Fallout 4 VR: Record in file Fallout4.esm is being overridden by record

Vonklinkenhoffn

Question

Hi, I got the following error when trying to start TexGen, it's happening in 3 mods I have installed:

"TexGen

[Main Instruction]
Record [DOOR:00000004] in file Fallout4.esm is being overridden by record [GMST:00000004] in file Fallout 4 AI Overhaul.esp.

[Content]
These errors can cause CTD and other serious issues and need to be fixed."

I've read the provided info on the support page for DynDOLOD, and I see it says amongst other things that "In the best case scenario these errors cause CTD. In the worst case scenario these errors cause mysterious and hard to troubleshoot issues only once the affected records are used dozens of hours into the game."

What I find a bit strange though, is that on the Nexus page of these mods, there's no mention of any such issues from other users. I don't understand how this can be. I did let the mod authors know, and one responded that this has to do with the ESP being ESL flagged, when I can't use ESL because I play in VR. The explanation was that "some mods you can flag and unflag without problems but this has forms compacted from the CK to allow it to be ESP-FE. If that is removed it will try looking for the compacted form IDs that can cause those serious issues to happen."
The mod author was kind enough to upload a no forms compacted ESP file, for VR users like myself. 
However, after testing it yet again with TexGen, it still gave the same error message.

I then loaded the mod into xEdit and noticed that the Header Version was at 1.0, I believe for VR it need to be 0.95. I know that in order to change that, I had to change FormID first, so I right clicked the mod and selected the "Renumber formIDs from", I've heard that is the way to do it, but I'm not sure about what it should "start from", I believe it is 000800, but I'm not sure. Anyway I just tried 000800 and then I set the Header Version to 0.95 after and saved. Unfortunately that didn't do much for TexGen. 

Now I am at my wits' end, I have no idea what to do next. Do you think I did it wrong? Could there be something else going on? 

I have notified the mod author again, but have yet to see what new solutions may come.

Read https://dyndolod.info/Official-DynDOLOD-Support-Forum#Post-Logs which TexGen log and debug log to upload when making posts.

This is an error reported by the xEdit background loader.

Fallout4VR does not support form IDs in the range 0x000 to 0x7FF. It also does not support ESL flagged plugins. https://dyndolod.info/Messages/Record-Is-Being-Overridden.

This is is a well known and documented limitation. AFAIK there is no DLL yet to add support for the lower range form IDs and/or ESL support.

Form IDs need to be higher than 0x800.

If you have problems with using xEdit, you should report or ask for help on the xEdit discord.

Thank you for getting to me so quickly, I really appreciate it!

The part I mention about xEdit is just to inform of the steps I've taken to try and solve my issue. The issue itself stems from TexGen giving the error message, that's why I ask here. In the xEdit Disc they send TexGen questions here.

I'm aware that ESL is not supported in VR, that's why I got the mod author to upload a no forms compacted ESP version of the mod. The mod in question is "Fallout AI Overhaul" btw

However, this didn't seem to solve the problem, even though the mod is not an ESL, but a regular ESP, TexGen still gives the same error. 

This is when I went into xEdit and tried to further fix this myself, by "Renumber formIDs from" 000800 and change the header version too, as I explained earlier, since I also know that VR doesn't support header versions of 1.0, but it has to be set at 0.95 and formIDs changed too. So I did these things accordingly, and rerun TexGen in hopes that it now should run without issues, but it didn't. The same error message still comes up. 

At this point I can't see what the problem is, the mod is clearly an ESP, the formIDs and header version are within what VR needs too, but TexGen still doesn't like it, so I was hoping you'd might give some insight into what else might be wrong?

1 hour ago, Vonklinkenhoffn said:

Thank you for getting to me so quickly, I really appreciate it!

The part I mention about xEdit is just to inform of the steps I've taken to try and solve my issue. The issue itself stems from TexGen giving the error message, that's why I ask here. In the xEdit Disc they send TexGen questions here.

I'm aware that ESL is not supported in VR, that's why I got the mod author to upload a no forms compacted ESP version of the mod. The mod in question is "Fallout AI Overhaul" btw

However, this didn't seem to solve the problem, even though the mod is not an ESL, but a regular ESP, TexGen still gives the same error. 

This is when I went into xEdit and tried to further fix this myself, by "Renumber formIDs from" 000800 and change the header version too, as I explained earlier, since I also know that VR doesn't support header versions of 1.0, but it has to be set at 0.95 and formIDs changed too. So I did these things accordingly, and rerun TexGen in hopes that it now should run without issues, but it didn't. The same error message still comes up. 

At this point I can't see what the problem is, the mod is clearly an ESP, the formIDs and header version are within what VR needs too, but TexGen still doesn't like it, so I was hoping you'd might give some insight into what else might be wrong?

No logs, error messages or the updated plugin were provided.

If "the same error message still comes up" then the load order still contains the reported error.

Load the plugin in xEdit and check the background loader log messages for the x is being overridden by record y messages.

1 hour ago, sheson said:

No logs, error messages or the updated plugin were provided.

If "the same error message still comes up" then the load order still contains the reported error.

Load the plugin in xEdit and check the background loader log messages for the x is being overridden by record y messages.

Sorry, but I didn't provide it because I already did in the first post I made. It's the same error message still you see. It's not from xEdit however, it is TexGen that comes up with this message. xEdit doesn't say anything actually, not as I can see. In fact, everything in my MO2 load order as well as from xEdit seems totally fine for me. It's not until I try to run TexGen I get error messages. I will paste in the error message again here:

"TexGen

[Main Instruction]
Record [DOOR:00000004] in file Fallout4.esm is being overridden by record [GMST:00000004] in file Fallout 4 AI Overhaul.esp.

[Content]
These errors can cause CTD and other serious issues and need to be fixed."

So you see, this appear to have nothing to do with xEdit, however I just use xEdit to further try and see whatever TexGen might be talking about. So far I haven't been able to fix this. 

TexGen also provides a link to the guide for this issue, which is what I've been following when I've been trying to fix the issue. The link TexGen gives me is this: https://dyndolod.info/Messages/Record-Is-Being-Overridden 

So this is all TexGen finding an issue, I have tried using xEdit only as a tool for alleviating these issues, but it is only TexGen that reports on this apparent issue. This is also why I have to ask you about it, because nowhere else have I seen or heard about this, only from TexGen. Also if I press "Ignore" in the TexGen menu, it just pop up another message with the same issue with the same mod, but a different record. It apparently has problems with a lot of records in that mod, I counted over 20. 

18 minutes ago, Vonklinkenhoffn said:

Sorry, but I didn't provide it because I already did in the first post I made. It's the same error message still you see. It's not from xEdit however, it is TexGen that comes up with this message. xEdit doesn't say anything actually, not as I can see. In fact, everything in my MO2 load order as well as from xEdit seems totally fine for me. It's not until I try to run TexGen I get error messages. I will paste in the error message again here:

"TexGen

[Main Instruction]
Record [DOOR:00000004] in file Fallout4.esm is being overridden by record [GMST:00000004] in file Fallout 4 AI Overhaul.esp.

[Content]
These errors can cause CTD and other serious issues and need to be fixed."

So you see, this appear to have nothing to do with xEdit, however I just use xEdit to further try and see whatever TexGen might be talking about. So far I haven't been able to fix this. 

TexGen also provides a link to the guide for this issue, which is what I've been following when I've been trying to fix the issue. The link TexGen gives me is this: https://dyndolod.info/Messages/Record-Is-Being-Overridden 

So this is all TexGen finding an issue, I have tried using xEdit only as a tool for alleviating these issues, but it is only TexGen that reports on this apparent issue. This is also why I have to ask you about it, because nowhere else have I seen or heard about this, only from TexGen. Also if I press "Ignore" in the TexGen menu, it just pop up another message with the same issue with the same mod, but a different record. It apparently has problems with a lot of records in that mod, I counted over 20. 

No logs or modified plugin were provided. No xEdit log has been provided either.

TexGen/DynDOLOD is a modified xEdit. This error is reported by the xEdit background loader.

I asked you to load the plugin in xEdit and check the background loader log messages for the x is being overridden by record y messages. Are you reporting that this does not happen?

There should be no records having a form ID below 0x800.

1 hour ago, sheson said:

No logs or modified plugin were provided. No xEdit log has been provided either.

TexGen/DynDOLOD is a modified xEdit. This error is reported by the xEdit background loader.

I asked you to load the plugin in xEdit and check the background loader log messages for the x is being overridden by record y messages. Are you reporting that this does not happen?

There should be no records having a form ID below 0x800.

I see, I didn't know that, thanks for the clarification! I have loaded it up in xEdit but haven't seen any error messages, however I'm also not exactly a very experienced user when it comes to xEdit. I didn't understand I had to check for this in xEdit, I'll go se if I can find a background loader log message right away. 

I wasn't too sure where I would find the output, so I just copied the background loader in here: https://paste.ee/p/EQ9hO

I hope it will provide some insight into this. Thank you again for your help!

3 minutes ago, Vonklinkenhoffn said:

I see, I didn't know that, thanks for the clarification! I have loaded it up in xEdit but haven't seen any error messages, however I'm also not exactly a very experienced user when it comes to xEdit. I didn't understand I had to check for this in xEdit, I'll go se if I can find a background loader log message right away. 

I wasn't too sure where I would find the output, so I just copied the background loader in here: https://paste.ee/p/EQ9hO

I hope it will provide some insight into this. Thank you again for your help!

From the log:

[00:08] Background Loader: Warning: Record [DOOR:00000004] in file Fallout4.esm is being overridden by record [GMST:01000004] in file Fallout 4 AI Overhaul.esp.
[00:08] Background Loader: Warning: Record [STAT:00000005] in file Fallout4.esm is being overridden by record [GMST:01000005] in file Fallout 4 AI Overhaul.esp.
[00:08] Background Loader: Warning: Record [STAT:00000006] in file Fallout4.esm is being overridden by record [GMST:01000006] in file Fallout 4 AI Overhaul.esp.
[00:08] Background Loader: Warning: Record [NPC_:00000007] in file Fallout4.esm is being overridden by record [GMST:01000007] in file Fallout 4 AI Overhaul.esp.

There are many more.

If that is the plugin you already worked on with xEdit to change the form ID issue, then it didn't work as expect.

It may be because you used and older or newer version of xEdit that now works differently. Try with xEdit 4.0.3 and the original plugin.

You will have to ask on the xEdit discord or maybe check on a Fallout4 VR related forum. Maybe report the issue in case it didn't work with the most recent version so it can addressed.

6 hours ago, sheson said:

From the log:

[00:08] Background Loader: Warning: Record [DOOR:00000004] in file Fallout4.esm is being overridden by record [GMST:01000004] in file Fallout 4 AI Overhaul.esp.
[00:08] Background Loader: Warning: Record [STAT:00000005] in file Fallout4.esm is being overridden by record [GMST:01000005] in file Fallout 4 AI Overhaul.esp.
[00:08] Background Loader: Warning: Record [STAT:00000006] in file Fallout4.esm is being overridden by record [GMST:01000006] in file Fallout 4 AI Overhaul.esp.
[00:08] Background Loader: Warning: Record [NPC_:00000007] in file Fallout4.esm is being overridden by record [GMST:01000007] in file Fallout 4 AI Overhaul.esp.

There are many more.

If that is the plugin you already worked on with xEdit to change the form ID issue, then it didn't work as expect.

It may be because you used and older or newer version of xEdit that now works differently. Try with xEdit 4.0.3 and the original plugin.

You will have to ask on the xEdit discord or maybe check on a Fallout4 VR related forum. Maybe report the issue in case it didn't work with the most recent version so it can addressed.

I see, so there might not just be the mod that is faulty, it can be other things as well, like my xEdit version as you say. I will try to download a different version and see if that helps. I was just a bit scared to just go ahead and use the mod after I got the error message, on the support page it sounded so clear that I shouldn't use "a broken mod" and such. Maybe it is safe after all then, I hope I will get a different result with a different version indeed. 

Thank you again!

15 minutes ago, Vonklinkenhoffn said:

I see, so there might not just be the mod that is faulty, it can be other things as well, like my xEdit version as you say. I will try to download a different version and see if that helps. I was just a bit scared to just go ahead and use the mod after I got the error message, on the support page it sounded so clear that I shouldn't use "a broken mod" and such. Maybe it is safe after all then, I hope I will get a different result with a different version indeed. 

Thank you again!

No the plugin is not save to use with Fallout4 VR in this state. The records being overwritten will cause issue n the game and with saves that can not be fixed.

1 hour ago, sheson said:

No the plugin is not save to use with Fallout4 VR in this state. The records being overwritten will cause issue n the game and with saves that can not be fixed.

Ah dang it... I was hoping there might be some light in the end of the tunnel for me finally. Well, now I've downloaded xEdit 4.0.3 and reverted the plugin back to the original ESP. 
What was strange was that xEdit didn't seem to have any issues, so I ran TexGen, but then the error message came again. I then went into xEdit to check and this time the log was different, it suddenly had these errors again, however it doesn't seem to be the same kind of errors. Originally the errors were about records being overwritten, but this time it seems to be "Warning: File contains duplicated top level group:" kind of messages. I don't know if they are the same kind, but they don't seem like it. I just wonder though, why does TexGen give the same "records bein overwritten" error if xEdit does not? 
Here is the new log from xEdit 4.0.3 and the original plugin: https://paste.ee/p/SemeG

8 hours ago, Vonklinkenhoffn said:

Ah dang it... I was hoping there might be some light in the end of the tunnel for me finally. Well, now I've downloaded xEdit 4.0.3 and reverted the plugin back to the original ESP. 
What was strange was that xEdit didn't seem to have any issues, so I ran TexGen, but then the error message came again. I then went into xEdit to check and this time the log was different, it suddenly had these errors again, however it doesn't seem to be the same kind of errors. Originally the errors were about records being overwritten, but this time it seems to be "Warning: File contains duplicated top level group:" kind of messages. I don't know if they are the same kind, but they don't seem like it. I just wonder though, why does TexGen give the same "records bein overwritten" error if xEdit does not? 
Here is the new log from xEdit 4.0.3 and the original plugin: https://paste.ee/p/SemeG

The TexGen log, debug log or the plugin have not been provided.

The xEdit log is truncated, so it is unclear which xEdit version the xEdit log is from. I assume it is from xEdit 4.0.3.

TexGen is based on the latest xEdit version. Load the plugin with the latest xEdit version and check if the background loader reports x is being overridden by record y. If not, make sure TexGen loads the same plugin.

In any case, you can also just check if the plugin contains records with form IDs < 0x800 manually.

2 hours ago, sheson said:

The TexGen log, debug log or the plugin have not been provided.

The xEdit log is truncated, so it is unclear which xEdit version the xEdit log is from. I assume it is from xEdit 4.0.3.

TexGen is based on the latest xEdit version. Load the plugin with the latest xEdit version and check if the background loader reports x is being overridden by record y. If not, make sure TexGen loads the same plugin.

In any case, you can also just check if the plugin contains records with form IDs < 0x800 manually.

I see.. ah, yes it's from xEdit 4.0.3, sorry I didn't think you needed the other stuff with where it was located and such. 

So you're saying that the latest TexGen is based on the latest xEdit, which would be 4.1.5? I haven't downloaded that one yet because it says "experimental", so I figured I'd wait it out. I'll go ahead and try it as soon as I get the chance today.

I also know that the original plugin as it is now has a header version of 1.0, which also would mean that there would be records that needs to be changed as well, doesn't it? I've learned that this has to be 0.95 for VR. But I also have to change the records before changing version header. I've previously just done this with the script "Renumber FormIds from..." option and set it to 0008000.

I haven't done anything with the current version of the mod though, I just wanted to keep it "clean" so I could see if TexGen reacted to it or not without my meddling. I can try and edit it again with the latest xEdit too and see if I get a different outcome.

4 hours ago, Vonklinkenhoffn said:

I see.. ah, yes it's from xEdit 4.0.3, sorry I didn't think you needed the other stuff with where it was located and such. 

So you're saying that the latest TexGen is based on the latest xEdit, which would be 4.1.5? I haven't downloaded that one yet because it says "experimental", so I figured I'd wait it out. I'll go ahead and try it as soon as I get the chance today.

I also know that the original plugin as it is now has a header version of 1.0, which also would mean that there would be records that needs to be changed as well, doesn't it? I've learned that this has to be 0.95 for VR. But I also have to change the records before changing version header. I've previously just done this with the script "Renumber FormIds from..." option and set it to 0008000.

I haven't done anything with the current version of the mod though, I just wanted to keep it "clean" so I could see if TexGen reacted to it or not without my meddling. I can try and edit it again with the latest xEdit too and see if I get a different outcome.

XLODGen, TexGen and DynDOLOD are all based on the latest xEdit sources available on github, so they closely follow the builds posted on the xEdit Discord.

Fallout4VR needs plugins version 0.95 and formIDs over 0x800.

How and which xEdit version works best to change the formIDs is probably best asked on the xEdit discord or maybe experienced people of the FO4VR community that must deal with issue on a daily basis.

40 minutes ago, sheson said:

XLODGen, TexGen and DynDOLOD are all based on the latest xEdit sources available on github, so they closely follow the builds posted on the xEdit Discord.

How and which xEdit version works best to change the formIDs is probably best asked on the xEdit discord or maybe experienced people of the FO4VR community that must deal with issue on a daily basis.

I see, that's very good to know! Yes indeed, I've asked the question about this on the xEdit Discord for FO4 now, so crossing my fingers someone will have some good intel for me there.

So maybe, if I'm lucky, then when I test TexGen with the newest xEdit later today, it might be working better, if I misunderstand you correctly so to speak. I'm very much hoping so.

Thank you again for all your help, I appreciate it so much!

8 hours ago, sheson said:

Hi again. So I downloaded the latest xEdit from discord, did the "renumber from" for the formIDs and set them from 000800, then I edited plugin version to 0.95.
Unfortunately that didn't do much difference. I feel like this is never going to get fixed, I'm starting to think that maybe these mods with these error messages simply can't be used for VR at all. At least I now understand better the connection between TexGen and xEdit, so thank you so much for the knowledge!
I have at least the latest background message log here though, in case you would have the time to look over it if there would be anything new, but I doubt it. I appretiate your efforts so much! I will take this to the xEdit discord as well. 
https://paste.ee/p/yGBUJ

Best Regards!