Mouse Stutter

Farlo

Question

• System specs in signature
  • Catalyst v12.11.  Settings follow the AMD Control Center Guide
  • Launcher settings are as STEP prescribes (minus AA and AF)
  • STEP v2.2.2 + SkyRe, AV, and a few others
  • Baseline (mostly 1k)

I have a smooth 40+ FPS, but moving the camera around is still very choppy, almost like a wireless mouse with a bad signal.  It's not just lagginess either, there are whole 0.5-1 second intervals where I cannot move the camera at all and yet all background animations and effects look fine.  It's happening indoors and out as well.

I have "iPresetInterval", "bMouseAcceleration", AA, and AF all set to 0 and the cursor is perfectly smooth in the menus.  Google's no help either, I just keep getting threads about mouse lag with the "solution" being to turn off mouse acceleration. 

8 answers to this question

Im trying to post something useful to help you, all I can think of is system degrading over time, or the access to files on the hdd being very slow. Try do some ram sweep, defrag  and clean temp files...

cant think anything else to cause your lag or stutter.

I defragged and cleaned up the temp stuff a couple days ago, I'll try RAM sweeping. It's mostly stopped but still crops up every once in a while, usually during combat. Alt-tabbing seems to fix it most of the time, otherwise restarting the game does.

After you launch skyrim alt tab, go taskmanager and look for TESV.exe in processes tab, right click it and set priority to high.

Desktop composition disabling.  go steam and look for skyrim folder, find TESV.exe, right click and go properties, select compatibility tab and check boxes  [v]Disable visual themes   and   [v]Disable desktop composition

if its already running as admin keep it, if not, is your choice to run it as admin or not.

After you launch skyrim alt tab, go taskmanager and look for TESV.exe in processes tab, right click it and set priority to high.

Desktop composition disabling.  go steam and look for skyrim folder, find TESV.exe, right click and go properties, select compatibility tab and check boxes  [v]Disable visual themes   and   [v]Disable desktop composition

if its already running as admin keep it, if not, is your choice to run it as admin or not.

Is there any way to make the OS remember to set TESV.exe to high priority besides something like ATTK or do I have to do it every time?

I already have visual themes disabled and "run as Admin" set on TESV.exe, what exactly does Desktop Composition do?  The thing I hate about disabling visual themes is that it reverts my slideshow wallpaper to whichever image was up when it got disabled, does anyone know a way to prevent this?

Is there any way to make the OS remember to set TESV.exe to high priority besides something like ATTK or do I have to do it every time?

I already have visual themes disabled and "run as Admin" set on TESV.exe, what exactly does Desktop Composition do?  The thing I hate about disabling visual themes is that it reverts my slideshow wallpaper to whichever image was up when it got disabled, does anyone know a way to prevent this?

I have desktop composition enabled, which changes the screen interface to a more generic version while Skyrim runs (e.g., Aero is disabled and then re-enabled when Skyrim exits), but I don't enable the themes box since I don't want to lost my desktop background, etc.