How to use BCF?

TechAngel85

Question

Okay...so there's really no instruction on how to use these. I've tried two and both failed... I know to put them in the Bain Converters folder and the mod file has to be in the Bash Installers folder. Then in WB you right-click and choose Conversions. So...what I'm I not doing? Do the mod files have to have a specific name because I didn't rename them from the Nexus folder name?

11 answers to this question

It depends on the file itself, not the name.  WB is a bit more clever in its authentication so it runs a checksum on all the files and bases it off of that.  The archive with the BCF in it should go in the Converters folder as you said and should end in either "-BCF.7z" or "-BCF-Wizard.7z".  Which BCF are you trying to use? 

Categorized Favorites Menu and Soul Gems Differ. Would it matter if I've extracted the archive then re-archived it? Since it's using a check sum I assume that would mess it up.

EDIT: That's what it is I think. I extract all of my mods for organization and then re-archive them later. I used the original file for Soul Gems and it worked until the very end and threw an error, but still created the file.

Categorized Favorites Menu and Soul Gems Differ. Would it matter if I've extracted the archive then re-archived it? Since it's using a check sum I assume that would mess it up.

EDIT: That's what it is I think. I extract all of my mods for organization and then re-archive them later. I used the original file for Soul Gems and it worked until the very end and threw an error, but still created the file.

The entire point of the BCFs is that they work with the archive as it's downloaded off the Nexus without having to mess with it, so if you've been moving things around then it will definitely not work.  I'm not sure how you thought it would work if you're in there moving bits around beforehand, pretty much any installer relies on being told the expected format and what to do with them.

The entire point of the BCFs is that they work with the archive as it's downloaded off the Nexus without having to mess with it, so if you've been moving things around then it will definitely not work.  I'm not sure how you thought it would work if you're in there moving bits around beforehand, pretty much any installer relies on being told the expected format and what to do with them.
I wasn't moving anything around. I'm not that dumb. :P ...though some may disagree. I was just extracting them for use in my folders and to read the ReadMe files. But if BCFs use a checksum as you say, then extracting and re-archiving will change that checksum value and thus cause it to not work. Which I believe is the case here. No biggy! I'll just use the original, unarchived files for those with BCFs.

I was just extracting them for use in my folders and to read the ReadMe files. But if BCFs use a checksum as you say, then extracting and re-archiving will change that checksum value and thus cause it to not work. Which I believe is the case here. No biggy! I'll just use the original, unarchived files for those with BCFs.

What I've been doing is to run Wrye Bash first using the BCF to convert it before I do anything more with the mod. I often optimize the textures using DDSopt (whenever it makes enough difference that it is worthwhile) which also changes the checksums, so I use the BCF converted version of the mod to do this and then rearchive the mod using 7z before installing the mod in Wrye Bash.

I was just extracting them for use in my folders and to read the ReadMe files. But if BCFs use a checksum as you say, then extracting and re-archiving will change that checksum value and thus cause it to not work. Which I believe is the case here. No biggy! I'll just use the original, unarchived files for those with BCFs.

What I've been doing is to run Wrye Bash first using the BCF to convert it before I do anything more with the mod. I often optimize the textures using DDSopt (whenever it makes enough difference that it is worthwhile) which also changes the checksums, so I use the BCF converted version of the mod to do this and then rearchive the mod using 7z before installing the mod in Wrye Bash.
Yep, that's what I'm getting ready to do. More authors just need to include a wizard and all this would be solved. lol!

Yep, that's what I'm getting ready to do. More authors just need to include a wizard and all this would be solved. lol!
Wizard and/or better BAIN structures! I agree.

I've gotten this message when using the BCFs. Anything to be concerned about?

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "bash\basher.py", line 11329, in Execute

if not self.converter.hasBCF:

AttributeError: 'InstallerConverter' object has no attribute 'hasBCF'

The files were created.

I've gotten this message when using the BCFs. Anything to be concerned about?

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "bash\basher.py", line 11329, in Execute

if not self.converter.hasBCF:

AttributeError: 'InstallerConverter' object has no attribute 'hasBCF'

The files were created.

You can safely ignore it.