Static Mesh Improvement Mod

celroid

Question

What do I need to select according to the notes?

STEP recommends "SMIM Default" but with "02 Vanilla Barrel Textures Animations" as the only exception. Additionally, "18 Farmhouse Woven Fence Dense" should be disabled if you experience heavy flickering with the fences in villages.

• Performance and Baseline users should consider going with the Half-sized texture options and AVOIDING the lanterns altogether, as that add-on includes a texture that is 16x the size of vanilla with a whopping 2K texture! NOTE: Wearable Lanterns also includes a patch for the SMIM lantern, so be certain to include or avoid this accordingly.
  • StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp is no longer necessary due to 100% OVERLAP with USP.
There's no such thing as "SMIM Default" Just how outdated is STEP?

Posted Image

Posted Image

14 answers to this question

default means everything. And if you have dragonborn then the default with dragonborn.

Because if you install everything then it will use the authors default choices for all selections.

In this case and many other installers of similar type it is better to manually go in and pick your selections so you know what you are getting.

So it is not because STEP is outdated, just a bad use of words.

I can't find "02 Vanilla Barrel Textures Animations", "18 Farmhouse Woven Fence Dense" or "Half-sized texture options "

EDIT: Can anyone make a short tutorial on how to install this mod? I don't understand the recommendations.

You can also safely skip this mod. There are one or two mods that have files that allow them to be compatible but I believe they are just meshes/textures that just won't get loaded (or you can choose to not install them).

If you do want to sort of follow the guide, have a lightish install and still use MO to install it, I'd suggest hitting Custom then Next and check the following:

Modified Vanilla Barrels (either one, I'm impatient and don't like waiting on the animation ;))

Install Bridges

Install Clothing Fixes

Install Dwemer Clutter

Farmhouse Texture UV Fixes...

(SKIP woven fences)

Improved Food

Improved Furniture

SMIM Default (textures for the furniture)

Hawk Improvements (Dragonborn if you have it)

Install Human Skull Fixes

Install Nordic Tables and Benches

SMIM Tankards of your choice (but Half-Sized)

Half-Size

Default Heirloom

And that should be performance friendly depending on your system. You basically just need to avoid the large textures and the 3D chains, but I like 'Signs 3D Rings' I don't think they are THAT much more than vanilla, the others are quite a few more polygons.

I never checked to see if the 'Install 3D Skeletal Remains' just use the vanilla skeleton mesh or if they are new custom meshes, but they might be OK as well considering they should only be in dungeons.

You can also safely skip this mod. There are one or two mods that have files that allow them to be compatible but I believe they are just meshes/textures that just won't get loaded (or you can choose to not install them).

If you do want to sort of follow the guide, have a lightish install and still use MO to install it, I'd suggest hitting Custom then Next and check the following:

Modified Vanilla Barrels (either one, I'm impatient and don't like waiting on the animation ;))

Install Bridges

Install Clothing Fixes

Install Dwemer Clutter

Farmhouse Texture UV Fixes...

(SKIP woven fences)

Improved Food

Improved Furniture

SMIM Default (textures for the furniture)

Hawk Improvements (Dragonborn if you have it)

Install Human Skull Fixes

Install Nordic Tables and Benches

SMIM Tankards of your choice (but Half-Sized)

Half-Size

Default Heirloom

And that should be performance friendly depending on your system. You basically just need to avoid the large textures and the 3D chains, but I like 'Signs 3D Rings' I don't think they are THAT much more than vanilla, the others are quite a few more polygons.

I never checked to see if the 'Install 3D Skeletal Remains' just use the vanilla skeleton mesh or if they are new custom meshes, but they might be OK as well considering they should only be in dungeons.

Why would you skip this mod?