Skyrim Revisited Pre-Release Feedback

Daagar, I had a similar issue. I had installed a mod, can't remember which one, and I went into it using the information section of MO to delete the files to be removed. I Ctrl-clicked a bunch of them and hit delete. MO crashed and deleted the whole folder. I try to remove them from installation or remove them through windows explorer when possible. I also like to make blank folders in the mod section to use as bookmarks/spacers for the different sections. It worked fine in previous iterations. In the latest MO it destroys my mod order for some reason. all my mods got thrown in all random places. I think it's because it found a folder that doesn't have a meta.ini. Never trying that again.

I came back to mention that when you create a patch in MO from TES5Edit, it will still show up in the overwrite folder, even if you have create backup not checkmarked. It will still put the modded .esp in the folder where it came from, but you have to move the new patch to the right folder.

Daagar, I had a similar issue. I had installed a mod, can't remember which one, and I went into it using the information section of MO to delete the files to be removed. I Ctrl-clicked a bunch of them and hit delete. MO crashed and deleted the whole folder. I try to remove them from installation or remove them through windows explorer when possible. I also like to make blank folders in the mod section to use as bookmarks/spacers for the different sections. It worked fine in previous iterations. In the latest MO it destroys my mod order for some reason. all my mods got thrown in all random places. I think it's because it found a folder that doesn't have a meta.ini. Never trying that again.

I came back to mention that when you create a patch in MO from TES5Edit, it will still show up in the overwrite folder, even if you have create backup not checkmarked. It will still put the modded .esp in the folder where it came from, but you have to move the new patch to the right folder.

I think I have reflected this in the guide. If I still have anything left over let me know but I think I covered them all.

@Neovalen

This has to be one of the best modding guides I've seen! You did an excellent job and I appreciate all the detail so much! :)

I had previously been a heavy Wrye Bash user and and still like that tool, but through your guide I have really come to appreciate Mod Organizer and like what it has to offer much better. I also appreciate the step-by-step approach to everything, especially all the TES5Edit stuff, because I don't understand what a lot of those things in there mean, but I trust that the edits will prevent all potential issues in game.

I've managed to go through and setup per everything in you have listed and have even been keeping up to date with all your changes. I haven't actually played the game yet, but have been trying things out and it's all looking good so far.

The only "issue" I ran into so far, but happened only once: I was trying out some different armors on my character (a Level 1 character loaded from a vanilla game that was saved with only Skyrim.esm and Update.esm in the load order). Everything was fine with the armors, then I think it was the Tales of Lycanthropy Werewolf mod options popped up randomly. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to just appear (it happened after a few minutes of messing with armors), but since it came up I played with the options to check it out. After closing that menu, the armor was completely black. I tried other armors and some were fine, while others were all black. It was very odd and I haven't been able to reproduce yet. Any idea what could cause that?

Thanks again for all your efforts on this most excellent guide! 

Don't give up hope :) In your MO priority list, disable everything, load the game and test. If that works, start re-enabling a chunk of mods at a time (in priority order) and re-test. That will let you narrow down the culprit.

If you want to short-cut your debugging efforts, disable Fores, Apachii, and Automatic Variants as a first test. Fores and AV are sensitive to running the 3rd party process correctly, and Apachii can simply be a memory hog.

For my own sob story, Recuva was able to find 99% of the mod dir that got wiped out, including pretty much all the edited .esp files. Huzzah! It only failed to bring back 377 out of 38000 files (representing just a handful of mods), and for those I can simply reinstall the impacted mod.

I played for 2 hours last night with no crashes or bugs and a 100% stable 60fps. Tested script latency also and looks good. Hope you find where you went arwry... let us know. Don't be discouraged even I messed up a few times and had to find issues that I had to redo.

On another note, I am seriously considering SkyRe... opinions?

No real objections to SkyRe. That is a really well developed mod, through you might want to consider the fact that it changes a lot of the game. I know that ABT should be removed if you are going to use SkyRe, and Ars Metalica/DSpSoB need patches to make it compatible.

Anyway, there's one more mod that you might want to look at: Ethereal Elven Overhaul by nuska. It really overhauls the elves to well, look more like elves and less like goblins. It works with custom body replacers (through you might want to check for seam issues). There is a pre-exisiting patch for SkyRe compatibility, through I have noticed some compatibility issues with Bring Out Your Dead and DSpSoB. Then again, that's no problem for a TES5Edit expert like you, so I'd recommend it.

I have no opinions of SkyRe myself, but I'll suggest taking a look at SkyRe, Requiem, and SPERG if you're looking to add an 'overhaul' style mod.

Based on hear-say alone, Requiem is the 'hardcore' version, SkyRe is a fairly massive overhaul, and SPERG focuses on making a much nicer perk system without going quite to the extremes of the other two. I've been leaning towards SPERG myself because of the approach it takes to the perk system: It makes a lot of 'mundane' things happen automatically as you level (damage modifiers, etc.), and changes the perks into actual "goodies" to strive toward. I believe the author at one point mentioned you could probably complete the game without a single perk, but you'd of course be missing out on all the fun bits.

Interaction with Frostfall and Realistic Needs might drive your decision too (both of which I passed on because I'm not quite that hardcore...)

thalastswon: that is a problem with Alternate Start - Live Another Life, you either flubbed something or you just need to update it to the latest version (Neovalen has already.)

Neovalen: There is also a "patch order" problem with Alternate Start and SkyTEST.

Very definite thumbs up for SkyRe from me.

EDIT: Also just wanted to say thanks to Neovalen for this great guide. I used to do something like this myself but "life changes" have meant I don't have the time any more - it took me the best part of 3 days to work my way through this iteration of the guide a bit at a time! (And now I'm kicking myself for not taking note of the errors.) This guide makes it possible for me to have the sort of modded up Skyrim I want even though I don't have the time to keep up with the modding scene myself any more. So thanks an awful lot for that! :)

While I do like many of the changes made by SkyRe, it changes too much for me to have much interest in actually using it. In particular, the changes SkyRe makes to the stealth skills are definite deal-breakers for me, but I play almost exclusively stealth-oriented characters so these changes might carry much less weight to someone not as concerned with this aspect of the game.

I have no opinions of SkyRe myself, but I'll suggest taking a look at SkyRe, Requiem, and SPERG if you're looking to add an 'overhaul' style mod.

Based on hear-say alone, Requiem is the 'hardcore' version, SkyRe is a fairly massive overhaul, and SPERG focuses on making a much nicer perk system without going quite to the extremes of the other two. I've been leaning towards SPERG myself because of the approach it takes to the perk system: It makes a lot of 'mundane' things happen automatically as you level (damage modifiers, etc.), and changes the perks into actual "goodies" to strive toward. I believe the author at one point mentioned you could probably complete the game without a single perk, but you'd of course be missing out on all the fun bits.

Interaction with Frostfall and Realistic Needs might drive your decision too (both of which I passed on because I'm not quite that hardcore...)

I don't find RND or Frost fall overly hardcore at all on default settings. More of a that makes sense type of thing. I've been watching Gopher in his let's play series and drawing a lot of inspiration from that.

thalastswon: that is a problem with Alternate Start - Live Another Life, you either flubbed something or you just need to update it to the latest version (Neovalen has already.)

Neovalen: There is also a "patch order" problem with Alternate Start and SkyTEST.

Very definite thumbs up for SkyRe from me.

EDIT: Also just wanted to say thanks to Neovalen for this great guide. I used to do something like this myself but "life changes" have meant I don't have the time any more - it took me the best part of 3 days to work my way through this iteration of the guide a bit at a time! (And now I'm kicking myself for not taking note of the errors.) This guide makes it possible for me to have the sort of modded up Skyrim I want even though I don't have the time to keep up with the modding scene myself any more. So thanks an awful lot for that! :)

Means a lot. :) I'll take a look at the patch order tonight again.

While I do like many of the changes made by SkyRe, it changes too much for me to have much interest in actually using it. In particular, the changes SkyRe makes to the stealth skills are definite deal-breakers for me, but I play almost exclusively stealth-oriented characters so these changes might carry much less weight to someone not as concerned with this aspect of the game.

Stealth is quite busted in Vanilla IMO... what changes in particular turn you off?

While I do like many of the changes made by SkyRe' date=' it changes too much for me to have much interest in actually using it. In particular, the changes SkyRe makes to the stealth skills are definite deal-breakers for me, but I play almost exclusively stealth-oriented characters so these changes might carry much less weight to someone not as concerned with this aspect of the game.[/quote']

I play almost exclusively stealth-based characters (typically archers.) I think the changes SkyRe makes to stealth are great! Vanilla stealth is godmode at high skill levels, I find the SkyRe take on stealth far more interesting.