Windows 10 and the 4GB vram limit

Hi guys,  

Just saw the note about about Windows10 DX9 4GB vram limit :-(    That explains why my current SRLE playthru from Dec '15 on has produced such a FPS drop and stagger outdoors.  I thought my new pc w/980Ti 6mb would handle all the 4k options I chose during my SRLE install...  ah now I know why it's choking.

My question is - since I'm (yet again :-)) building out another SRLE + Darth's LoTD should I be creating a dual boot WIN 7 just for Skryim modded?  I have a 1TB SSD so space shouldn't be a problem.   Will the VRAM boost using WIN7 be a no brainer over what WIN10 caps you with?   Are most of you still powering away with WIN7?   

Tip: If you haven't dual booted Win 10 before;

With hibernation still enabled make sure you fully turn off fast boot/start in power options > system settings, select "Choose what the power buttons do" on the left, then click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable". Then un-tick the setting and then turn off hibernation on your way back through your chosen power plan. Then open elevated command prompt. Type "powercfg /h off" with out the quotes and hit enter.

If you can't see the option to un-tick fast start/boot, you will need to enable hibernation, "powercfg /h on" then disable it again after your done.

This avoids fast start/boot bypassing the boot manager. It has the added benefit of not starting Win 10 in a "dirty state" left over from the last shutdown.

When I created my dual boot system, I installed iReboot. It adds an icon to the system tray. Right-clicking on the icon allows you to choose the O/S you want to boot to (in my case, I set it up for Win10, Win10 Safe Mode, Win7 and Win7 Safe Mode).

Simply selecting one from the menu shuts down the PC and reboots it into the chosen O/S.

(I also used EasyBCD to create the start menu options).

Have you actually checked with something like performance monitor? Hitting 4gb is pretty hard, even with some 4k options (heavy 4k textures can do that though). I would advise you to go for 2k btw. The difference is not only hard to see unless very close, the stuttering from loading all those textures all the time is annoying in my experience.

Edited by Spock

Have you actually checked with something like performance monitor? Hitting 4gb is pretty hard, even with some 4k options (heavy 4k textures can do that though). I would advise you to go for 2k btw. The difference is not only hard to see unless very close, the stuttering from loading all those textures all the time is annoying in my experience.

Thanks for the input.  Performance monitor has me pinned around 4124mb running around outside in Morthal (but I did load up on 4K during my last SRLE build).

I never really bothered to check vram usage since I always thought I was at a minimum using 6GB plus whatever RAM I added on with ENB.  I finally realized the other day that my WIN10 VRAM usage is capped - which explains my stuttering and FPS drop.  

I guess I just want the option to push the rig.  I've never compared side by side 2K to 4K but other than the FPS drop and too frequent stutter the game looks great.  That and a new SRLE LoTD build makes me want to open the VRAM gate! 

I was constantly hitting over 4gb and crashing on Win10 on a heavily modded SRLE LotD build, with virtually no 4k at all. My average in SPM was usually around 3300-3700. I have just set up dual boot and the difference on Win7 is incredible, particularly on load times.

Edited by dunc001

Is there a way to see the value while in game before it reaches the 4gb? I've been experiencing the same issue as well on win10 with the biggest textures is 2K only while the rest is 1K

The way I got SPM to work was launch it through MO. Unlock it and then launch the game like you normally would with SKSE.

If you set it up correctly it should work. Reference gamer poets video.

I was constantly hitting over 4gb and crashing on Win10 on a heavily modded SRLE LotD build, with virtually no 4k at all. My average in SPM was usually around 3300-3700. I have just set up dual boot and the difference on Win7 is incredible, particularly on load times.

I'm totally torn.  I want to get the SRLE LoTD build moving but I've been having a bear of a time creating the WIN7 boot partition.  I basically gave up last night and was going to move ahead with just WIN10.  Now I'm not so sure again.  I hate having the 980Ti 6GB go to waste like that.   

The way I got SPM to work was launch it through MO. Unlock it and then launch the game like you normally would with SKSE.

If you set it up correctly it should work. Reference gamer poets video.

Well I'm aware of that but even when my vram usage around 1900 - 2048 mostly it doesn't show up when it reached the 4gb limit. I only wanted to know if there is anyway to see it so that maybe we can prepare and save first before it crashes, unless there is no way to do it and just save and save

Thanks for your response :)

I'm totally torn.  I want to get the SRLE LoTD build moving but I've been having a bear of a time creating the WIN7 boot partition.  I basically gave up last night and was going to move ahead with just WIN10.  Now I'm not so sure again.  I hate having the 980Ti 6GB go to waste like that.   

Really?  I just followed THIS post and it had no trouble at all.  I'd also heartily recommend you get iReboot and EasyBCD from HERE to make switching back and forwards easier than the bootloader screen

Really?  I just followed THIS post and it had no trouble at all.  I'd also heartily recommend you get iReboot and EasyBCD from HERE to make switching back and forwards easier than the bootloader screen

Oh I did lol,  but running into a snag.   "Windows installation cannot continue because a required driver could not be installed"  I get that early during the 2d step of the installation.  I have an ASUS x99A MB and added the SATA driver but I can't decipher the setupact.log file to figure out what driver can't be installed  :O_o: .     

But if you say you notice a world of difference running SRLE LoTD fully modded on WIN7 well then I think I need to keep swinging...