Can't install Interesting NPC's 3.0.4 with MO

wolverine2710

Question

Using W7 64 bits and 64 bits 7zip. Interesting NPC's 3.0.4 does not install with MO. Its around 1880 MB unpacked and unpacked around 2.59 GB unpacked. 7zip reports 2 652 779 256 bytes.

Fomod Installer:

Installing it gives the error 'extracting failed'

Fomod external installer (NCC installer).

Set prefer to false to force the NCC installer. when installing I get the message "none one of the installers were able to handle that archive'. IIrc you get that message if either the zipfile is corrupt or the acutal compressing is different then what the extension suggests. Checked the file with tridnet and is say 100% 7z file.

The zip file "3DNPC v3_04-8429-3-04.7z"" is OK and can be tested OK and also be extracted. It turns out is does NOT have an installer and I just copied the contents of the data directory to a created /mods/Interesting NPC's " directory.

Question:

Could somebody install the mentioned mod to see if the issue can be reproduced or that it is just on my system.

I can use that information for a bug report ticket I will create.

I have this feeling there is a link between MO which only supports 32 bits programs and the fact that 2GB is 2097152 bytes. NPC's is greater then then 2 GB. I also have a problem with another BIG mod, skyrim immersive creatures, see this  thread.

Remark: An older version of NPC's "3DNPC v2_43_2 Beta-8429-2-43-2Beta.7z" which is much smaller (1391 MB) can be installed correctly.

Edit: The mod doesn't have an installer.

9 answers to this question

File size limitation is not related to 32/64bit architecture at all. That's file system limitation, and I believe it's 4GB for FAT32, and "unlimited" with NTFS (which you are using for sure).

Maybe the author packed it with newer version of 7-Zip, which is incompatible with the one used in MO (9.20, almost four years old).

edit:

I happen to have the mod downloaded. I got MO 1.1.1 and didn't mess with plugins configuration at all because I don't understand the settings.

Installed the mod just fine. Just clicked ok and it processed without problems.

edit2: Looking at your other post, I think you have some general problem that's not related to individual mods at all.

Octopuss: Did you install with the integrated installer or the external?

I wouldn't be surprised if the NCC installer fails for such a large file. The archiver has two mods of operation: In one it's ridiculously slow to display menus because it will extract files (i.e. images) individually so if the archive is solid it will extract the whole archive once for each file to display.

In the other mode it creates a buffer in memory for the whole file, then extracts the file to another buffer. Thus it requires archive-size * 2 Bytes of memory (esp. address space). Since it's compiled as a 32-bit app that won't work for archives > 2GB.

Please remember NCC is based on NMM code, I'm not touching that area of the code because then I will have to keep patching it every time I update.

When installing mods MO uses an installer. Those are plugins and you can find them in settings->plugins. When a mod has no installer the 'manual installer' or 'simple installer' plugin is used. If a mod has a fancy installer (you get a nice menu which options to choose from, it is handled by 'fomod installer' or 'fomod installer external'. The latter uses NCC (a command line version of NMM and based upon that code. By default 'fomod installer' is used but by setting prefer to false in the plugin the NCC based on is used. Fomod installer is created by Tannin. In the past some mods could not be handled by fomod installer. Atm can't recall a mod which does not install with it. There is also info about it in the MO wiki. I hope this helps a bit.

Edit: Curious when the 'simple installer' is used!!

Octopuss wrote:

Looking at your other post, I think you have some general problem that's not related to individual mods at all.

It seemed as if I had gremlins lurking in my much upgraded MO folder. I installed a fresh MO 1.1.1 with the installer. As I didn't had changed the categories and I had an empty ovewrite directory  I simply copied the profiles and mods directory to the new MO directory. 

The mod doesn't have an installer. It installs correctly now..

Fingers crossed and the exterminator is on the speed dial....

Tbh that does not tell me anything new. Do you have examples of mods (or mods with a certain directory structure that use it.

I think most mods that don't provide options use this structure:

A mod consisting only of an esp is the simplest case, like this:

|-> someplugin.esp

Or an esp and a bsa which should cover most mods out there:

|-> someplugin.esp

|-> someplugin.bsa

Or assets

|-> textures

|   -> sometex.dds

|-> meshes

|   -> somemesh.nif

MO will also "dig" any number of levels deep to find structure like this, as long is it's not "skipping" any files. i.e. this would be handled by the simple plugin

|-> Sample Mod

|   -> data

|      -> someplugin.esp

|      -> textures

|         -> sometex.dds

But this wouldn't:

|-> data

|   -> someplugin.esp

|-> readme.txt

Mods can be incorrectly handled by the simple installer, i.e. if they have this structure:

|-> someplugin.esp

|-> hi-res variant

|   -> textures

|      -> sometex1024.dds

|-> lo-res variant

|   -> textures

|      -> sometex2048.dds

But to my knowledge none of the available mod managers handles this kind of mods correctly so they are reasonably rare.