Full STEP Max textures + more = freeze

Aminados

Question

Alright, how do I explain the situation.....

Let's start by my system specs: I5 3570k Stock, Gtx 660 ti 3GB edition, 8 GB Ram, Z77 Mb, hx850w, crappy hdd.

So, onto the problem. I installed all the mods, checked load order with BOSS, cleaned the install with TES5Edit, then onto some testing. I started at Riverwood, run a few minutes through it's nearest forest (to load some textures), through Riverwood again, until just outside Whiterun where I stop, look at a distance and the game freezes.

While the game is working it's perfect, some minor hiccups, tree/texture popping and some late shadows, this is probably because of my slow hdd, but no big deal. However, after a few minutes of gameplay the game freezes just outside Whiterun (same location) at around 2650 vRam and just over 2.8 Ram usage, all this with uGridsToLoad=7.(If I load the game and go straight to the freeze location it doesn't freeze.)

Changed to uGridsToLoad=5, did same exact test, game freezes (same location) but just for like 1.5 seconds then keeps on working. Ram usage never gets passed 2.6gb now, vram 2.3 gb.(Did both tests multiple times, same results)

SO, could I be running out of vram, even tough I don't have the obvious BIG frame drops and crazy textures going on? or is this freeze related to ram?, because I read that skyrim may crash if over 3gb ram usage. HELP! as my PC is pretty new and I can still return this graphics card for a 670 4gb edition "IF" the problem is vram!

11 answers to this question

I did, however, I don't even reach 3gb Ram and I dont CTD, just freeze near Whiterun and also have a few infinite loadings. Here a Screenshot of when it crashed hope it helps.(uGridsToLoad=7)

Posted Image

Could it be the "Virtual Size" thing since its over 3gb??

uGrids is probably the cause of this issue. First, if you're going to change it (not recommended!!!) make sure your set your "uExterior Cell Buffer=36" to "uExterior Cell Buffer=64".

Changing uGrids is unstable for just about any setup with STEP. If all else fails, revert back to the defaults (5 and 32), and don't mess with them. You may have to start a new game after reverting back to the defaults for stability.

If uGrids ends up not being your issue, then the next most likely cause is the memory wall of 3GB+. Limit your texture resolutions to 2048.

Run a texture optimizer and select resize to a max of 2048x2048.

Wouldn't that significantly reduce the textures quality? I'd think it's best to leave that to texture creators who have access to uncompressed texture files.
Well that's the most obvious solution, but if they don't provide a downscaled version of their work, you'll have to live with the CTD or lose some quality. You still can switch to other modders' work who provide lower res options.

I'm currently running Textures Optimizer with the guide I've found here in theses forums. I'll let you know if it helped :)

I dont care if it's just 2048 I want ctd's to stop hehe

I was not talking about Texture Optimizer in particular. For best results use DDSopt by Ethatron.

Wouldn't that significantly reduce the textures quality? I'd think it's best to leave that to texture creators who have access to uncompressed texture files.
It kind of depends on the texture, it will of course reduce the quality. But a better question is, will you notice it while playing. There are TONs of textures that are extremely oversized and you will only notice the "extra" quality in comparison shots.

It kind of depends on the texture, it will of course reduce the quality. But a better question is, will you notice it while playing. There are TONs of textures that are extremely oversized and you will only notice the "extra" quality in comparison shots.
That's not what I meant. See torminater's post for explanation.

Before STEP I was playing with uExterior Cell Buffer=64 uGridsToLoad=7 no problems, only after STEP plus some more mods I already had before, it became a problem, but yeah, after I opened this thread I changed it to the default, uExterior Cell Buffer=36 uGridsToLoad=5 and actually played for 6 hours straight with no problems whatsoever, I even reached the same ram usage as before and it didn't freeze in Whiterun, so I guess that was my only problem, I'll came back if freezes or something else bad happens again.

Thanks for the replies and to the whole crew who put STEP together, awesome mods. :thumbsup: