Moved Windows install, got motherboard/processor upgrades ... and Skyrim performance has tanked.

Noobsayer

Question

Here's the rundown of my problem. Copying and pasting from reddit.

• Win 10 moved to my SSD
  • Mod Organizer is still on my regular drive, but pointed to new Skyrim installation also on SSD
  • Using essentially same load order where I got great performance -- same ENB, swapped out a house mod and added Become a Bard.
  • I got significant UPgrades to my motherboard and processor
  • Skyrim runs like a hitchy awful slideshow (I have watched FPS dip into single digits while standing still now, while before I stayed in the high 50s FPS-wise), and turning on papyrus logging showed I had a problem

My papyrus log is here. Stack dumps are so bad that it's too big for free pastebin. Thing is, the mods that are giving me stack dumps are mods I have used very longterm and that never did this before.

I made sure to reinstall SKSE. I made sure to reinstall the SKSE preloader because of Crash Fixes. Again, this is literally the same mod install/profile as before, I didn't have my old drive wiped or anything so just pointed MO to the new location. I'm really frustrated and out of ideas.

This is what I got just standing still in the Alternate Start cell and shifting the camera occasionally. It went over 200 at some points, but here's a screenie of 150 fps and another at 11. ELEVEN.

I want to be really clear, there is nothing checked -- no textures, meshes, etc. -- besides those two mods. There is nothing in my overwrite folder. I have updated my drivers.

My specs:

• Win 10
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
  • Intel Core i7-490K CPU
  • 16 GB RAM

But here's the kicker. I get this problem, with these specs, on COMPLETELY VANILLA SKYRIM

OK. I moved my Skyrim installation back to the same drive as MO. Same results.

Then I did a fresh, separate MO installation, enabled only the official DLCs in the proper order (not even the HD DLC) and no ENB. COC'd to Whiterun. While I ended up above 60 fps some, I also ended up as low as 14 FPS.

Then I just ran Skyrim through its own launcher, taking MO entirely out of the equation, but got similar results. Sometimes above 60, but all over the place. Have a 13 FPS.

As a bonus, I turned off Windows Defender but it made no difference, either.

I am really, really out of ideas. I'll try anything at this point.

6 answers to this question

The last time I saw issues like that with FPS was due to the steam beta, but I doubt it's that now, have you checked your ini files inside of MO, I'm sure I read somewhere that Hyperthreading wasn't supported in Skyrim so I wonder if that could be an issue (never know these days)

When you swapped the MB & CPU did you perform a clean install of Win 10?

I took it into a repair place to have stuff swapped out (my processor had completely died). When they gave it back to me they'd installed windows on my SSD, as I'd asked, but it was Win 7. I re-upgraded to Win 10. 

The last time I saw issues like that with FPS was due to the steam beta, but I doubt it's that now, have you checked your ini files inside of MO, I'm sure I read somewhere that Hyperthreading wasn't supported in Skyrim so I wonder if that could be an issue (never know these days)

It happens even when running completely vanilla Skyrim through the vanilla launcher directly.