Freezing

Darkenneko

Question

Hello community of STEP!

I've tried other places, I've countless times uninstalled/reinstalled and tried again and again. I Need some help if I could please.

I thought my issues would be fixed when I found STEP, I've installed it all and it works and runs beautifully.  But I'm having the same issue as I had previously, just it appears later.

Freezing, after a certain amount of time playing the game freezes, no error, no nothing, everything just freezes. Gotta CTRL + ALT + DEL, outta the game and close it.

I'm not quite sure what's causing the issue, I have the baseline + some extras installed for STEP, and my hardware is as followed.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.21Ghz Quad Core processor.

Eight gigs of ram.

Windows Seven x64

MSI AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5

Any help would be very appreciative.

Thank you!

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Yeah I doubted that too.

I used his, cos of the SRO setup and how he chooses the textures of the rest that overwrites if you use SRO.

I didnt use any other part of his setup that isnt in S.T.E.P.

Besides the UNP body part, but I used that before already in the normal S.T.E.P.

So basicly what I am saying is, I only used his guide to install SRO and the rest I used S.T.E.P.

Plus to see what needed cleaning and what not.

Ow I use RLO too, but I doubt that its causes it tho, but not sure about that. (since I didnt go in parts yet what is edited)

Any way I can make skyrim make logs to see what makes it freeze up?

Well, I think that I might have had an endless loading screen once or twice but I have been doing an extensive amount of ini tweaking, so I have already encountered all kinds of problems :D

But some people have reported, that using my z-fighting ini tweaks (those concerning skyrimprefs.ini) got an increase of endless loading issues. Although me personally... I rather don't have z-fighting than not a couple of endless loadings per playthrough :D

Same here tho ;)

But its not the loading screens thats the problem, but a freeze, anywhere at any given moment in the game, so even during fights

Hell even while just sitting on a chair for a while.

Sometimes I have 3hrs of play or sometimes it within minutes.

I wish it was just CTD's, cos those I can handle.

A freeze needs logoff or a restart.

Funny thing is I kept process explorer running for a while and also gpu-z.

Most of the time the gpu and cpu are only use 45-55% each O.o

Yes - add to your Skyrim.ini:

[Papyrus]

bEnableLogging=1

bEnableTrace=1

bLoadDebugInformation=1

It should then generate a Log folder in the same directory as the inis.

I encourage everyone that is having this problem to enable Papyrus Logging. This why we can start making some sense of the issue. Thanks! I've enabled it myself, but haven't had a freeze since.

I had apachiisky hair, removed it.

Heard alot of problems with it during creation and showracemenu (solves some of my problems but still not all)

In progress of removing more and look what causes it, still can be combinations of mods tho.

Heard alot of problems with it during creation and showracemenu (solves some of my problems but still not all)

In progress of removing more and look what causes it, still can be combinations of mods tho.

I had issues with ApachiiSkyHair before. Mine was with all the add on packs. Just using main file is working fine for me now.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

I happen to be using ApachiiSky hair as well, though I had heard of any issues...haven't really looking into it though either. Even though the hairs are ported from The Sims 2, I still love them. The thick, blocky vanilla hairstyles just don't do it for me. I'll look into it.

Strange thing is, I dont know what it was I changed but freezes seem to be gone, just now I get a CTD when entering Dragonreach.

But when load an older save inside its ok, when re-enter its CTD, ok that confuses me O.o

And now the log is almost error free

Its on SSD lol, you dont defrag SSD (atleast SSD makers and windows and other techs say that)

Gonna try to revert back to ugrids 5, see if that helps

Tho my machine should easily be able to handle it.

Ugh gonna try and see if a freshly started game also CTD's Dragonreach

Edit: I think I will do that tomorrow and let it rest for today since it is 00:18am local time here now

Edit2: Did some becnhmarking, somehow GPU-z only sees dynamic memory usages? 

Dedicated seems to stay at 0, while process explorer does see the dedicated use and the system memory part.

Anyone any ideas about that?