't find out what is actually being overwritten and new folders will require user intervention.

Just leaving in Overwrite is not recommended and is not supported.

Mod Organizer alerts the user when that intwrvention is required.

Leaving files in Overwrite changes priority order. Files from different Mods will become combined.

Worse files from different profiles will become combined.

You might as well dump it all in Data folder as the result is the same.

A careful user can manage it but never should it be recommended to just leave files in Overwrite.

Even more so in these Official Support Forums.

It is not Officially Supported.

[Edit]

Reviewing the posts above some points of uncertainty need further clarity

TES5Edit Backup:

These are the original uncleaned files. The cleaned files should be in the original mod folder for vanilla files that means the real Data folder. If Mod Organizer doesn't know where that is then they will be in Overwrite folder itself. Only original files are in TES5Edit Backup folder.

Dynamic Patchers:

FNIS Results, Bashed Patch, SkyProc Patchers (Reproccer and SUM output).

Special care must be taken with these as they are repeatably made and are profile specific.

When a mod is made for these outputs, the previous versions contents should be always deleted and never just overwritten with new content. Old files could remain otherwise.

Merge Patches:

Not always profile specific but extra care must be taken to ensure the contents are known and requirements are met.

Character Creation

I believe mostly the *.Tri file outputs would be deleted normally but any Presets you make using Race Menu at least require saving to use again. With this one i am not certain about *.Tri files importance and ECE I've never used.

Edited by Uhuru

Each time I run Skyrim I find the following Folders/Files in my overwrite folder.First there is the SKES_Elys_AltF4.log.Log contents:

Plugin name: SKSE_Elys_AltF4
Plugin version: 1.0.0.0
Plugin path: D:GamesThe Elder Scrolls V SkyrimdataSKSEPlugins
SKSE version: 1.6.16.0
Game version: 1.9.32.0

Plugin enabled. Starting hooks sequence...

Installing hook for: DirectInput8Create
Original Opcodes: 8BFF558BEC81EC30
Hook installed for: DirectInput8Create

Installing hook for: DirectInput8.CreateDevice
Original Opcodes: 8BFF558BEC568B75
Hook installed for: DirectInput8.CreateDevice

Installing hook for: DirectInputDevice8.SetCooperativeLevel
Original Opcodes: 8BFF558BEC538B5D
Hook installed for: DirectInputDevice8.SetCooperativeLeveland then there is the meshes/cache/*.tri files that are generated, the same files are generated every time.Contents of meshes/cache/A60B4886.tri712129F0.tri64247E0D.tri6D190C3C.tri6D1D154E.triAny idea what is generating them?Can I safely ignore them?

I've searched this forum looking for 'tri' and found two threads. Thread one and thread two. Pointed to the relevant post in the threads. It also contains a comment of I believe the author of Racemenu: 

Yes. The alternative is to catch the game closing and delete them then, but it's not always guaranteed that you are closing the game safely (exiting from the menu) rather than a forced exit or a crash. The hook deletes them when the game starts, which means it makes no difference if you delete them before you start.

I hope this answers your question. Perhaps best to create a ticket for it in the bug genie tracker so Tannin can have a look at it. Otherwise the issue is bound be snowed under here.

Thank you Uhuru, and GSDfan.

Now that I have > 250 .esp, I'm trying to merge mods.

The merged .esp I'm creating are in this "overwritting folder" (= data)

I'm replacing them in their main mod.

For exemple: TTYM (Think to yourself Messages).

I have TTYM and TTYM Frostfall module.

I merged their two .esp in "TTYM - merged files.esp" (that appears in the overwritting folder), and I moved it in the "TTYM" (in the left part of MO).

I hope it will work fine.

Edited by Sarou89

Thank you Uhuru, and GDSfan.

Now that I have > 250 .esp, I'm trying to merge mods.

The merged .esp I'm creating are in this "overwritting folder" (= data)

I'm replacing them in their main mod.

For exemple: TTYM (Think to yourself Messages).

I have TTYM and TTYM Frostfall module.

I merged their two .esp in "TTYM - merged files.esp" (that appears in the overwritting folder), and I moved it in the "TTYM" (in the left part of MO).

I hope it will work fine.

That should work fine, I do it that way myself. One word of caution. I was right clicking the originating mod and selecting open in explorer and then double clicking the overwrite folder to open it up and dragging the new ESP to the other folder. In the process I managed to drop the ESP into one of the mods in the left pane. Had to go searching for it as I did not see where it dropped.