Creating passthru lod meshes automatically?

johnsmitherino

Question

I'm in the process of creating passthru lods for Ulvenwald and it's seasonal variants by using this guide https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/Guide:Creating_Tree_LOD_Models. There is a lot of trees so it's taking quite some time to work through them all for what seems like a very repetitive copy and paste task. Is there any way of automatically generating these nifs?

Also, as a separate question, is there anything special I need to do for the seasonal variants? This is an example file name of what I've done: AlderGiant01_autumn_E0D96EAEpassthru_lod - Is this fine? Thanks.

3 answers to this question

30 minutes ago, johnsmitherino said:

I'm in the process of creating passthru lods for Ulvenwald and it's seasonal variants by using this guide https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/Guide:Creating_Tree_LOD_Models. There is a lot of trees so it's taking quite some time to work through them all for what seems like a very repetitive copy and paste task. Is there any way of automatically generating these nifs?

Also, as a separate question, is there anything special I need to do for the seasonal variants? This is an example file name of what I've done: AlderGiant01_autumn_E0D96EAEpassthru_lod - Is this fine? Thanks.

It's largely a manual process. You can speed it up and reduce repetition with some creative use of the DynDOLOD xEdit scripts for identifying and getting CRC32 for NIFs and by using Sniff to modify them. The hybrid tool for LODGen assembles the final result, so that's easy.

Questions about third party guides should be ask in the forum or forum section of the third party guide.

See https://dyndolod.info/Help/3D-Tree-LOD-Model. There is no automated tool to separate shapes into different NIFs.

Using the crowns from ridiculous detailed full models as is, typically means still way too complex 3D LOD models that will cause long generation time and GB of LOD meshes with high performance requirements. An actual optimized LOD models should be created with 3D editing tools.

The 3D LOD model filename convention is always the same, regardless of seasons being used.

2 hours ago, z929669 said:

It's largely a manual process. You can speed it up and reduce repetition with some creative use of the DynDOLOD xEdit scripts for identifying and getting CRC32 for NIFs and by using Sniff to modify them. The hybrid tool for LODGen assembles the final result, so that's easy.

Any chance you could elaborate on the use of Sniff? Can I use it to batch strip all the nifs down to just their trunk and crown tri shapes? I'm not using hybrids just yet, so separating trunk from crown isn't something I'm going to need until after I test with full models.