Good times.

FamousDeadGuy

Question

So I have had a flawless experience after incrementally adding mods and testing them after installing STEP Core. But I have this AWESOME CTD that I cannot figure out. I have my Load order and my papyrus log. I am about to say screw it and wipe it all. I hate when this happens. You finally get all the things you want, then some random script somewhere decides to crash you. 

Load Order - https://pastebin.com/DMV0rLrb

Papyrus Log - https://pastebin.com/qXZSwrpr

Any help would be appreciated. Teaching me how to fix it would be even better. Thanks, fellas.

Dude. Calm down, no need to get hostile we're trying to help you.  If you click on the links to the specific mods you're trying to solve it will tell you how to sort the mods i.e. whether or not you need to set it to AFTER, BOTTOM, OVERRIDE etc. I will also point out that you have a fair number of mods not supported by STEP and say that in my opinion I think part of your problem could be Amazing Follower Tweaks simply because it changes so much, I think for the most part people around here use Enhanced Follower Framework, though I haven't tried the latest version of AFT.

I'm fairly certain reading through Skyrim Revisited Legendary Edition and it's BOSS Masterlist instructions will sort you out in regards to your issues with BUM. Look through the relevant mod sections there. I'll even get you started.

Here are some of the relevant sections for your questions.

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited_-_Legendary_Edition#Configure_Mod_Organizer

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited_-_Legendary_Edition/BOSS_Masterlist_Updating

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited_-_Legendary_Edition#Immersive_Armors

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited_-_Legendary_Edition#SkyFalls_and_SkyMills_-_Animated_Distant_Waterfalls_and_WindMills

Dude. Calm down, no need to get hostile we're trying to help you.  If you click on the links to the specific mods you're trying to solve it will tell you how to sort the mods i.e. whether or not you need to set it to AFTER, BOTTOM, OVERRIDE etc. I will also point out that you have a fair number of mods not supported by STEP and say that in my opinion I think part of your problem could be Amazing Follower Tweaks simply because it changes so much, I think for the most part people around here use Enhanced Follower Framework, though I haven't tried the latest version of AFT.I'm fairly certain reading through Skyrim Revisited Legendary Edition and it's BOSS Masterlist instructions will sort you out in regards to your issues with BUM. Look through the relevant mod sections there. I'll even get you started.Here are some of the relevant sections for your questions.https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited_-_Legendary_Edition#Configure_Mod_Organizerhttps://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited_-_Legendary_Edition/BOSS_Masterlist_Updatinghttps://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited_-_Legendary_Edition#Immersive_Armorshttps://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited_-_Legendary_Edition#SkyFalls_and_SkyMills_-_Animated_Distant_Waterfalls_and_WindMills

No hostility intended, I am just frustrated that I broke it. =(

I will read through these last few posts, see if I can't figure anything out. Thanks.

You are running BUM through MO? You are using the lower left window to find the mod without a rule? You are using AFTER the from the drop down menu (upper left) in the box then appears below the ESP you selected (which should have the ADD tag to the left of it)? You are entering the 'exact name' of the ESP in the box next to the pulldown menu which you changed to read AFTER?

Bum through MO, check.

This is what I have tried: I see the unsorted mods in the lower left panel, when I click on a .esp name it displays it in the top left next to ADD/OVERRIDE/FOR, then I click on the button on top-center to see MY modlist, then I select the mod that I want from my list to associate with the original unsorted one. Say the STEP Core Patch.esp says "add" to the left in the drop down, and "AFTER" next to Bashed Patch, 0.esp. When I click save rule it says that the rule is redundant and forces me to change to OVERRIDE. Like this https://imgur.com/4EL5z9A

Not sure where to go from there.

Edited by FamousDeadGuy

After taking a look at those links, I am not really sure that my situation is salvageable short of one of you masters coming to my house, haha. I think I will just redo everything. I have a vanilla backup, so I guess I can just delete my profiles on mod manager and start from scratch. The most frustrating part is that the CTD was seemingly out of nowhere. I only added a few mods to it as well. Kind of disheartening. On the bright side, would the mod be able to be easily re-installed in the proper order? 

Bum through MO, check.

This is what I have tried: I see the unsorted mods in the lower left panel, when I click on a .esp name it displays it in the top left next to ADD/OVERRIDE/FOR, then I click on the button on top-center to see MY modlist, then I select the mod that I want from my list to associate with the original unsorted one. Say the STEP Core Patch.esp says "add" to the left in the drop down, and "AFTER" next to Bashed Patch, 0.esp. When I click save rule it says that the rule is redundant and forces me to change to OVERRIDE. Like this https://imgur.com/4EL5z9A

Not sure where to go from there.

You are not creating an OVERRIDE. You are creating a NEW rule. You must enter the exact name of the ESP you want the ESP without a rule to appear after. You only use OVERRIDE, when you are actually changing an existing rule, which you are not. You are creating a new rule. In the image, on the left, where is says currently Bashed Patch, 0.esp you would enter the name of what you want the ESP to appear after (by typing it). If this image is from you setup, the postion of these ESPs are all described in Skyrim Revisited: Legendary Edition. The link was provided earlier. It even tells you what to put in the AFTER box. Just copy and paste.

Thanks for the help, all. I am going to go ahead and just start over with the skyrim revisted legendary edition. I really think that I messed something up with SUM and BUM... or with running programs from inside of MO. I might have missed an .ini tweak here or there as well. I am a huge noob, and I think doing it over might not be a bad thing. Any tips on starting fresh with The Legendary Edition?

If the images are what you have here is what you need to do.

1. Left click "STEP Core Patch.esp". Change the "AFTER" to "TOP" and cut and paste "Bashed Patch" in the box to the right. Then click save rule.

2. Left click the Skyfall ESP and choose AFTER in the drop down menu. Cut and paste "SkyFalls + SkyMills Total edition.esp" in the box to the right. Then save the rule.

3. Improved Closed Faced helmets. Select it then again choose AFTER and in the box cut and paste "imp_helm.esp".

4. Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp is an empty ESP. If you use Mod Organizer to extract you BSAs, then that ESP in not needed. Navigate to your mod folder using Windows Explorer and delete it.

You could have found this all by yourself, just by reading the resources already provided.

If the images are what you have here is what you need to do.

1. Left click "STEP Core Patch.esp". Change the "AFTER" to "TOP" and cut and paste "Bashed Patch" in the box to the right. Then click save rule.

2. Left click the Skyfall ESP and choose AFTER in the drop down menu. Cut and paste "SkyFalls + SkyMills Total edition.esp" in the box to the right. Then save the rule.

3. Improved Closed Faced helmets. Select it then again choose AFTER and in the box cut and paste "imp_helm.esp".

4. Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp is an empty ESP. If you use Mod Organizer to extract you BSAs, then that ESP in not needed. Navigate to your mod folder using Windows Explorer and delete it.

You could have found this all by yourself, just by reading the resources already provided.

Then there is something that I was not understanding, because I even hunted down the authors FAQ page and still couldn't get BUM to move them. I did read the resources, I am not very experienced and thus did not understand what they were trying to tell me. Even if I got the .esp's to move, I would still have the issue of Dual Sheath Redux not working through SUM, Mod Organizer, or by patching manually. The Oblivion Gates esp's I had removed were masters to the patch that I couldn't deactivate without an immediate CTD on startup. Running SUM did not overwrite the changes to my modlist even though I was running it through Mod Organizer. 

Thanks for the step by step, but I really don't appreciate the obligatory "read the resources" comment at the end there. I came here for human interaction and assistance, not to be told to go read the documentation. (Which I did)

Either way, I doubt that would have solved my problem. I am sure that I messed up an .ini edit or tweak somewhere. Or one of the like, ten mods I added personally probably had random scripts that were causing me to CTD

My apologies for the snippy "read" comment. I am not sure what you mean by "move". Running BUM will not change your mod sort order by inself and there is nothing in my instructions that ask you to move anything. Your sort order will not change until you run BOSS using MOBUM just tells BOSS how to sort things. Any missing masters will cause immediate CTDs.

My apologies for the snippy "read" comment. I am not sure what you mean by "move". Running BUM will not change your mod sort order by inself and there is nothing in my instructions that ask you to move anything. Your sort order will not change until you run BOSS using MOBUM just tells BOSS how to sort things. Any missing masters will cause immediate CTDs.

...yeah, by move I meant the rules that I attempted to establish through BUM did not reflect on either BOSS after sorting or on my Mod Organizer. Actually, on BOSS it gave me errors for every move I made. I see now what I was doing wrong insofar as BUM and BOSS are concerned. Lesson learned. 

Too late for me, I am fresh installing. I never DDSopt'ed / Cleaned the Vanilla .esm's and I need to redo my file structure. I would also have to figure out how to add mods incrementally, to test them. I guess I could make separate profiles every time I want to add a mod. There are some I can't live without, ya know? Thanks again for the help!

You don't need to make new profiles every time you add a mod just if there is a new loadout you want to try such as Skyrim Revisited and STEP alongside one another or maybe a set of mods you want that don't get along with one another such as SkyRe and Reqieum.

You can clean the vanilla .esm's without redoing your setup. Just follow those links I gave you they ought to help you fix your problem. I'd take you through it step by step but Neovalen has the instructions down quite well.

You don't need to make new profiles every time you add a mod just if there is a new loadout you want to try such as Skyrim Revisited and STEP alongside one another or maybe a set of mods you want that don't get along with one another such as SkyRe and Reqieum.You can clean the vanilla .esm's without redoing your setup. Just follow those links I gave you they ought to help you fix your problem. I'd take you through it step by step but Neovalen has the instructions down quite well.

I am actually following the Skyrim Revisited right now. DDSopt is taking hours... hope it's worth it in the end! Already fresh installed Skyrim and working the Legendary Version instead.