NOTEChanges to the live guide can occur at any time between releases, so review this changelog to see what may have changed since your 2.0.0 build date.
Any changes made to the current version of the live guide.
Cleaning Vanilla Master Plugins
- Revised these complex instructions to hopefully be clearer.
- Added sun size tweaks to reduce the sun size for optimization for use with ENB.
- Added instructions to disable lens flare and SSAO and to decrease sun size if ENB is used. Also added a note to the BethINI setup Display section about this.
- Added instruction to set
EnableTearing=truein SSE Display Tweaks config in order to unlimit FPS properly for all.
- Updated xLODGen terrain LOD instructions to increase resolution for LOD32 to 2048.
- Updated xLODGen terrain LOD instructions for A Clear Map of Skyrim and Other Worlds update to use ACMOS Road Generator tool on the output.
- Updated Cathedral Weathers and Seasons mod instructions (the update file is really only necessary for those using ENB).
- Updated Static Mesh Improvement Mod Improvement Mod mod instructions
- Updated Skyrim SE particle patch for ENB mod instructions
- Updated Embers XD mod instructions
- Updated Waterbreathing Breathless Emerge SSE mod instructions
- Updated A Clear Map of Skyrim and Other Worlds mod instructions
- Updated Fixed Mesh Lighting mod instructions
- Updated Skyrim Landscape and Water Fixes mod instructions to hide meshes\landscape\ice\icepilem02.nif
Optional ENBSeries Support
The SkyrimSE Guide is the first Step Guide that officially supports ENBSeries. ENBSeries is an optional component of the Guide and with its support come a few new features:
- A new ENB flag on the mod tables indicated by a blue vertical bar to the left of a mod listing indicating mods that include ENB instructions
- A new '21-Post-Processing' ModGroup added listing mods that support and enhance ENBSeries
- Three custom ENBseries preset with various performance options made specifically for this build
DynDOLOD 3 Support
Step has been working closely with sheson to establish evidence-based LODGen instructions, including new support for DynDOLOD 3.
Improved Guide Workflow
The workflow of mod-build guides has been revised to both reduce page length of guide pages and to facilitate simper updating from version to version. A great deal of consideration was given to the user experience. Step's updated mod-build guides require much less off-guide navigation, because mod installation instructions now make use of collapsible elements within the 'ModGroup' tables themselves.
New 'ModGroup' Tables
Mods are grouped together based on standardized, logical categories called 'ModGroups' that maximize differentiation while minimizing conflicts. These ModGroups are the same across all game-specific mod-build guides. This improves mod list organization while also reducing the need to hide individual mod assets; thus, improving workflow and reducing the potential for user error from missed steps.
Table Flags Updated
The flags (colored vertical bars) found at the front of a mod listing have been updated to use Step's color flow. Going forward, a red vertical bar indicates that the mod is required by the Step Patch - Conflict Resolution, a yellow bar indicates that the mod is required by the Step L&W Patch, and a blue bar indicates the mod supports or otherwise relates to ENBSeries.
The below changes have happened between v1.0.0 and v2.0.0.
- Updated xLODGen settings to clean up most the z-fighting (flickering) along the banks and shores in the distance
- DynDOLOD 3 has been adopted, and corresponding instructions have been updated.
- TexGen 3 settings instructions updated corresponding to best practice
- Grass LOD has been introduced as an optional component supported by DynDOLOD 3.
The additional following changes were made:
- A general review and further cleanup of the Guide has been completed (formatting, grammar, clarifications, etc.)
- With the additional features, the Recommended System Requirement for CPU has been updated to support the need of a slightly more powerful processor.
- Likewise, the Minimum System Requirement for CPU has been updated to support a slightly more modern generation of processors.
- Reworked instructions for cleaning the vanilla master files to include the Creation Club addons.
- BethINI instructions updated to reflect latest-known optimizations for performance/quality ratio
- Added a Game Launch Test section after 02-Extenders to verify that the user has so far installed everything correctly.
- Added a Mod List Cleanup & Performance Check section after 20-Patches to allow users to verify their performance before deciding to install Lighting/ENB/LOD options.
- Added new guidance in Introduction and Step 4 for optional ModGroup installation and moved Step Patches description from Step 3 to Step 4
Added | new mod added (add these mods)
Moved | mod was moved to a new ModGroup (move these mods)
Updated | mod instructions updated
Incorporated | mod is included in the Step Patch - Conflict Resolution (remove these mods)
Dropped / Replaced | mod was removed (remove these mods)
- Tool Installation section and associated content has been relocated to the System Setup Guide.
- Once two Guides were set up and running, we saw that this information was essentially being duplicated. Part of the v3.0 release was to streamline this type of information, therefore, removing it from the Guides and placing it on the Setup Guide was a decision to continue the v3.0 streamlining. The Guides now only include Tool Setup because the setup steps will differ from game to game.
- xEdit Output mod from the Beta version has been reintroduced.
- This is to capture and support xEdit Cache files, as well as, plugin backups. This change affects the MO Profile Setup and Tool Setup instructions.
- BethINI setup at the beginning of the Guide has been reworked to be a visual installation.
- This is easier to follow and condenses all required changes. Simply match the screenshots provided! Several settings have been tweaked, so be sure to revisit this section.
- Assorted Mesh Fixes
- DynDOLOD Resources SE 3
- Enhanced Lights and FX | Meshes only
- ELFX Fixes | Meshes only
- ELFX - Exteriors Fixes
- Flickering Meshes Fix
- Mesh Patch for Various Mods | This is installed in separate pieces 04-Foundation (final postion(s) TBD)
- Static Mesh Improvement Mod - SMIM - Quality_Addon
- Static Mesh Improvement Mod Improvement Mod
- DynDOLOD Resources SE | This was dropped to migrate to DynDOLOD v3
05-Animation & Physics
06-Models & Textures
- 3D Junipers - Trees and Berries
- 3D Snowberries
- 3D Snowberries HD Texture Option
- Aspens Ablaze
- Aspens Ablaze Add-On - DynDOLOD 3
- Better Dyndolod Red Mountain Plume
- Blackreach Tentacle Mesh Fix
- Blended Roads
- Embers XD
- Enhanced Vanilla Textures - Shrines
- Fixed Mesh Lighting
- Iconic's Remastered Paragon Gems
- Markarth - A Reflective Experience
- Obsidian Mountain Fogs
- Skyrim - A Mountainous Experience
- Whiterun Mesh Fixes
- Whiterun Skyforge - Reforged
- Dropped / Replaced
- Embers HD | Replaced by Embers XD
- Gold Septim - Coins Retex | Dropped. Textures aren't a good fit for Guide.
- Greatsword Sheaths and Scabbards Redux SE | Only 7 files remained from this mod; therefore, it has been dropped
- Inferno - Fire Effects Redux | Replaced by Embers XD
- New Thinner Torch | Replaced by Embers XD
- Ren's HD Shrines | Replaced by Enhanced Vanilla Textures - Shrines
- RUSTIC NORDIC MURALS | 100% redundant with RUSTIC RELIEFS
- Ultimate HD Torch | Replaced by Embers XD
- AMidianBorn Book of Silence | Removed Creatures file from the instructions as it's now fully covered by other mods.
- Bellyaches Animal and Creature Pack | Re-added Deer to the installation since MM Elks never made the official release.
- Dark Brotherhood Tenets Restored | The mod download link erroneously pointed to the wrong mod. It now points to the intended mod.
- Dragonbone Mastery | Updated instructions to better fit with Better Shaped Weapons.
- Enhanced Vanilla Trees SE | Updated instructions to reflect the new version on Nexus, which has fixed/improved LOD models.
- ETHEREAL CLOUDS | Removed instructions (all users should install this mod)
- Frankly HD Dragonbone and Dragonscale | Moved to sort alphabetically in ModGroup.
- Realistic Water Two SE | Updated instructions for latest version.
07-Sounds & Music
- Battle-Ready Candlelight Fixes
- Labyrinthian Shalidor's Maze Fixes
- Fix Note Icon for SkyUI (SKSE64 plugin)
- Powerofthrees Tweaks
- Shadows Of Sunlight - In Small Exterior World Spaces
- SPID for Footprints
- Unnecessarily Fixed Fixed Dragon Stalking Fix
- XP32 Maximum Skeleton SE - Fixed Scripts
- XPMSSE - Nemesis - Papyrus Stack Fix
- Skyrim Landscape and Water Fixes | Updated for latest version of mod; now installing additional patches.
- SSE Engine Fixes | Reclassified and moved to 02-Extenders
Dropped / Replaced
- 1st Person Candlelight Fix | Replaced by Battle-Ready Candlelight Fixes.
- Bug Fixes SSE | Not compatible with the latest 1.6.x runtime.
- Enchantment Reload Fix SE | Not compatible with the latest 1.6.x runtime.
- Modern Brawl Bug Fix | Included in Vokrii - Minimalistic Perks of Skyrim.
- NPC AI Process Position Fix - SSE | Not compatible with the latest 1.6.x runtime.
- Stay At The System Page | Not compatible with the latest 1.6.x runtime.
- Skyrim Skill Uncapper | Not compatible with the latest 1.6.x runtime.
- Complete Alchemy and Cooking Overhaul | Updated installation instructions.
11-Gameplay-AI & Combat
- Faction Fixes SE | Updated installation instructions.
- Weapons Armor Clothing and Clutter Fixes | Relocated to 10-Gameplay-General for better categorization.
- Dropped / Replaced
15-Gameplay-Skills & Perks
Dropped / Replaced
- Font Overhaul | Updated for latest version of the mod
- Whose Quest Is It Anyway | Not compatible with the latest 1.6.x runtime.
18-Lighting & Weather
- Relighting Skyrim - SSE | added instructions for ENB users
Dropped / Replaced
- Kryptopyrs Patch Hub | Updated mod instructions
- Step Patch - Conflict Resolution | Renamed for consistency. Also incorporated the following:
- General conflict resolution completed for mod updates.
- Included pregenerated grass cache files.
- Included custom DynDOLOD rules.
- Step Patch - Lighting & Weather | Renamed for consistency. Also incorporated the following:
- Fixed white lights from Lanterns of Skyrim.
- Deadly Spell Impacts Transparency Fix for ENB
- ENB Helper SE
- ENB Light
- ENB Lights for Aetherium Shards
- ENB Particle Lights Dwemer Lanterns
- Particle Lights For ENB SE - Paragon Gems
- Particle Lights for ENB Wisps Witchlight
- Radiant - Candles
- Rudy HQ More Lights for ENB SE Bthardamz
- Rudy HQ More Lights for ENB SE Deathbells and Nirnroots
- Rudy HQ More Lights for ENB SE Glowing Mushrooms
- Rudy HQ More Lights for ENB SE Torchbugs and Moths
- Word Wall Transparency Fix for ENB
- Step Patch - Post-Processing