Installing SKSE via Mod Organizer

Satyre

Question

I'm having a wee problem installing SKSE via mod organizer. When clicking on the SKSE archive, mod organizer requests a data directory. Yet selecting the data directory only installs the files in the data directory structure, leaving out the SKSE .exe and other files in the main Skyrim directory. Therefore no .exe is installed to the chosen profile. How do I work around this?PS: Thanks and props to Neovalen for lots of awesome information in this regard. I've learned a lot about mod organizer looking at your guide (I know it's a WIP, but it's and excellent wip, full of useful information)

4 answers to this question

Installation instructions for SKSE in combination with MO are in the S.T.E.P. guide. You can find it  here. An alternative for seasoned MO users is instead of repackaging the archive is to create a directory in the /mods directory and put the mentioned files there. After a refresh in the left pane MO will recognize the new 'mod'.

Updated this (old) thread as part of a process of checking all MO threads to see if threads can can be tagged as 'answered'.

I've wondered this too. I have always done a manual install of SKSE and then I saw Neo's Skyrim Revisited which installed it through MO. However, I could not figure out how to get the executable and .dll's to work without placing them in the Skyrim directory manually.

Mod managers will only install files in the Data directory. It's a matter of safety to ensure someone doesn't throw in a .DLL or attempt to overwrite your game files.

Any utility that requires files in the root Skyrim folder is going to be a manual install. This thread has some information (including a simple bat script I wrote) to allow creating/removing a symbolic link in the Data directory that points back to the root Skyrim folder. I use this whenever I want to create an archive that allows me to install files in the root folder with Wrye Bash. However, since MO virtualizes the files/directories, I have no idea if it would work in that case.

You can do a one half auto/one half manual installation. I do this with RCRN. I package RCRN to be installed by Wrye Bash. Wrye Bash installs everything that RCRN needs in the Data folder to the Data folder. Then I'm left to manually install anything that has to be in the root Skyrim folder (one folder and a few files). This makes it incredibly easy for me to uninstall RCRN if need be. The same could be done with SKSE.