Would changing resolution cause CTD?

Chryma

Question

Hi all. Trying to play Skyrim on a projector that can only project 1280x1024. I could only achieve this by changing the skyrimprefs value under display. The game worked fine for about 20 minutes and it was amazing, but then it CTDed. CTDs on my playthrough are pretty common but I'm wondering if this could have anything to do with it? Or if anyone can help me understand the papyrus log and help trouble shoot it.

This is my load order: https://pastebin.com/FegJpZUs

And my papyrus log: https://pastebin.com/FrSbDj2i

8 answers to this question

Any resolution issues would be apparent quickly... Since it is not a large resolution then it would be kinda unlikely that it causes more CTD´s.

The only way I can think of where this would happen is if you had a large resolution relative to the amount of VRAM you have. However that resolution should not be an issue.

About that rest someone else is going to have to chip in.

CDT are hard to pinpoint.

It could be you are hitting the memory limit of the game itself or it could any one of your mods. You might try one of the ENBs with ENBoost. I use Phinx on my system. This is a quote from the front page:

ENBOOST MEMORY/CTD REDUCTION INCLUDED: PNENB includes the latest ENB memory stability technology (dubbed "ENBoost"), which vastly improves performance. ENBoost allows the game access to additional memory through the enbhost process, and simultaneously performs compression and dynamic unloading to reduce overall memory use, ensuring the game doesn't pass the critical RAM usage limit that typically results in memory-related CTD crashes.

I see you have Skyrim redone installed. Skyrim redone touches a lot of things in game. I could never get it to run with a lot of mods. I had to cut them down to about half before I saw any improvement and I had to make a compatibility patch to boot.

I am currently testing a new load order after I started getting CDT in a couple of places while playing. So far I have found that the mods I want to have as my core mods do not cause the CDT and I am only about three quarters into the core list.

Also use make sure to use BOSS and to read the mod author suggestions on load order when installing mods. BOSS sometime will sort an ESP differently from where the author suggests. Use BOSS userlist manager to create a custom override for the ESP.

Yeah I've been modding for about 4 months I know all about load order, boss etc I've done it all. I think my next move is to start trimming mods down. I don't want to lose skyre but if it would possibly prevent crashes I could give it a shot.

Skyrim was the first game I modded even though I had Fallout. I never knew you could do that until Skyrim. I did the same thing, just threw a lot of mods at it not knowing the consequences of those actions. Who doesn't want all the cool things you see while browsing on the Nexus.

Guides like STEP and Skyrim Revisited are good starting points for people new to modding. I learned a lot about creating patches with TES5Edit from the Skyrim Revisited page. The current SR page has been frozen while a new one is being created. There is a lot of good information there.

Your priority order for your mods is messed up. Please move the Unofficial Patches in the following priority order:

Unofficial Skyrim Patch

Unofficial Dawnguard Patch

Unofficial Hearthfire Patch

Unofficial Dragonborn Patch

You may have other problems in your mods if you made that mistake. You have a lot of popular mods, but I'm not sure how all of them mix together.