DynDOLOD Random Gray Mountain Texture issue

kcbaxton

Question

Hi, so I'm having a very weird problem with my LODs. After a few hours of gameplay, my distant mountain LODs suddenly changed to an ugly gray instead of the usual Majestic Mountain textures. What's weird is that they changed on their own. They were completely fine for the first ~10 hours of my game, and after coming back to Skyrim after a week long break I'm now having this problem.

I've used DynDOLOD for a very long time and never had any issues with it, which is why this problem is so perplexing. Nothing about my mod list was changed. DynDOLOD is still active, dynamic LODs are still there, however they are flickering a little bit now. Trees and everything else look fine. Rerunning DynDOLOD doesn't fix my current game. I had this problem a while back, so I re-ran DynDOLOD and started a new game, which fixed the problem, for a while at least. However the problem is once again persisting on its own, which means it will probably happen again eventually even if I start new game. 

I've moved the DynDOLOD output to the bottom to make sure it's not being overwritten. It could possibly be an .ini problem, I used to z-fighting fix on my Skyrimprefs.ini found on this website, however changing it back did not fix the problem.

Here's a couple screenshots of the issue: https://imgur.com/a/HN6S2Up

I've done everything I can possibly think of at this point, so some help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by kcbaxton

9 answers to this question

Neither LOD textures nor snow LOD shaders change on their own. It should be obvious that any changes happen because of changes in the load order/INIs.

It is most likely the snow shaders, which are not changed by DynDOLOD and also do not affect LOD generation.

https://stepmodifications.org/forum/topic/14577-dark-distant-mountainssnow-lods
https://stepmodifications.org/forum/topic/14930-white-mountain-bug-after-lod-generation

12 hours ago, z929669 said:

What mod manager are you using?

Sometimes seemingly random changes to mod list or load order can manifest due to the mod manager resetting or losing track of certain key files.

You should validate your current mod list, load order and game INIs (try BethINI)

Hey, thanks for the response.

I'm using MO2. Running BethINI did not help.

19 hours ago, sheson said:

Neither LOD textures nor snow LOD shaders change on their own. It should be obvious that any changes happen because of changes in the load order/INIs.

It is most likely the snow shaders, which are not changed by DynDOLOD and also do not affect LOD generation.

https://stepmodifications.org/forum/topic/14577-dark-distant-mountainssnow-lods
https://stepmodifications.org/forum/topic/14930-white-mountain-bug-after-lod-generation

Thanks for the quick response. I deleted 00050372 from HD LODs Textures.esp (it was overwriting MM) as stated in the first link you posted, and it only made the problem worse. Now All my mountains look gray like in the screenshots until I get up close. The second record (0006ae38) was not being overwritten by anything.

I'm truly at a loss here. I know it sounds dumb and it's probably something obvious I'm overlooking, but like I said nothing about my load order was changed on my break, especially not any core mods like MM or LODs. I'm considering removing BDS and rerunning DynDOLOD.  

28 minutes ago, kcbaxton said:

Still no luck. Messing with the snow shaders did not do anything. Any other ideas?

Look at sheson's first response and the solutions in the links he provided. I really think you need to clean up your mod-list conflicts. Disable everything but your mountain mod if that's what it takes. Ensure your game directory has no mods installed manually. MO2 offers very powerful asset-conflict discovery.

Also, you can enable read of assets in BSAs in settings.

31 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Look at sheson's first response and the solutions in the links he provided. I really think you need to clean up your mod-list conflicts. Disable everything but your mountain mod if that's what it takes. Ensure your game directory has no mods installed manually. MO2 offers very powerful asset-conflict discovery.

Also, you can enable read of assets in BSAs in settings.

I tried the fixes in both links he provided, no luck. I did exactly what was stated in the first, opened up xEdit and searched for 00050372 to see what was conflicting. Exactly as stated in the post, it was HD LOD Texture's snow shader overwriting Majestic Mountains. The user in the post said removing that file from the esp fixed their problem, however it only made mine worse. 

You will need to find the asset conflict causing your issue (if it isn't an INI problem)

Disable all mods but Majestic Mountains. Check using a new game. Generate DynDOLOD on this only. Check LOD using a new game. If mountains look correct, then you have a mod-list conflict issue.

... but that extreme is unnecessary if you use the powerful asset conflict tools available in MO and find what is causing the issue. With all mods enabled, double-click on Majestic Mountains and examine the Conflicts tab (tip: right click on any line for options). Explore the Data tab in right pane to discover what mod provides the asset of interest.

Also, you can enable read of assets in BSAs in settings so that you can also see asset conflicts from mod BSAs using this system.

The linked post mentions two snow LOD shaders. 00050372 SnowLODMaterial and 0006AE38 SnowLODMaterialHD

I suggest to carefully read the descriptions of the mods changing mountains textures and snow shaders. They most likely require a specific overwrite/install order or a patch. They also might require specific INI settings.