Installing patches for mods

Octopuss

Question

14 answers to this question

Depends on how much control you feel the need for. Most patches you just merge into the existing mod folder... unless you want a seperate folder for every single patch.

Same with optionals, since they often overwrite something from the main mod. Load order for patches is mostly done by BOSS. If not then in case of patches, then after the mod the patch is for. If an optional then most likely after the parent mod.

Hope that answers it.

Well, it seems like having some control over it is a good idea, because new versions of patches are sometimes released, and having vanilla versions of mods could be helpful when troubleshooting something.

I am not sure where does BOSS come in, because most stuff are loose files, and I believe BOSS only works with those main types of files?

Just be careful when installing mods to check the name that MO tries to give the mod. Sometimes it can get a little screwy with the naming.

EDIT: Also, BOSS is not for assets like textures and meshes. It sorts the plugins (.esp or .esm) files in the correct order so they are correct when Skyrim is started.

Another good reason to give the Patch a different name is if something is wrong with it and you get a cdt or something, you can disable it and still have the original mod intact. This happened to me when I installed a new version of a mod to a different name. I started to get CDT on the crafting menu with a few items. Re-enabling the original mod fixed the problem. In the end a re-download of the updated mod fixed the problem.

Any update or patch the has loose files must have a higher priority than the main mod.

Any update or patch the has loose files must have a higher priority than the main mod.

That's done simply by putting the patch after the main mod, right? Just making sure.

Also since I obviously thought everything works differently, let's have an example:

I install Dual Sheath Redux mod, which has optional compatibility patch "aMidianborn Book of SIlence pack". How do I install that? After Dual Sheath Redux, or after the main aMidianborn Book of Silence mod?

Man this is more complicated than I thought.

Well, the basic rule is: if it's an update or an optional file (for example different colour for an armor mod), you install it and load it after the main mod. If it's a patch to resolve a conflict between 2 mods, you install it and load it after both mods.

It all depends on what exactly the given patch does though

For a normal DSR mesh pack it can be installed anywhere as it just adds meshes and not replace any. For an "On Back" mesh pack you want to load them after said mods since they also remove the rings of the normal sword sheath.

Personally, I load DSR and it's mesh packs AFTER all my weapon/shield/armor mods and then install the mesh packs in order that I have said mods installed.

Oh, my forum search-fu is apparently failing me..

So the broadest answer to where compatibility patches/add-ons/optionals need to go is "it depends". It would be really helpful if the STEP guide was more specific about this, because I totally messed things up during my first install using 2.2.7. I just merged every noted patch/optional straight into their respective main mods when it was up on the mods list.. :p

It's also very helpful to have them in separate directories to be able to just uncheck them for different profiles without having to reinstall the whole mod. Being able to uncheck Requiem patches, SkyRe patches, Civil War Overhaul patches etc lets me jump between different configurations (and with the local save options, saved game sets) very quickly.