CTD while loading saves

fartooloud

Question

I would love to get some help with the crash log, while trying to load saves. 

I tried 3 autosave saves, and one quicksave that take place in the same general area (2 indoors, 2 outdoors). Crash logs are weird, everytime I try to load a game different crash log appears. One time it loaded into the game but, when I tried to make new save it crashed instantly. I'll post 2 crash logs, one that is empty, and one from the game it was able to load in.

I'm, running skyrim AE, modded with step guide 2.1.0, with few mods added on top (I already tried, and disabled all additional mods, loaded the game, but the same happened) so far game was realy stable, not dropping below 35 fps around riften while using hard enb and DynDOLOD

I have only one more save that is about 15h of game time before the crashing saves happen, and it works fine. (I will definitely make more saves after this situation :doh:)

I read recent question about similiar issue, which concluded, that it was problem with SPID, and I wonder if its the same problem, but I cant decipher the crashlog by myself sadly.

crash-2022-11-30-15-16-00.log crash-2022-11-30-15-33-50.log

Edited by fartooloud

The empty crash log clearly shows the crash occurred inside SPID.

The other log shows crashing while loading a leveled NPC, which is probably corrupt - not necessarily in the save file itself, it may have been corrupted in memory during the loading of the save. Since version 6, SPID distributes stuff to leveled NPCs at game load time. While the log doesn't show SPID directly, it may have corrupted the NPC data in memory before that point in the loading process.

Re-enable all the mods you disabled, and disable SPID. Then try loading your save. This is just a test to confirm that SPID is the culprit. This is not a solution.

34 minutes ago, fartooloud said:

I tried opening the save with vanilla game (clean profile in MO). autosave 2 crashed with info: game save is corrupted and cannot be loaded, autosave 3 loaded without a problem. Sooo i guess i'll start disabling mods and narrowing down to one :thinking:

Managed to get the same message about corrupted save while I disabled all gameplay mods, trying to load a save by repeteadly loading until the box doesn't show, as it did in vanilla. Basically hoping for miracle xd

EDIT: It didn't load. Came back to the clean profile and noticed this pattern: 2 autosaves from INSIDE the house are loading in after one error box that the file is corrupt. 1 Autosave and 1 Quicksave that are outside of the house are crashing instantly even on clean game.

Edited by fartooloud

4 hours ago, fartooloud said:

Sadly disabling SPID didn't change anything. I tried with disabling SPID only and disabling SPID+ WACCF SPID patch, since it showed as error in LOOT. Both resulted in "empty" crash logs.

crash-2022-11-30-17-21-34.log 1.34 kB · 1 download

I had the same issue.  I had to revert back to a much older save.  I reverted back to SPID 6.0.2 for now.

MAJOR UPDATE: Well, after disabling and enabling all mods it so happens that CACO is causing the game to crash somehow, which makes sense, because actually I was creating potions for the first time just when the crashes started to happen. What should I do now, because i am left with only 14 errors in LOOT now, CACO is pretty essential. Also, should i rerun Nemesis after loading back all the mods, since i disabled it too? Maybe its not the problem with SPID?

EDIT: Backing up saves, and i will try to play, leave the house, save the game etc, to look for crashes without CACO.

Edited by fartooloud

Okay, I'm basically so clueless of whats happening I will just share whole story:

1. After noticing that CACO is the problem somehow (or mods that are tempering with it, or i need to rerun nemesis idk, I'm clueless) I disabled CACO and loaded save.
2. Save is running fine, so I saved a game via menu, and went back to MO. Enabled CACO again.
3. Loaded new save and it is running like a charm, with CACO enabled.
4. Tried to recreate scenario before crashes (crafted potions, dumped most of them into deep storage spell, slept for 72 hours, went out, and started to fight the challenger)
5. Everything works smoothly, autosaves are loading without problem.

I think I just overcome this problem, but it's not repaired at all. It might happen pretty soon again. IDK how SPID works, could it be that it distributed CACO items wrong, and that corrupted saves?

Even though my modded skyrim has its problems I'm just so happy that at least saves are reanimated :biggrin:

EDIT: It's worth mentioning, that games started behaving like vanilla one after I disabled all Animation & Physics mods. Then when I enabled CACO it started crashing again. I Turned on evry other mod, and enabled all Animation & Physics mods and it loaded fine. 

Edited by fartooloud

You don't need to run Nemesis unless you add/remove mods that depend on it directly, or that depend on FNIS (which Nemesis replaces). If you ran it once before with all your mods installed and enabled, you don't need to run it again every time you enable or disable a mod.

So far I noticed that weather effects dissapeared from my map (fog, clouds etc), not that it bothers me, since I can finally see everything, but it shows me that some mods might not work correctly after i've disabled and enabled them all. What should I do to check if everything is working fine again? 

• Generally speaking, you can't disable mods in the middle of a playthrough and keep playing from the same save. There are exceptions, depending on the type of mod. I don't know the details of what you've changed over time, it's kind of hard to follow your story, but I'd suspect your save is mostly effed up at this point. The game may no longer crash, but there might be features, quests and other stuff that no longer work.
  • Beware CR patches and automated patches like DynDOLOD are based on your entire load order. If you disable mods that were initially present when you generated DynDOLOD for example, this may cause some weird visual effects or worse, even if they're not 'masters' of the DynDOLOD plugin(s). You need to disable DynDOLOD, regenerate it, and re-enable it by following its update instructions exactly.
  • CACO doesn't use SPID.

All mods are enabled at this point. Nothing has changed on the save, because I was disabling mods, entering the game and not saving it afterwards, just going back to MO and disabling/enabling others depending on the situation. The only thing that changed was: Disabling CACO, going into the save and creating new one without CACO enabled (it shouldn't change much, because I literally didn't touch anything CACO related other than potions I created before crashes), enabling CACO, and playing from the save that i created before. So, load order, and list of mods didn't change at all. Is it realy ****ed after that? If it is, what is the point of the brute force method of checking the mods if you can't play on the save afterwards :| 

Yeah, I understand that the story is chaotic, but it is a combination of my bad grammar, and chaotic situation of searching for the cause itself.

31 minutes ago, Mousetick said:
  • Generally speaking, you can't disable mods in the middle of a playthrough and keep playing from the same save.

Or even update them to a newer version for that matter.  Looking forward to Step 2.2.0 to be completed so I can complete the guide and start a fresh game.