No Man's Sky

As this comes out tomorrow I think, is there anyone here excited for this? I'm quite interested in this myself as it looks like it is one of those rare games where you could just lose yourself in the moment. Of course, some people are going to be wary of a game where everything is randomly generated - for the most part - and that is fine.  If (for example) you start on a hazardous planet and have to keep managing resources and life support, you are probably going to have harder time than someone who starts on a lush green planet with plentiful resources. This may divide peoples opinions and it is something to certainly think about - because of how differing experiences may be.

Edit: PC is Friday apparently.

Link: https://www.no-mans-sky.com/about/

Edited by Guest

i'm following this since more than one year.

but all recent videos i saw recently make me thing that the game will miss one of its targets. i thought first that interaction between biotope and the gamer would exist but it seems that these interactions will perhaps exist later. This is not yet a negative point IF it comes one day not too far from the launch.

its not a FPS game nor a space sim. More an exploration game

but on this side (exploration) i was expecting(based on what was announced 4 years ago) really more than what seems to exist now.

We will see in a few days (the 12th) if a small studio can produce a good result in tjis category game.

i'm following this since more than one year.

but all recent videos i saw recently make me thing that the game will miss one of its targets. i thought first that interaction between biotope and the gamer would exist but it seems that these interactions will perhaps exist later. This is not yet a negative point IF it comes one day not too far from the launch.

its not a FPS game nor a space sim. More an exploration game

but on this side (exploration) i was expecting(based on what was announced 4 years ago) really more than what seems to exist now.

We will see in a few days (the 12th) if a small studio can produce a good result in tjis category game.

The game is getting a day one patch that will improve it quite a bit. This is apparently why a lot of news sites are waiting on that before they review it. I hope it will be good too, but I'll probably not have time for it for at least a few weeks

Not even heard of it. In fact, I got into the Beta for The Elder Scrolls: Legends (card game) and I haven't even had time to install it. ::(:

Never heard of it. XD Heard that a Gwent one is coming out though, but they are not my kind of thing really. Honestly thought this would be your sort of thing, if Neo isn't looking forward to it either, I will have to start questioning reality. Heh. Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

I have preordered this while being drunk some time ago :D

After about 30 hours in I can say it's a good, casual, "I have a spare hour now" type of game. Combination of minecraft and space exploration. Nothing serious, just arcade type of game. The main gameplay is about exploring various planets and POI's on them, mining for resources and then managing those resources to upgrade your equipment. Apart from that you can also trade and fight. The former is a good way to get missing resources for your upgrades, and mining rare resources and then selling them is a good way to earn money. 

There is also alien languages learnig and that helps you communicate with other races. 

There is some storyline that involves getting to the centre of the galaxy and another one that involves finding a mysterious Atlas (whatever that might be). Or you can go wild and just freely explore the universe.

Flight model is VERY basic and it's a lettdown for me, I hoped for something more sim-like. You can't even crash the ship against a planet :P

I thought I won't like the the graphical style, but it's actually very fitting with the gameplay style. I like it! I disagree with the "samey planets" criticism - to me the planets are quite different to each other. The flora is a bit samey indeed, but the actual planets are not. I came across jungles, deserts, forests, caves, oceans, archipelagos, mountains, all sorts of varied terrain and features. Fauna can get a bit werid sometimes, but mostly it's OK. 

Audio is OK, music is good and enhances the immersion. 

I didn't really have any expectation for the game so maybe that's why I actually like it and I'm not disappointed. The only criticism I'd have is that the price is way too high for what you get.

Final verdict, based on what I've seen so far: I would definitely recommend the game to players that like crafting and exploration in a sandbox environment, but I woulnd't recommend playing the hell out of it, as it can get samey. I'd rather play in short bursts and don't take the game too seriously. 

::EDIT::

Oh, I forgot to add - the game also supports modding and works offline - the only online bit you need it when uploading your discoveries to the main database for others to see.

And for the end - some nice photos from me :)

28978739641_145237590c_o.png

28768607250_6e435fbfd2_o.png

28978738231_c7989dbca1_o.png

28768605610_c4e633d4c9_o.png

28434127014_45e4158219_o.png

29055104095_7d5c0b9ed3_o.png

And here's a creature that reminds me a lot about my dog that was put to sleep last year due to a liver cancer. In a tribute to my dog I called this creature Guernica :) 

28978866381_757f328cb3_o.png
  • +1 1

I have preordered this while being drunk some time ago :D

After about 30 hours in I can say it's a good, casual, "I have a spare hour now" type of game. Combination of minecraft and space exploration. Nothing serious, just arcade type of game. The main gameplay is about exploring various planets and POI's on them, mining for resources and then managing those resources to upgrade your equipment. Apart from that you can also trade and fight. The former is a good way to get missing resources for your upgrades, and mining rare resources and then selling them is a good way to earn money. 

There is also alien languages learnig and that helps you communicate with other races. 

There is some storyline that involves getting to the centre of the galaxy and another one that involves finding a mysterious Atlas (whatever that might be). Or you can go wild and just freely explore the universe.

Flight model is VERY basic and it's a lettdown for me, I hoped for something more sim-like. You can't even crash the ship against a planet :P

I thought I won't like the the graphical style, but it's actually very fitting with the gameplay style. I like it! I disagree with the "samey planets" criticism - to me the planets are quite different to each other. The flora is a bit samey indeed, but the actual planets are not. I came across jungles, deserts, forests, caves, oceans, archipelagos, mountains, all sorts of varied terrain and features. Fauna can get a bit werid sometimes, but mostly it's OK. 

Audio is OK, music is good and enhances the immersion. 

I didn't really have any expectation for the game so maybe that's why I actually like it and I'm not disappointed. The only criticism I'd have is that the price is way too high for what you get.

Final verdict, based on what I've seen so far: I would definitely recommend the game to players that like crafting and exploration in a sandbox environment, but I woulnd't recommend playing the hell out of it, as it can get samey. I'd rather play in short bursts and don't take the game too seriously. 

I would like to add a bit of a contrarian's point of view as I see the game in a more negative light. Like the previous poster, I too didn't have any expectations of No Man's Sky as I didn't know the game was even coming out until I saw a friend playing it on the PS4. From the limited time I spent watching him, the game looked quite fun. In fact, once I got home I went out and preordered it to make sure I could play it as soon as it launched. And you know what? It was a lot of fun too. 

But that feeling faded quickly. The problem with No Man's Sky is that, like the previous poster said, this is a game that you should only play in short bursts. That's because you'll run out of unique things to do soon after getting a hold of the games mechanics and moderate upgrades, so all that you are left with is the core aspects of the game that aren't that much fun. Sure there is a vast and procedurally generated universe which offers all sorts of different organisms and biomes. And if you're a botanist/zoologist at heart and are excited at the idea of cataloging all the different sorts of plants and animals you'll find, then this game won't disappoint. For the rest of us, you'll soon discover that this game is akin to an ocean that's only an inch deep. To better understand why I say the game isn't fun, allow me to discuss the core features as I see them in the game and those are fighting, crafting, and surviving (excluding exploration as already mentioned that above).

Let's start off with the fighting aspect of No Man's Sky. When you first start out you'll find that the enemies you face (the Sentinels, creatures on the ground and the pirates in space) can be quite intimidating. But after only a few marginal upgrades you realize how laughable incompetent they are. To give you an example of this, probably the most dangerous situation you can find is being on a high-security planet (that's one where the Sentinels will attack you on sight) that also has a rare resource where once you pick it up, you immediately have a 3 star rating and get an elite sentinel dog that packs far more punch that it's drone counterparts. At first, it was quite exhilarating to be dodging back and forth to avoid laser beams as I scurried around collecting these gravi-balls that sold for quite a bit. But once I upgraded my multi-tool the second time (one that could be classified as a mid-tier upgrade), I found it more efficient to just kill them and use one of the shield-restoring plants that are everywhere on the surface. After that point, combat becomes just as mindless as any other aspect of the game and more a chore than something to be engaged with.  

Speaking of upgrades, the problem with the crafting here is that there really isn't much to do here. You can't build bases on the planets in space, you don't have the ability to customize your ship, and you don't see what you look like so you can't even change the appearance of yourself. And even if you could build those things, once you move on from that system it's very hard to return to it as it can be difficult to navigate back to. The only thing you can really craft are the upgrades to your multi-tool and ship. But as I discussed in the previous paragraph, you quickly realize that it's pointless as there isn't a need beyond what you can get with the core multi-tool plus the rapid fire attachments. It's also not like there is this girth of varied recipes to find either as I quickly started running into messages of "already known recipe" after spending a great deal of time on a couple of planets. 

In fact, about the only thing you'll find yourself crafting after a decent amount of time spent in the game are the environmental shields which bring me to the survival aspect of the game. With the aforementioned shields, you'll only really need those on planets that have extreme environments. But there are so many planets out there, that an argument could be made of why you'd waste your time on those. Assuming for the moment you are one of those that just want to discover everything, even when you do choose to stay on those planets, all you need to do is find a bit of shelter (which is easy with a grenade launcher that comes standard on about every multi-tool once you start hitting around 20-ish slots) and after a minute or so your environmental levels are back to full strength. You do have to refill things like your life support system and reload your weapons, but plutonium is so prevalent on planets that you aren't going to run into an issue there either. 

You wanna know what genre this has the most in common with honestly... Mobile time sink game. The difference though is that unlike those games where you have timers which prevent you from putting lots of consecutive hours into it (without spending money anyways), with this game it's because it's pretty easy to get bored with it. Honestly, this game feels more like a better fit on mobile devices as the graphics aren't that demanding, the size of the game is like two GB, and as something you come back to and play in short doses, this game would have pretty long legs. 

With all that being said, had there of been something really great at the end of the journey that made it all meaningful, then I would be more forgiving as far as it's shortcomings. Sadly, as I discovered there wasn't any such pot of gold at the end of this rainbow. To put it bluntly, the conclusion to both their end game goals suck and are a complete disappointment. If you want to know what they are exactly I'll put it in spoilers below. But what I can say is that if you are still playing in hopes that there's something really cool at the center of the galaxy, then you are just setting yourself up for a letdown. 

In case you skipped to the bottom looking for a summary, here it is; unless you are someone that likes to play botanist, this isn't a game for you. Yes, there's a lot of planets to explore, but there's not a lot of fun to be had once you get to those planets. I would advise anyone considering purchasing the game to hold off until the price drops to around $20 or $30. Not only do I think that price is more in line with what the game is worth, but hopefully by then they'll of added in features to make the game feel less like a drag.

The end of the Atlas story line is that you get to name a new star that some player will spawn at that. Sounds interesting at first until you realize that you don't get to name it up front nor will you ever be able to travel to it. And as far as what is at the center of the universe, it's just a soft reset. What happens is that you get sent to a new galaxy where your ship crash land and you have to repair everything you did in the beginning.

Nice impressions, thanks. It took me a long time though because I'm busy rendering foam and it's very stuttttttery. Lol

I am waiting for them to fix it up and add more content/variation; then it will be cheaper anyway, so win win. I am still damn intriged by this game though regardless of all the naysay. It's kind of like I need to try it out for myself even after watching this video which certainly hammers the development of the game:

It still looks very relaxing to me as I'd play it a little at a time, like what is being suggested here. VERY conflicting game though certainly.

Edited by Guest

Check out the Crossfire mod, for Freelancer, solves the modern system issues & adds ENB & other goodness.

I was just thinking of how sad it was that I wasn't able to play this game. Now I just have to figure out where to get a copy of the game, as I've long since lost that disk... wasn't it tied into windows in some way?