SFO issue (continued from another thread)

DoYouEvenModBro

Question

So I uninstalled the optional 4k high-res pines for SFO with the intent to decrease RAM usage, re installed SFO and then did "anneal all" in wrye bash in order to make sure everything was fine. I started playing, noticed SUBSTANTIALLY lower RAM usage (2.6 around falkreath vs like 3.061 with 4k pines) but I think something messed up because some pines still look really good and others look awful.

Look at these screenshots:

https://i.imgur.com/h3ZPwE1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/vw8BSmG.jpg

The pines on the left are incredibly low res (in the first picture) but the ones on the right are high res. What happened? It looks like vanilla textures. Seems too pixelated, even for 2k

13 answers to this question

The relevant textures are Vurt_pine01 and Vurt_pine02 for your issue.

One is more thick then the other, so it might be completely normal. Also if you are running with an ENB, then depending on EgdeAA and DoF settings you will get a more blurry pine structure which can wash out the texture a bit.

Also the texture I have looks fine.. but guess I could check ingame in detail this evening. Do honestly not recall the finer details of the pine structure.

The relevant textures are Vurt_pine01 and Vurt_pine02 for your issue.

One is more thick then the other, so it might be completely normal. Also if you are running with an ENB, then depending on EgdeAA and DoF settings you will get a more blurry pine structure which can wash out the texture a bit.

Also the texture I have looks fine.. but guess I could check ingame in detail this evening. Do honestly not recall the finer details of the pine structure.

Sure. That would be good. I'm assuming you aren't using any high-res pines. Just the default SFO file and optional 2k LoDs right? Let me know if it looks the same. I actually turned off edgeAA so I know it's not that. 

Okay the look is intentional. The one you compare with is from a bush that is of a higher "resolution"

The bigger pine trees have several parts in one texture, hence the resolution of every part is rather low.

The bush has just one part, hence it will look like it has a higher resolution.

If you can stand a tiny bit funny looking pine trees, you can replace vurt_pine02 with a copy of 01 and you will get a branch that is more transparent.

Other then that then you need a higher resolution of those two textures to make the resolution of each individual texture contained within higher.

Okay the look is intentional. The one you compare with is from a bush that is of a higher "resolution"

The bigger pine trees have several parts in one texture, hence the resolution of every part is rather low.

The bush has just one part, hence it will look like it has a higher resolution.

If you can stand a tiny bit funny looking pine trees, you can replace vurt_pine02 with a copy of 01 and you will get a branch that is more transparent.

Other then that then you need a higher resolution of those two textures to make the resolution of each individual texture contained within higher.

So just to confirm what you said because I am a bit unclear:

You are saying that your pines look like the ones in my screenshot and that those are the default ones that come with SFO unless you download the 4k or 8k high-res pines add-on?

Also, if I delete vurt_pine02 and replace it with 01 (meaning I will have 2 vurt_pine01 files in the folder), it would make it look a bit less blocky?

I tried to increase the resolution of the texture to 4k.. but nope if you want more transparency you are most likely going to have to recreate the alpha level of that particular texture from the ground up.

However there are two pine branch textures. vurt_pine01 and vurt_pine02.

02 is the blocky one, while the other has a slightly different color, but looks more transparent. If you make a backup of vurt_pine02 and then make a copy of vurt_pine01 and rename that to vurt_pine02. Then that texture will apply instead. It is not entirely created for that purpose, so the trees look a little bit funny, but you get more transparency.

I tried to increase the resolution of the texture to 4k.. but nope if you want more transparency you are most likely going to have to recreate the alpha level of that particular texture from the ground up.

However there are two pine branch textures. vurt_pine01 and vurt_pine02.

02 is the blocky one, while the other has a slightly different color, but looks more transparent. If you make a backup of vurt_pine02 and then make a copy of vurt_pine01 and rename that to vurt_pine02. Then that texture will apply instead. It is not entirely created for that purpose, so the trees look a little bit funny, but you get more transparency.

Oh ok. But what you're saying is that there's nothing wrong with my SFO file and the default pine02 is just blocky? 4k pines look soooo much better but unfortunately it uses soooo much RAM :-/.