Freezing

Darkenneko

Question

Hello community of STEP!

I've tried other places, I've countless times uninstalled/reinstalled and tried again and again. I Need some help if I could please.

I thought my issues would be fixed when I found STEP, I've installed it all and it works and runs beautifully.  But I'm having the same issue as I had previously, just it appears later.

Freezing, after a certain amount of time playing the game freezes, no error, no nothing, everything just freezes. Gotta CTRL + ALT + DEL, outta the game and close it.

I'm not quite sure what's causing the issue, I have the baseline + some extras installed for STEP, and my hardware is as followed.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.21Ghz Quad Core processor.

Eight gigs of ram.

Windows Seven x64

MSI AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5

Any help would be very appreciative.

Thank you!

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

My game has frozen several times too. I've had to do the same thing and when that didn't work I've had to hard restart the system. I've defragged and completely cleaned up my system. Same issue. Just happens at random places but has only happen on the loading screens for me.

Yeah,

I've recently (Before STEP install), did a CheckDisk and Defrag. Mines random as well, but usually when I've been playing for awhile, and always outside in the world space.

This sort of thing is tough - so many possibilities. Only a couple of things I can suggest.

First, I find that Skyrim is far more stable when run from an SSD. On my old rig, I went so far as to mirror my whole system partition (with skyrim installed), onto my SSD and onto a regular hard disk. When running from hard disk Skyrim + STEP would usually crash within minutes when traveling outside. On SSD it was solid. I tried it on two separate hard disks to eliminate disk faults - same result. So - SSD recommended in my experience.

Second it seems that the RCRN team are recommending that on rigs with >8GB ram, you should set iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=4000000000 in your Skyrim.ini file, under the [Papyrus] section. I've read conflicting reports about this tweak, which is supposed to make full use of the 4GB the Skyrim executable can access, but they are very keen on it, and it's worth a try.

EDIT: Oh, I forget to mention a major point. When you reinstall, are you restarting with a new game, or using existing saves? Corrupted saves are a very common cause of trouble.

Mine is also a brand new save game.

Also, I've been looking into investing into an SSD, though I won't be copying my 1TB existing OS and partition onto it, I'll probably do something similar, soon as I find a good one on sale.

I have mine set to iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=1800000000, I was also reading mixed reviews, this is what I found on it.

"iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes" is the maximum bytes allocated to Skyrim in relation to RAM, with a maximum of 4294967295 bytes (4GB) as it is a 32bit application. I wouldn't set too much more than half of your available RAM to this. Some examples are below;

3GB; iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=1800000000

4GB; iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=2400000000

6GB; iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=3600000000

Lets say you wanted to allocate 2.5GB, you would calculate it like so:

2.5 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024 = 2684354560 bytes (iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=2684354560). "

CnPed from Monkeyboy24 from the Nexus forums, he has a lot of tweaks on their and most of mine come from him and seem to work perfectly well.

I'm not quite sure, but I'll try upping my Maximum allowed, completely forgot I only set it to the 3B Max, hopefully this helps, if any other helpful suggestions I'd be glad to listen to them, thank you!

So, he's saying that if you have a total system ram of 3gb, then set it to about half that - 1.8gb, or 1800000000 bytes. This is roughly consistent with the RCRN recommendation - if you have 8gb, set it to 4gb.

I have 8gb, and without specifying that setting Skyrim tends to use around 2.6gb. It may be that by setting it to 1800000000 bytes you have artificially constrained Skyrim from using what it needs, which certainly seems like a plausible cause of a crash. It would be a bit of luck, because it's so easy to fix!

So, he's saying that if you have a total system ram of 3gb, then set it to about half that - 1.8gb, or 1800000000 bytes. This is roughly consistent with the RCRN recommendation - if you have 8gb, set it to 4gb.

I have 8gb, and without specifying that setting Skyrim tends to use around 2.6gb. It may be that by setting it to 1800000000 bytes you have artificially constrained Skyrim from using what it needs, which certainly seems like a plausible cause of a crash. It would be a bit of luck, because it's so easy to fix!

I realized that AFTER I pasted it, I took your suggestion and bumped it up to 4000000000 and gave it a test run, no go.

20 Minutes, computer was at 5.29 Gigs used and it froze, I turned off Skyrim and let my computer settle and my computer idles at 2.84 Gigs, (Don't ask, I mean unless it's relevant.), That's approximately Skyrim using 2.45 Gigs at the time it froze.

So I suppose that's out of the question now, but that doesn't make me happy.

I realized that AFTER I pasted it, I took your suggestion and bumped it up to 4000000000 and gave it a test run, no go.

20 Minutes, computer was at 5.29 Gigs used and it froze, I turned off Skyrim and let my computer settle and my computer idles at 2.84 Gigs, (Don't ask, I mean unless it's relevant.), That's approximately Skyrim using 2.45 Gigs at the time it froze.

Your idle is nearly double mine... maybe you should consider shutting some things down whenever you're on the game and see how it goes. You could also try out ATTK.

I have the same freeze problem.

I only have half the s.t.e.p. mods and a few of my own, but with a clean fresh save I get freezes and I have to use CTRL+ALT+DEL

And I do use my SSD for Skyrim, so thats out of the question too.

I know better use clean saves etc, but if I load an old save it doesnt freeze somehow, I have no clue why (maybe old scripts that dont freeze the game?)

My rig is:

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4,3GHz (watercooled)

16GB ram

Windows 8 x64

Club 3D HD6970 2GB (watercooled) not overclocked

So its not a temp problem in my case and I use to run Skyrim without a problem.

I am trying to figure it out for a few days now and its kinda driving me nuts lol, cant find why it happens.

Like others say, Skyrim is around 2,5gb ram usage when it happens.

Ow and I dont even get out of helgen keep yet lol, so it happens inside, not even in the world.

And yes its at random moments, never at the same place.

Greetz Tony

Your idle is nearly double mine... maybe you should consider shutting some things down whenever you're on the game and see how it goes. You could also try out ATTK.

That's not the issue, I promise, and everything is really off besides my Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware, most of the 2Gigs of memory is being used by SCVHOST though, according to the memory usage.

So nothing I can really do about that.

Also, I Just finished trying out ATTK, no go, I played for 30 minutes and started to get excited right then it froze on me.

So I'm really doubting it's a memory issue, I'm almost feeling as if It's hardware now.

Edit

In the same breath, I DID let it sit for more than two hours, (I left to go eat), in Riverwood and I came back and played fine. Frustrating, to say the least.

@Darkenneko

Hell I feel the same, frustrated >.<

And I am pretty sure its not the hardware, since vanilla runs fine without any tweaks and or mods and so do other games.

Spose you're right, Vanilla does, So I don't know if we're just pushing our computers too hard or what, anywho, I hope someone can help us, getting rather desperate.

And I do use my SSD for Skyrim, so thats out of the question too.

Hi toshaka.  Clearly you are right in your case, but I don't think we can assume we are hunting for one general problem here; there are many things that could cause freezes, and what's causing yours may not apply to Darkenneko.

That said, I'm afraid hardware can't be ruled out.  Adding STEP to Skyrim pushes the system harder - a bit like running a stress test to see if an overclock is stable.  What I can say, is that I'm running STEP with the highest possible textures and a tough ENB, and I've never seen a freeze.  I don't have a killer PC, so there must be some factor besides STEP itself.

@MontyMM

Yeah I know, I was only saying that for my account, the hardware part that is ;)

I just played Skyrim for a while no problems, until I used showracemenu, cos I wasnt really happy with the skintone and that freezed :(

Before the menu even showed.

I dont know what it is, I ran lots of mods before even s.t.e.p.

Never had freezes before until this week when I redid the whole skyrim mods and vanilla etc.

Following Neovalen's guide, but not using everything, I think maybe 60% of those?

I do use SRO now instead of the normal s.t.e.p. (wich I did before 2 weeks ago), can that be a problem?

SRO is very unlikely the problem - it's nothing but textures, and I use it too. I don't use Neovalens setup, and since it uses mods outside of base STEP, our experiences don't compare. It's still unfinished and in testing, so it is conceivable that there's issues.