Following STEP guide, SMIM info is outdated..?

DICEROLL

Question

Hi

I'm trying to follow the guide on the main page. But I've stopped where I met Static Mesh Improvement Mod in the list, and the information given in https://wiki.step-project.com/Static_Mesh_Improvement_Mod#Recommendations looks very poor to me. Cause I'm quite certain they are for an older version of SMIM, and then I see another point below saying "StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp is no longer necessary due to 100% OVERLAP with USP."

I don't get it, should I still install SMIM V1-56 :D? But what about the options..? They look different than what I read in STEP wiki, so how do I know what to do here? I use Mod Organizer btw.

Thanks, first time following STEP so far everything looks very promising.

7 answers to this question

You should install SMIM 1-56 then choose the option in MO that is just like the ones listed in the Recommendation for the mod. I haven't done the installer in a bit so I forget, but I think you choose Vanilla style barrels with animation and not sure about about second option. After install, leave the SMIM ESP unchecked since the USKP ESP will take care of the meshes that are included in the mod.

STEP recommends "SMIM Default" but with "02 Vanilla Barrel Textures Animations" and skipping the "40 Furniture Chests" as the only exceptions. Additionally, "18 Farmhouse Woven Fence Dense" should be disabled if you experience heavy flickering with the fences in villages.

Inside the installer, there are so many options, I select CUSTOM and then I only need to tick 'Modified Vanilla Barrels'..? And then press install?

I'm sorry, it's my first time using Mod Organizer. And I don't understand the special way to install this mod for STEP, could you please be more specific. Am I able to 'manually install' this through MO? Or it needs to be installed through the SMIM installer?

I will leave it for today and go to sleep :D I don't really want to miss this step I think.. I would be really really happy if someone can explain the installation of SMIM shortly

Do I need to install EVERYTHING else? Except the Furniture Chests and Farmhouse Woven Fence Dense (I remember flickering last time I tried SMIM but not with STEP)

The wording in Wiki could be improved.. so confusing.

Sorry for being stupid

Didn't mean to pump the thread, but I thank you for updating the wiki it cleared up everything!

I have one remaining question, why the ropes are not in 3D after I installed SMIM? I'm in Riverwood and the ropes on the posts are still just pure textures, I don't think Fence meshes are changed either :( should I worry about this or continue with my STEP installation?