Leaf Animation

Vond

To add to the list of tweaks, I ran across a document the other day that you can find here:https://www.docstoc.com/docs/113036856/skyrim_tweaking_guide_by_rookienoob-d4hlntm

Now, most of the stuff in there is quite obvious, but at the bottom of page 4 of the document was a tweak I had never seen mentioned before, and that actually made quite a nice difference performance-wise.

fLeafAnimDampenDistEnd=500.0000

fLeafAnimDampenDistStart=0.0000

The author claims that setting it to his recommended settings improved performance 20-30% and he calls it the "magic tweak". It is a tweak for people with CPU bottlenecks, and shouldn't really matter too much if your only bottleneck is GPU. This tweak changes how far away from the camera leaves are being animated. I didn't change it quite as drastically as he did, but I did put it down 50% from the Ultra-settings and so mine are now at:

fLeafAnimDampenDistEnd=2300.0000

fLeafAnimDampenDistStart=1800.0000

Did you check FPS? You could add this tweak to the ini section...

My fps is locked at 30 and doesn't really go lower than that, I just notice stuttering instead sometimes. An area where I used to drop to ~27 stayed put at 30 now though. And yeah, I guess it should be there instead. :)

Ah right, I forgot to post about it. I did notice about 3-4fps difference when changing from the default value to the 500/0 value. I ended up putting it those values myself however as mentioned in OP. :)

@Vond - does the fLeafAnimDampenDist* tweak apply to both the pine needle and the aspen leaf animations?

The tests I ran were only around aspen trees, so I can't say for sure. I would assume it's both though as it's a general tweak for leaves.