Optimizer Textures

mothergoose729

Question

Optimizer Textures by AdPipino

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/12801

STEP currently recommends DDSopt for optimizing textures. I think DDSopt can often times be a superior tool, however I think Optimizer Textures would be a better fit for STEP.

The reason is DDSopt has problems with exceptions. To optimize a BSA you have to extract the BSA into loose files and optimize those, because otherwise DDSopt will ruin the BSA. If you select a file that DDSopt is not suited to optimize, than DDSopt can kill the file (read esm, esps, ect). When I optimized my own game using the tool, I noticed that the on camera blood effects from Enhanced Blood textures were corrupted, for example. DDSopt, if configured properly, can work all its magic and do none of its harm but the problem is the configuration process is somewhat involved, and not well suited for the average STEP user.

Enter Optimizer Textures. Optimzer Textures does not even need to be extracted from an archive to work. You simply select maximum strength, click BSA, click select all in the BSA tab, and run it. At maximum strength I was able to get my textures folder down to about 4.5gb, while DDSopt forced it down to about 3.95gb using recommend settings. DDSopt does slightly better job with mipmaps, but texture optimzer actually seemed leaner on VRAM, probably due to not including as many mipmaps. Another advantage is that Optimizer Textures takes about 15 minutes to process my texture folder, and about an hour to process all of my BSAs. To perform the same task with DDSopt took somewhere somewhere around three or four hours on my system, mileage of course will vary. 

Also, I want to note that in the PDF section 3.A.7 "Increase Overall Performance", the hyperlink that says "texture optimization" leads to this page:

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Skyrim_Installation#tab=Graphic_Editors

I believe that is a mistake. EDIT: I see, it in the utilities tab. There really should be a separate page for this.

Advantages of DDSopt over Optimzer Textures:

Better compression

Better mipmaps

Advantages of Optimize Textures over DDSopt:

Works much more quickly

Much easier to use

Don't have to worry about exceptions - handles them on their own

Optimizing BSAs does not requires manual extraction and repackaging

cons of DDSopt:

Difficult to use

Need to worry about exceptions, and some of them may not yet be known

Takes a long time to run

I don't want to see STEP get rid of DDSopt or stop recommending it in the STEP guide, instead I want STEP to first recommend Optimzer Textures because it is easier to use and faster, and then I would like to see the community work on a better and more complete power users guide for DDSopt for the brave and daring willing to try it. I think that would give the best of both worlds.

Guide to using Optimizer Textures to optimize your skyrim game.

Download optimizer textures from the nexus.

Extract the archive into a folder. Then double click on ordenator.exe

Posted Image

In the window, click on the folder icon, and navigate to you skyrim data folder. For most of you, this will be in 'C://ProgramFiles/Steam/steamapps/common/skyrim'.

Posted Image

In the upper right under profiles, click on the menu and select "maximum". In the menu below it, select "skyrim".

Posted Image

Click on the box titled "BSA" and then on the tab called "BSA" to the right of "Textures". Check the boxes "Compress BSA", "unite internal files", and "Mark BSA". All of your BSA files will be shown to the right. Select all of them by checking each box.

Posted Image

When you have done this, click start. Optimizer Textures will run and optimize your entire skyrim install. A window will pop up showing its progress. Wait until it is finished.

Posted Image

My particular data folder has been optimized before, but there are a few textures that I have added sense the last time I ran it.

Optimizer Textures will create a back up of every file it changes and all your BSA in a folder called "Texture Backups" located in "C://TextureBackups". Your texture folder will be archived. To restore you old unoptimized texture just extract it to your data folder in skyrim. Your BSAs will be backed up and renamed with the file extension ".bak" added to it. To restore you old BSA, just rename the file so as to delete the ".bak" extension, and move it to your data folder in skyrim.

Posted Image

• Answers 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Well first off, hopefully they won't just happen to stumble across the forums after we thoroughly plastered links in the guide and on the Nexus, but I digress. Obviously this situation would be bad, but I think it's unlikely to happen. As it stands, yes DDSopt is rather undocumented and there's no defined method for using it with STEP, but that doesn't mean we're just going to say "here's DDSopt, it's cool, good luck with it". Before we recommend it for common use we'll need to make some kind of documentation and we'd build a batch program that will utilize the command line parameters. We've been talking about releasing a "STEP Backbone" type thing that includes all the utilities needed (MO and/or WB, DDSopt, etc.) in one package, along with an empty folder structure (again for MO or WB) that allows for very simple installation of all mods. Then we'd have a batch file that ran DDSopt properly (possibly with some configuration options, depends how complex we go).

I agree that texture optimization is a huge plus simply for the performance boost in VRAM. Getting the texture sizes down is a great thing. In my opinion, though this may not be realistic, the best option is to contact the authors of the mods and have them optimize their own textures. Thus, the downloaded mods come pre-optimized. This eliminates the modder having to use any optimization tool and makes it easier for STEP.

Handing out a banner (which would be had to revoke) or giving an honorable mention as a "Trusted Author" wiki  page (obviously that wiki page wouldn't be editable by the public) would provide an incentive for the authors to take STEP suggestions for their mods such as cleaning and optimizing them. For those select authors that just don't care, STEP could get permission to provide an already cleaned and optimized mod as an alternative just like Farlo did with Dragon Glyphs HD -Fixed.

That in my opinion, though maybe unfeasible, would be the best option. It doesn't hurt to ask the authors that are featured to pitch in.

I agree that texture optimization is a huge plus simply for the performance boost in VRAM. Getting the texture sizes down is a great thing. In my opinion, though this may not be realistic, the best option is to contact the authors of the mods and have them optimize their own textures. Thus, the downloaded mods come pre-optimized. This eliminates the modder having to use any optimization tool and makes it easier for STEP.

Handing out a banner (which would be had to revoke) or giving an honorable mention as a "Trusted Author" wiki  page (obviously that wiki page wouldn't be editable by the public) would provide an incentive for the authors to take STEP suggestions for their mods such as cleaning and optimizing them. For those select authors that just don't care, STEP could get permission to provide an already cleaned and optimized mod as an alternative just like Farlo did with Dragon Glyphs HD -Fixed.

That in my opinion, though maybe unfeasible, would be the best option. It doesn't hurt to ask the authors that are featured to pitch in.

We had a discussion about a STEP stamp of approval (somewhere around here... *starts shuffling through papers*) and we came to the conclusion: "Not right now".  I'd explain the reasons again but I'm heading off to bed, try searching.

Until we can offer an easy-to-use way of optimizing the entire installation then asking the mod authors to do it is the best bet (both for STEP and the entire community).  If enough of us pester them they'll eventually cave :P

We had a discussion about a STEP stamp of approval (somewhere around here... *starts shuffling through papers*) and we came to the conclusion: "Not right now".  I'd explain the reasons again but I'm heading off to bed, try searching.

Until we can offer an easy-to-use way of optimizing the entire installation then asking the mod authors to do it is the best bet (both for STEP and the entire community).  If enough of us pester them they'll eventually cave :P

I remember reading about it and if I recall the "not right now" was mainly because once given out the "stamp" would be hard to revoke because the author controls it from there on. The wiki page would be a solution to that. STEP would control which authors are on the list and would be able to revoke them from the list at any time. Asking the authors is the best solution for now I guess.  *walking over to nexus to pester some authors* :devil:

Asking the authors is the best solution for now I guess.  *walking over to nexus to pester some authors* :devil:

*sigh* those poor bastards.  

I have no problem optimizing other mods as well if it really comes down to it, although I'd prefer that the mod was stable/final and the author wasn't active before I do so, otherwise I'll feel like I'm stealing downloads/endorsements.

I have no problem optimizing other mods as well if it really comes down to it, although I'd prefer that the mod was stable/final and the author wasn't active before I do so, otherwise I'll feel like I'm stealing downloads/endorsements.

I get what you're saying and here is the basic logic that runs in my head:

The more modders that use STEP = the more modders STEP is sending to the authors page(s) = the more possible endorsements for those authors/mods

If STEP encourages STEP users to endorse the authors on the wiki page that I suggested then that's an even greater potential for more endorsements because STEP would be provide yet another link to their page. However, if the authors don't care to clean and optimize their mods then no wiki listing = less endorsements = potential for us (with permission) to clean/optimize author's work and offer it to STEP users instead of the original which = potentially stolen endorsements.

Quite frankly, I don't see why the author wouldn't do it. If I was a mod author I'd want to offer the very best product that I could and that would mean cleaning and optimizing my mods. It just seems like it should be part of mod authoring 101.

I have personally either messaged or posted in the comments about texture optimizations for most texture mods in sections 2B and 2C. Currently, the following mods, either through documentation or personal message, have been found to be pre-optimized by the authors:

• HI-Res DLC Optimized
  • Pond Fish Retexture (DOPR5)
  • AOF Believable Hair
  • Deadly Spell Impacts (Isoku's mods)
  • Golden Gods Shines (psychosteves)
  • Skyrim Realistic Overhual(texture pack combiner(tpc)/Starac)
  • High Quality LODs (tpc)
  • Detailed Chests Texture Replacer (tpc)
  • HiRes Legible Road Signs (tpc/SpartanVI's mod)
  • Intricate Spider Webs (tpc/Isoku's mod)
  • Realistic Smoke and Embers (tpc/Isoku's mod)
  • Skyrim Floral Overhaul (tpc, vurt)
  • Snow and Rocks HD (tpc)
  • Visible Windows (tpc/Isoku's mod)
Better Freckles is not optimized because the author had issues with compressed textures so this mod should not be optimized.

Bellyaches Animal & Creature Pack will no longer be updated; however, the author has authorized it's editing as long as he's given credit. The same goes for HQ Skyrim Map.

The author's replies (will update as the come in):

Carnage009:

"From what I can gather the optimisation is for use on Normal Maps, my Mod (Elemental Staffs) uses the Normal Maps that come from the Skyrim system files and are unedited. So there is really no point in optimising them."

Clintmich:

"I ususally compress them to DXT1 format for textures and DXT3 format for normal maps."

CptJoker71:

"I've not heard of DDSopt, and I haven't experimented with any form of optimisation. I gathered since it was a single semi-static image (Enhanced Night Skyrim, at least) it wouldn't make much difference to performance, but I could be wrong? The Finer Dust texture is already quite small. I'll have a look at the files sometime, but I suspect that despite being quite high-resolution the performance impact would be marginal. Thanks for bringing it to my attention all the same, and it'll be something certainly to bear in mind in my future projects."

DOPR5:

"My textures are saved via Photoshop CS5.1 with the Nvidia plugin. Standard textures without an alpha are saved as DTX1 (1 bit alpha) and normal maps as DTX5 (interpolated alpha). Other then that, I've done nothing else to them."

Isoku:

"DDSopt is just a tool that makes sure they are saved in the correct format. All my textures are saved in correct formats." I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and saying all his mods are optimized. I'll update as I get replies.

Psychosteves:

"I'm using the DDS Nvidia texture tool for Photoshop so they should be optimized depending of the format (DDS1 to DDS5)"

Regnbagar for HQ Beards and HQ Eyebrows replied with:

"They aren't (optimized). And sure, I'll look into it."

Spartan VI replied with:

"They're compressed using the nvidia DDS plugin for Photoshop. DDSopt shouldn't be able to do much for my texture mods, since I already selected the correct DXT format for my files. You're more than welcome to try it on my files; I'd be interested to see if there's any change in file size/quality." I'd try it but I don't know how to use DDSopt. :)

Starac:

"I optimize every texture manually with proper Bicubic filters. So those tools are not recommended."

Vurt:

"no need. i always save them with the most efficient compression and with as many mip-maps i think is needed."

Textures that will not be optimized by their authors:

• Realistic Hair (Ichibu)
  • Project Parallax (all textures from tpc/ osmodius /claims they are but needs to be tested)

Most these authors said they're either not currently modding, don't know anything about compression or are concerned with a loss in quality.

Updated the OP with a optimizer textures guide.

:facepalm: Thanks Farlo, got it.

As for Enhanced Blood textures...a quote from the author's page:

Do not "clean" the any of the plugin files

ENB, FXAA Injector and lighting mods will have noticeable effects on blood color which may appear differently than intended; blood color is made based on the default lighting. Use darker or brighter optional files to adjust it. Different locations in the game will also alter the blood color such as indoor areas tend to be brighter than outdoors.

Do not use DDSopt on "screenbloodcolor01opt" and "fxbloodflare" files or else black boxes will appear along with screen blood.

Do not optimize the nif files or the game will crash when you decap someone.

As for the guide, DDSopt has it's own guide on the wiki. You could probably gather all the info up and create one for OT.

That is z929669's guide for optimizing the HD-DLC. Uptomizing any other BSA or the main texture folder is not much more complicated and easily extrapolated from the guide... my objections to DDSopt as a end all can be found in it (not as any discredit to the guide itself). You need a third party tool to extract the BSAs and repackage them, or at least I did. The process is a great deal more involved for what I consider to be a rather modest gain over optimizer textures. DDSopt is a great tool but its not without its problems. Those problems just aren't present in this tool. I optimized enhanced blood textures with optimizer textures and have noticed no problems. I can't say I played much with the mod unoptimized... the colors never seemed off to me however.