Good times.

FamousDeadGuy

Question

So I have had a flawless experience after incrementally adding mods and testing them after installing STEP Core. But I have this AWESOME CTD that I cannot figure out. I have my Load order and my papyrus log. I am about to say screw it and wipe it all. I hate when this happens. You finally get all the things you want, then some random script somewhere decides to crash you. 

Load Order - https://pastebin.com/DMV0rLrb

Papyrus Log - https://pastebin.com/qXZSwrpr

Any help would be appreciated. Teaching me how to fix it would be even better. Thanks, fellas.

SO... the first thing that screams to me in need of removal is/areASIS.espASIS-Dependency.espThen I would removemanny Lantern Caretakers.espBirdsHFclean.espdynamic fires.espOblivion Gates.espOblivion Gates v3 without Markers - Skyrim + Dawnguard DLC.espOblivion Gates v3 - Skyrim + Dawnguard DLC.espMore out of personal preference, but since I can't really say more without knowing where or what you are doing when you crash I can't give any more specific advice. ASIS just causes too many problems from what I've seen to be worth it. The birds mods add scripts, so do Dynamic fires IIRC and the Oblivion gates are just a... why? to me.

Then I would removemanny Lantern Caretakers.espBirdsHFclean.espdynamic fires.espOblivion Gates.espOblivion Gates v3 without Markers - Skyrim + Dawnguard DLC.espOblivion Gates v3 - Skyrim + Dawnguard DLC.esp

Well all of these are part of STEP 2.2.8 though :pAlthough you're supposed to only use one of the Oblivion Gates.esp, OP.

i wish I could show you guys my Mod Organizer set up.... I don't think it's the oblivion gates because I probably played 100 hours with all three of them. I think that it might be asis being too aggressive. Can anyone glean anything from the papyrus log?

SO... the first thing that screams to me in need of removal is/areASIS.espASIS-Dependency.espThen I would removemanny Lantern Caretakers.espBirdsHFclean.espdynamic fires.espOblivion Gates.espOblivion Gates v3 without Markers - Skyrim + Dawnguard DLC.espOblivion Gates v3 - Skyrim + Dawnguard DLC.espMore out of personal preference, but since I can't really say more without knowing where or what you are doing when you crash I can't give any more specific advice. ASIS just causes too many problems from what I've seen to be worth it. The birds mods add scripts, so do Dynamic fires IIRC and the Oblivion gates are just a... why? to me.

I am walking to rescue the Priest of Arkay for the Dawnguard. It is happening in the wilderness... completely random.

It is giving me the error sign at the top of Mod organizer, saying to move mods around in the load order.. should I do this manually?

That papyrus log shows no error whatsoever. It is also worth noting that papyrus logs aren't error logs, they can sometimes tell you if a script backfired, but most of the time papyrus doesn't have time to log anything when the game crashes anyway...

i wish I could show you guys my Mod Organizer set up.... I don't think it's the oblivion gates because I probably played 100 hours with all three of them. I think that it might be asis being too aggressive. Can anyone glean anything from the papyrus log?

Actually, Mod organizer stores your mod list in "Mod Organizerprofilesmodlist.txt"Regardless of that, from looking at your load order, you didn't add custom BOSS rules to sort the following files:STEP Core Patch.espSkyFalls + SkyMills + DG + DB.espImproved Closefaced Helmets_Legendary.espHothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.espThey're all out of place, which just causes trouble, especially since you're running a SkyProc Patcher (ASIS and DSR)The STEP guide tells you where the three first files go. The hothtrooper plugin however can be loaded anywhere so that doesn't matter.

That papyrus log shows no error whatsoever. It is also worth noting that papyrus logs aren't error logs, they can sometimes tell you if a script backfired, but most of the time papyrus doesn't have time to log anything when the game crashes anyway...Actually, Mod organizer stores your mod list in "Mod Organizerprofiles<Profile Name>modlist.txt"Regardless of that, from looking at your load order, you didn't add custom BOSS rules to sort the following files:STEP Core Patch.espSkyFalls + SkyMills + DG + DB.espImproved Closefaced Helmets_Legendary.espHothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.espThey're all out of place, which just causes trouble, especially since you're running a SkyProc Patcher (ASIS and DSR)The STEP guide tells you where the three first files go. The hothtrooper plugin however can be loaded anywhere so that doesn't matter.

Woah, what? How did I miss that?! Ok, I will take a look at those three. Is there a specific reason that ASIS is such a pain? One other thing, I am assuming that I run BUM through the MO to address this issue? I can find specifics on where to put the STEP Core Patch and for the others. So do I just open BUM and make specific rules to fix this?

Edited by FamousDeadGuy

You should take a look at Neovalen's Skyrim Revisited Guide it'll tell you how and where to sort them (and how to setup and use BUM). ASIS has been a pain since day one I noticed issues with it before, z929669 has also had problems with it recently, though I think he and CJ might have fixed them. To be honest I think even when it's working properly it's buggy.

Woah, what? How did I miss that?! Ok, I will take a look at those three. Is there a specific reason that ASIS is such a pain? One other thing, I am assuming that I run BUM through the MO to address this issue? I can find specifics on where to put the STEP Core Patch and for the others. So do I just open BUM and make specific rules to fix this?

Yeah you have to do it via BUM.The STEP core patch I'd recommend to put just before the bashed patch, in your case. (If you had lighting mods, it would probably have to go before them)The others 2 plugins have instructions for the load order in STEP.

You should take a look at Neovalen's Skyrim Revisited Guide it'll tell you how and where to sort them (and how to setup and use BUM). ASIS has been a pain since day one I noticed issues with it before, z929669 has also had problems with it recently, though I think he and CJ might have fixed them. To be honest I think even when it's working properly it's buggy.
I didn't fix anything, Dienes did with his new version of ASIS (which I completely forgot about now, btw) :P

@FamousDeadGuy: Here's a link to said version of ASIS: https://db.tt/9E9rxiIG

It's got a shitton of bug fixes, and is much more stable, as long as you're not using the increased spawns option with the apocalypse mod installed anyway.

Edited by CJ2311

Yeah you have to do it via BUM.The STEP core patch I'd recommend to put just before the bashed patch, in your case. (If you had lighting mods, it would probably have to go before them)The others 2 plugins have instructions for the load order in STEP.

I didn't fix anything, Dienes did with his new version of ASIS (which I completely forgot about now, btw) :P

@FamousDeadGuy: Here's a link to said version of ASIS: https://db.tt/9E9rxiIG

It's got a shitton of bug fixes, and is much more stable, as long as you're not using the increased spawns option with the apocalypse mod installed anyway.

Every time I try to change a user rule it tells me the rule is redundant, should I switch to override? 

I took a look at that page and I think it is outdated... It mentions BUM  but doesn't explain how to use it.

Oh man, I smell a start up CTD coming up with all of these changes. I removed the redundant .esp's concerning the oblivion gates. Did the Boss>Rebuild Bashed Patch> FNIS>SUM.

Then I tried to use BUM to set user rules and it says that because the mods aren't recognized by the masterlist that they can't have overridden rules. What the heck? I also noticed that after using BUM to make those user rules the mod order in mod organizer did not change. Can I just move the four mods manually and lock them in the load order through Mod Organizer? This is a massive ass-pain.

Edited by FamousDeadGuy

Every time I try to change a user rule it tells me the rule is redundant, should I switch to override? 

I took a look at that page and I think it is outdated... It mentions BUM  but doesn't explain how to use it.

Neovalen's current, not outdated page is located here. His guide to using BUM is here.

Oh man, I smell a start up CTD coming up with all of these changes. I removed the redundant .esp's concerning the oblivion gates. Did the Boss>Rebuild Bashed Patch> FNIS>SUM.

Then I tried to use BUM to set user rules and it says that because the mods aren't recognized by the masterlist that they can't have overridden rules. What the heck? I also noticed that after using BUM to make those user rules the mod order in mod organizer did not change. Can I just move the four mods manually and lock them in the load order through Mod Organizer? This is a massive ass-pain.

You can move the ESPs manually, but you will have to move them again everytime you use BOSS. But if you know which ESP you wanted loaded after, use BUM and in the lower left window select the mod that does have a rule, click on it (it will appear in the upper left box with an ADD tag next to it). Then below that box, select AFTER (from the pull down) and enter the NAME of the ESP you would like it to appear after. Click "Save Rule" (in the upper middle between left and right main windows) and when closing BUM select save. This way you do not have to resort everytime you run BOSS.

Neovalen's current, not outdated page is located here. His guide to using BUM is here.

This guide doesn't tell me anything I haven't already figured out. when I right click to override it is greyed out, and when I set a user rule it will not apply it because ".esp is not on the masterlist" even thought that is THE REASON i have to move these manually in the first place. I am about to uninstall BUM and try moving them manually.

On an unrelated note, since i removed the oblivion gates the Dual sheath redux patcher won't remove those .esp from the dependencies, cause start up ctd's. 

Should I consider starting from scratch? This feel overwhelming, especially since I thought I followed the STEP guide to a T. 

You can move the ESPs manually, but you will have to move them again everytime you use BOSS. But if you know which ESP you wanted loaded after, use BUM and in the lower left window select the mod that does have a rule, click on it (it will appear in the upper left box with an ADD tag next to it). Then below that box, select AFTER (from the pull down) and enter the NAME of the ESP you would like it to appear after. Click "Save Rule" (in the upper middle between left and right main windows) and when closing BUM select save. This way you do not have to resort everytime you run BOSS.

I would love to, but it says every rule that I create using that method is "invalid".

You are running BUM through MO? You are using the lower left window to find the mod without a rule? You are using AFTER the from the drop down menu (upper left) in the box then appears below the ESP you selected (which should have the ADD tag to the left of it)? You are entering the 'exact name' of the ESP in the box next to the pulldown menu which you changed to read AFTER?