Load Time Issue after SSME and ENBoost + Missing 'Familiar' texture & Bright Caves

diznanl

Question

Hey All,

I have three issues that I'm trying to resolve:

1. Load times are very long between interior/exterior locations since installing SSME and ENBoost

2. My familiar is invisible ... see attached screenshot

3. Extremely bright caves where snow or spiderwebs are involved

I have all of STEP Core as well as some additional mods that I enjoy.

I have no idea why load times have increased after installing SSME and ENBoost and none of the forums have said anything about load times increasing.  I followed the STEP configurations, though might have missed something, so I'm hoping someone can look at my inis to let me know if somethings wrong.

As for trying to fix the missing familiar, I looked for wolf textures and tried removing them, but the familiar is still invisible, so I added them back.  Not sure what is causing this.

Also, not sure why caves are so bright with snow and spiderwebs.  I've installed the ENB particle patch, though this didn't seem to help.

https://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1499

Thanks anyone, everyone, for your help!

diznanl

See attached for cave brightness issue.

Dark Fall Cave is the example.  Further in are more spiderwebs and snow.  It looks terrible.  Most caves are fine, but this is the biggest standout.

Thanks,

diznanl

15 answers to this question

Hey All,

1. Load times are very long between interior/exterior locations since installing SSME and ENBoost

1. Load times are reportedly longer since the Memory patch for some users, though I haven't experienced it myself. I wouldn't worry about it too much. How long (in seconds) are your loadscreens?

3. Do you have UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true in enblocal.ini?

Hey All,

1. Load times are reportedly longer since the Memory patch for some users, though I haven't experienced it myself. I wouldn't worry about it too much. How long (in seconds) are your loadscreens?

3. Do you have UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true in enblocal.ini?

loadscreens can last as long as 45-120 seconds, depending on whether I've visited the locale recently or not

UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true in my enblocal.ini

Thanks,

diznanl

How long were your loading times before ssme/enboost? Depending on your system specs the loading screen might take quite a while. Especially the speed of your HDD matters a lot if you use a lot of mods and the virtual drive of MO. With my SDD for exampel the loading never takes more than 5 seconds, even though the rest of my systems is ratehr mediocre (see signature).

How long were your loading times before ssme/enboost? Depending on your system specs the loading screen might take quite a while. Especially the speed of your HDD matters a lot if you use a lot of mods and the virtual drive of MO. With my SDD for exampel the loading never takes more than 5 seconds' date=' even though the rest of my systems is ratehr mediocre (see signature).[/quote']

@Nearox

Load times prior to using SSME and ENBoost were around 5-12 seconds, max.  I'm on a 7200RPM Western Digital or Samsung (can't recall), however, load times have significantly increased.

One interesting change since SSME and ENBoost is how I'm running windowed mode.  I've switched to the windowed mode included in the enblocal.ini vs. using a plugin or SKSE patch.  This is recommended in STEP.  Since the change, after about 5-10 seconds, I get a windows swirling/loading mouse icon for my mouse cursor.  Is this normal?  This has likely nothing to do with load times but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

diznanl

@EssArrBee and @Neerox ... thank you, this is as I thought. ENBoost will help with CTD but can increase loading screen times... I've had ZERO CTD since installing, thank Talos.

Sorry I was lazy about creating separate threads for texture issues, but is there anything I can do about my missing (invisible) familiar and / or the super bright cave issue?

Thanks,

diznanl

Your enblocal.ini has like 4 or 5 extra sections in it. [sKY]' date=' [iMAGEBASEDLIGHTING'], [WATER], [CLOUDSHADOWS], and [VOLUMETRICRAYS] are from enbseries.ini. Pretty sure those aren't doing anything positive.

Also, turn off Occlusion Culling.

enblocal.ini tweaks removed... I don't recall where these came from, whether added by me or not.  Thank you for the suggestions.  Loading times are the same, but hopefully, this speeds things up a bit.

diznanl

As long as we aren't talking 'inifinite" type screens, I'd put up with longer load screens if it ensure the game is loading cells and saves properly. Same logic I apply to the Papyrus fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS setting increase I use in my game.

Yes, it was widely reported, starting with Sheson that the memory patch could make loading duration a bit longer...think about it...you are now moving bigger chunks of data versus before when the game had to run its usual triage method of game data management.

The result should be smoother game play because stuff is loaded that wouldn't have been before the patch. This same concept applies to a certain degree with ENBoost as well

After all, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

As for your visual issues, if Shift-F12 doesn't cause them to go away...then you have mesh related issues or something else non-enb related going on or a ill-applied (SSAO/AA etc) GPU control panel setting...or less likely you are using particle related files that require some advanced effects with the ENB to be enabled...

Basically, it will be really easy to pin-point if ENB is the cause.

If Shift+F12 does "solve" the invisible/visual glitches than you have something wrong with your enb files and/or settings:

-either you have trash files from an old preset installation interfering or you fat-fingered something

-or you are using a bad preset that has issues

Edited by Kuldebar

@diznanl

I don't see anything in your skyrim/skyrimprefs.ini files that would lead to longer loading screen times.

What have you set for the two memory block allocation sizes in ssme.ini?

Also, your load order doesn't show what SKSE plugins you are using, and those can potentially affect loading screen times.

@EssArrBee

Could you explain why occlusion culling should be turned off in enblocal.ini?

That feature reduces the number of planes being rendered, and should help to increase FPS / performance a bit - which is exactly what I see when I enable it. 

I haven't read anything the links it to longer loading screen times or lowered performance, so it would be very helpful to know where you got that information from - TIA.

keithinhanoi, on 20 Apr 2014 - 5:59 PM, said:keithinhanoi, on 20 Apr 2014 - 5:59 PM, said:keithinhanoi, on 20 Apr 2014 - 5:59 PM, said:keithinhanoi, on 20 Apr 2014 - 5:59 PM, said:

Could you explain why occlusion culling should be turned off in enblocal.ini?

That's been a recommended setting (not sure that's still the case), it causes world map flickering or something...TBH even if there is flickering, it's not worth sacrificing, IMO.

The Skyrim Revisited Legendary Edition is a guide for a modded and stable Skyrim experience.https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited_-_Legendary_Edition

Under [PERFORMANCE], set EnableOcclusionCulling=false. This can cause flickering on the world map if enabled.

I always keep it enabled, noticed no downside.

Edited by Kuldebar

Does anyone know the texture responsible for the familiar summon? Personally, is not an enb issue though I'm using plenty of texture packs. Mod Organizer let's me drill down but I can't find it. I wouldn't jump in here but the Internet is mighty bare on this issue.

guthrien, on 20 Apr 2014 - 8:47 PM, said:guthrien, on 20 Apr 2014 - 8:47 PM, said:

Does anyone know the texture responsible for the familiar summon? Personally, is not an enb issue though I'm using plenty of texture packs. Mod Organizer let's me drill down but I can't find it. I wouldn't jump in here but the Internet is mighty bare on this issue.

It's probably a mesh related issue...if it was actually missing texture...well it'd be a purple/black Familiar... ::D: and not "invisible".

Example:

Posted Image

Now, textures can go missing if the associated mesh that references them is erroneous either in their design or from improper installation of files. SMiM can have this issue if the texture it references is missing or incorrect.

Edited by Kuldebar