Merge or Replace Help?

You probably should choose to install it manually and unclick the ones listed when the guide says do not install these files.(Double click the mod on downloads pane of mod organizer and click manual then unclick the ones as noted)Some of them are listed as 'After Installation' so you should delete those after installation.(Right click the mod you just installed that is visible in the left pane and click on open in explorer then you should delete/change the ones noted)

Edited by Bircangelo

another question - when it says to not install certain files, i usually right click and go into the file tree and delete those files. Am i doing this right?

Yep, that is the way I do it.

You can also right-click and hide the files, which will just put a .mohidden extension on the so that Skyrim won't recognize them (and you can restore them later if you want). But MO still has to load the files at runtime, I believe, which kinda defeats the purpose of deleting the Readme files and such. Not a big deal in any case, IMO.

...But MO still has to load the files at runtime, I believe, which kinda defeats the purpose of deleting the Readme files and such...

If by 'load' you mean show them in the file system, then yes you might want to delete them. However there is next to no overhead restriction imposed on MO's UI in keeping these files and for all intents and purposes there are deleted. As far as the game is concerned they aren't there and MO still functions exactly the same whether there are a million files or just 1. (Slight exaggeration but it is just to highlight that there is no performance loss by keeping them.)

another question - when it says to not install certain files, i usually right click and go into the file tree and delete those files. Am i doing this right?

You probably should choose to install it manually and unclick the ones listed when the guide says do not install these files.(Double click the mod on downloads pane of mod organizer and click manual then unclick the ones as noted)Some of them are listed as 'After Installation' so you should delete those after installation.(Right click the mod you just installed that is visible in the left pane and click on open in explorer then you should delete/change the ones noted)

FYI: Same end result with either method.