Area around Solitude has floating grass and trees and windmills and waterwheels without structures

vile83r

Question

I've been playing on this latest install for a while. It is a pure SRLE installation based off the guide in mid May.

I've been around to various areas of the map doing little quests and everything looks beautiful. But, when I took a carriage ride to Solitude so I could hike to Statue of Meridia. It was during this that I noticed all this weirdness.

Has anyone encountered this before? So far, this is the only area with this happening.

I appreciate any help.

tmp_1734_SHIELD_Hub_20160607_23145494480

tmp_1734_SHIELD_Hub_20160608_01164612628

tmp_1734_SHIELD_Hub_20160608_01184340209

15 answers to this question

The issue is not memory related. It is something in my save game. I started a new game, leaving all settings as they were and picked I was a patron at an Inn and then chose Winking Skeever in Solitude as my starting location to quickly get to Solitude. When I walk out of Solitude everything is there as it should be. No floating grass or trees or missing buildings.

So, the conflict is something in my old save and not memory related.

I should be able to troubleshoot from here. I appreciate all your help.

The BSAs are checked and everything seems to be deselected as far as ESP files after merging.

I'v saved the guide of June 11th as a PDF so I will have a frozen version of the guide as it was when I installed the mods since the guide is always changing.

I'm going to go through and delete mods no longer in the guide, update any outdated mods, and install any new mods. Merge mods that require it etc. Essentially redo the setup as if it was a fresh install.

My save game my end up not working but that's OK.

Something was tweaking out that area for sure. Maybe a worldspace conflict or something. I'll update if the issue is gone or still there after I finish the update.

I finished reinstalling/updating my SRLE. Sadly, the problem still exists except now I can see windows floating for buildings that should be there and I can also see small floating flames. Very strange stuff.

I don't think it is memory related. I have gtx 980ti with 6GB over vram. Due to the way Windows 10 caps vram on 32 bit dx9 games I can use only 4GB. All that is set correctly to 3071 in my enblocal using the formula in the guide. In this area, I'm using under 3GB.

As a comparison, I've included a snapshot of outside Whiterun which uses more vram and looks fantastic. Here is the link again to my Google Drive with the images. Images 1,2, and 3 are the original images from my original post. 4,5, and 6 are the new screenshots. Image 7 is of Whiterun looking beautiful.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-asu3UJkcUXUUU4WTAzMWhYNDg

Thanks for your help.

I mistyped my enblocal. It is set to 3714. Per the guide for Windows 10 it's 4064 - 350 = 3714.

I have 16GB of system ram but Skyrim can only use 4GB. Is that correct?

Why is Skyrim using system memory in this one spot instead of video memory? It is using under 3GB of my vram here. It does not make sense.

And why would that cause trees and grass to float above the ground?

I will run the game using lesser settings and see what happens.

I was able to fix my save game by going into the test hall and waiting 30 days. Now, everything looks great. Interesting to see what all those missing structures were. I had no idea a whole little village was there. Again, I appreciate your help.

SHIELD_Hub_20160615_215439.jpg

Edited by vile83r

After looking at the pics one more time it actually looks like the objects are not loading at all and the LOD remains.

The grass only spawns around the camera.

I remember getting this when I had safety load. Another explanation is DDL needs some refreshing by going into an interior then to an exterior.

I mistyped my enblocal. It is set to 3714. Per the guide for Windows 10 it's 4064 - 350 = 3714.

I have 16GB of system ram but Skyrim can only use 4GB. Is that correct?

Why is Skyrim using system memory in this one spot instead of video memory? It is using under 3GB of my vram here. It does not make sense.

And why would that cause trees and grass to float above the ground?

I will run the game using lesser settings and see what happens.

No, it's just 4064. Always use the value from the DX9 test tool. That is the correct value, no deductions necessary.

Skyrim can indeed only use 4GB of system ram.

Skyrim always uses system memory. It can't not use system memory. Data has to load to system ram for processing before being fired at VRAM. If you can't load data in to system ram because you hit the 32bit address space cap, you get your screenshots.

So, your save is not broken, DynDOLOD isn't broken. You ran out of ram for Skyrim to load the cell data. Go to a previous working save and continue as normal. No need for new game.

No, it's just 4064. Always use the value from the DX9 test tool. That is the correct value, no deductions necessary.

Skyrim can indeed only use 4GB of system ram.

Skyrim always uses system memory. It can't not use system memory. Data has to load to system ram for processing before being fired at VRAM. If you can't load data in to system ram because you hit the 32bit address space cap, you get your screenshots.

So, your save is not broken, DynDOLOD isn't broken. You ran out of ram for Skyrim to load the cell data. Go to a previous working save and continue as normal. No need for new game.

I did get it fixed by going into the test hall and waiting 30 days. I think what Daedric Prince mentioned regarding the DDL needing to be refreshed is essentially what I did by waiting the 30 days. The issue no longer exists.

I will take your advice also and set it to 4064.  I got that info about subtracting 350MB from the following link https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENBlocal_INI/Memory

Under the section titled VideoMemorySizeMb it mentions the formula. I just went with it.

I'd sure like to have access to all 6GB my vram and I'll be picking up a GTX 1070 with 8GB of vram as soon as MSI puts one out that's not based on the reference card design.  I've read Windows 7 allows dx9 to access more than 4GB of vram.  Is that true? Would it be worth having a dual boot with a Win 7 installation? I play this game more than any other and I'd be willing to set up a Win 7 if it would benefit this game.

Thanks again.

I'd sure like to have access to all 6GB my vram and I'll be picking up a GTX 1070 with 8GB of vram as soon as MSI puts one out that's not based on the reference card design.  I've read Windows 7 allows dx9 to access more than 4GB of vram.  Is that true? Would it be worth having a dual boot with a Win 7 installation? I play this game more than any other and I'd be willing to set up a Win 7 if it would benefit this game.

skyrim can access all 6GB of VRAM in win7. I think win win10 has that "bug" that limited it to a total of 4064

I now dual boot just for skyrim.

I did get it fixed by going into the test hall and waiting 30 days. I think what Daedric Prince mentioned regarding the DDL needing to be refreshed is essentially what I did by waiting the 30 days. The issue no longer exists.

I will take your advice also and set it to 4064.  I got that info about subtracting 350MB from the following link https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENBlocal_INI/Memory

Under the section titled VideoMemorySizeMb it mentions the formula. I just went with it.

Thanks again.

If you're using saftey load, it forces ram allocation/deallocation to occur only on exterior to interior change over, otherwise you see what happens in your screenshots. Crashfixes with the os allocators enabled will resolve the issue and remove the need for saftey load however.

As to whether you need to dual boot windows 7? No, not unless you plan on using 4K skin textures and load up on NPC's. If using 2K textures with 2k/1k normalmaps, you'll be very hard pushed to need more than the 4064MB of VRAM you have access to on Windows 10.