Guidance on Basics of Wizards

dem1an

Question

I'm trying to get the hang of STEP using Wrye Bash prior to the next release!  I'm using the Wiki.  There are a couple of hang-ups I'm having.  

1.  In some cases the Wiki will link a wizard, but I cannot figure out how to utilize the wizard in Wrye Bash.  Can someone either describe how to use them or provide a link/guide?  One example is Golden Gods Shrines (https://wiki.step-project.com/Golden_Gods_Shrines).  The wizard is grayed out when I right click it. 

2.  In another case, I tried to install Warmer Magic Lights (Nexus 4419)  When I ran Boss it recommended a compatibility patch (Nexus 26230).  The problem seems that they both include a "Warmer Magic Lights v2.esp".  Wouldn't the later just cancel out the prior?  What should I do here?

5 answers to this question

Wizards should be placed directly in top-level of the archive. If you used Golden God Shrine's BCF it should have placed it there for you. Confirm that it's in the right place and maybe even reboot WB.

The patch overwriting the original version is exactly what we want. The original hasn't been updated in many months and it's generally not safe to use mods not made for the version of Skyrim you're using. In fact, the link on the Wiki should point you to the compatibility patch in the first place, as that's the only file needed (the original is only one ESP as well).

Oops.  You are right. The compatibility patch is what is linked.  At least my logic was correct.  I'm not sure how I got the original link.  Maybe in the old STEP manual...Sorry about that.  

I'll try this Wizard again option again.  

Thanks much. 

I added the contents of the wizard zip to the contents of the NMM  Installer.  I rebooted and right clicked it in Wrye Bash and selected Wizard. 

I get this error.

An error occurred in the wizard script:
Line: %s
SelectSubPackage "00 - Core" Error: (Line 13, Column 29): Sub-package '00 - Core' is not a part of the installer.
I looked at another wizard installer (aMidian) and it looks like the wizard is looking for a folder called "00 - Core".  There is no folder like this.  Maybe this wizard is not compatible with it anymore?

At this point, I could have done a manual install. :D

I added the contents of the wizard zip to the contents of the NMM  Installer.  I rebooted and right clicked it in Wrye Bash and selected Wizard. 

I get this error.

An error occurred in the wizard script:
Line: %s
SelectSubPackage "00 - Core" Error: (Line 13, Column 29): Sub-package '00 - Core' is not a part of the installer.

I looked at another wizard installer (aMidian) and it looks like the wizard is looking for a folder called "00 - Core".  There is no folder like this.  Maybe this wizard is not compatible with it anymore?

At this point, I could have done a manual install. :D

Based on your first statement, it sounds like you just added the wizard.txt file to the archive. That's not enough. You need to apply the BCF first (if you don't have it, it needs to go into the "Skyrim Mods\Bash Installers\Bain Converters" folder). Right click on the mod, select Conversions->Apply->Golden Gods Shrines_v1.1_6538-BCF. That will restructure the archive to the format it needs to be in, and add the wizard. Then you can run the wizard.

Maybe an update to the Wrye Bash guide that you guys made with a section that explains how to use BCFs. I see that the guide explains how to create them, so explaining the whole process would be maybe a paragraph or two added to the guide.

One other thing is that you can just drag and drop the BCF archive right into the Wrye Bash Installers tab and it will automatically detect the BCF at the end of the file name and put it in the Bain Converters folder.