ENB for SR:LE going forward

While I agree on the points about interiors then only up to a point. Many caves, dungeons etc. have braziers, and or torches. Realistically then rock and especially bright rock is rather reflective, hence it would actually not be pitch black quite far from the light source. Also realism aside one has to consider that it is a game.. and pitch black is just annoying even in the best of cases. High contrasts ruin quite a few things after all.

As for nights and moons... then well as a former student of astrophysics.. then those moons do not make much sense... considering their size then the tidal forces on Nirn would be MASSIVE.. unless for some strange reason the moons got the density of a sponge. This is also part of the reason why I reduce their sizes by 20% since then they are a bit more believable for me, yet keep that artistic fantasy feel you get by having two rather large moons. Also it makes the vanilla textures look less stretched.

I have actually also been messing with the idea to just mute all the colors in my ENB and send it to Neo hehehe. Since I do have the lighting down almost perfectly now, and support everywhere and everything CoT related. However atm this idea is only on the drawing board, not an actual feature.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree on the points about interiors then only up to a point. Many caves, dungeons etc. have braziers, and or torches. Realistically then rock and especially bright rock is rather reflective, hence it would actually not be pitch black quite far from the light source. Also realism aside one has to consider that it is a game.. and pitch black is just annoying even in the best of cases. High contrasts ruin quite a few things after all.

As for nights and moons... then well as a former student of astrophysics.. then those moons do not make much sense... considering their size then the tidal forces on Nirn would be MASSIVE.. unless for some strange reason the moons got the density of a sponge. This is also part of the reason why I reduce their sizes by 20% since then they are a bit more believable for me, yet keep that artistic fantasy feel you get by having two rather large moons. Also it makes the vanilla textures look less stretched.

I have actually also been messing with the idea to just mute all the colors in my ENB and send it to Neo hehehe. Since I do have the lighting down almost perfectly now, and support everywhere and everything CoT related. However atm this idea is only on the drawing board, not an actual feature.

Indeed, if you really want realism lighting wise inside caves, passages between chambers without torches or holes for the moonlight to enter are going to be pitch dark, which is just annoying if we consider this is a game.

I think it all comes down to what Faylon said: "I think it's actually just the atmosphere that we're really after".

Little question and sorry if this is off topic is way out of line, but how are you reducing moon sizes? 26 Moon Size Tweeks by akindain?

Lighting does depend on where you are in the hemisphere, real nights can be pretty dark even on cloudless nights, a lot of the time you can see well enough without a torch but there are plenty of instances when you can't see well at all. I remember having to navigate a river / road at night on a motorbike (lights not working) by kneeling on the seat (deep water) and looking up at the gap between the trees over the river to navigate because I sure as sh*t couldn't see much in front. Where there is no light source then there is no light. Now obviously on nights where the moons are out then it is going to be fairly bright but when they are not then it will be equally dark. You talk about a game, well it is by far much more fun when you can be completely surprised by an attack than when you can see it coming, makes you play with your heart in your mouth, adrenaline and all that. Going out at night should be a great deal more dangerous than going out in the day. Most sensible people would be at home or in an Inn at night time not wandering about in a creature / bandit infested wilderness you would have to be some kind of fool or insanely brave to do that and most people are sensible. Which is the point of having darker nights, to force you to role play. Of course that does not mean that every night and or every dungeon / cave must be dark but where there is light let there be light and where there isn't then get that torch out and let the dice fall where they may.

:)

The idea is decent enough, the main problem is that it does not have the ability to distinguish between weathers. Hence you will also get the brightness increase during snow storm, and overcast weather. For this reason alone I do not find it useful enough to warrant the extra script running.

Guess one could build on top of the idea and make it entirely CoT compatible with full weather support. Guess I should look into that on a rainy day.

Thank you z929669 for the comparison shots.

I just want to be sure that I installed the Phinix Natural ENB correctly for the Revisited Legendary Edition,

so it would be great if someone could have a look:

I installed ENB Version 0.246, the Wrapper Version, only the d3d9.dll and enbhost.exe

Then I used the premade enblocal.ini of the guide and everything in the Phinix Natural ENB file except

the enbhost.exe

There was no extra enblocal.ini

Is there any way I the Phinix Natural ENB more compatible with Climates of Tamriel?

Thank you very much :)

Thank you z929669 for the comparison shots.

I just want to be sure that I installed the Phinix Natural ENB correctly for the Revisited Legendary Edition,

so it would be great if someone could have a look:

I installed ENB Version 0.246, the Wrapper Version, only the d3d9.dll and enbhost.exe

Then I used the premade enblocal.ini of the guide and everything in the Phinix Natural ENB file except

the enbhost.exe

There was no extra enblocal.ini

Is there any way I the Phinix Natural ENB more compatible with Climates of Tamriel?

Thank you very much :)

CoT compat could be difficult, but Unbleak ENB has a plugin download that fixes nights compat with CoT, so you might try that. No guarantees that this will work without significant tweaking enbseries and fx files though.

enbhost.exe is essential but same in both, so keep whichever ... that is the guts of ENBoost.

Well I recently installed the new Grim and Somber ENB for my SR:LE (plus other mods) Skyrim installation.

As to your requirements here's my judgement:

1. Yes. Mod does not have a prerequisite for darker dungeons as it's already tweaked, compared to the Somber ENB which required the mod.

2. Nights are not completely dark but not completely light either. Light comes from moons and/or torches.

3. Yes I think it is subtle enough but it's tweakable.

4. Yes.

5. Yes. I also use the ELFX enhancer.

6. Yes.

7. Yes. 2.50 binaries as we speak.

8. Yes. My setup has 40+ minimum fps.

9. Yes. Haven't encountered this effect either.

10. Yes.

11. Other: I use the extra ENB textures for Realistic Water Two, and have setup the "water" and "underwater" parts of the ENB accordingly. Result is amazing.

So I think you should give it a shot. 

Makes the game like a movie and has grain effect and vignette on by default. I don't like grain so I disable it :)