Losing up to 12fps in average after applying the STEP INI Guide - why?

elwaps

Question

Just looking for a short explanation as this time (I gave up my bugged last setup) I benched every step during STEP installation.

Compared to the STEP Launcher settings I'm losing about 10fps in average after having done the INI Guide. Initially I thought this was due to the popping tree fix and the 200 instead of 20 rendered animated trees but looking at Brittleshin Pass I'm wondering where this loss comes from. I've followed the guide PRECISELY with exception of the HUD and map fixes (as I'm gonna install mods fixing those things anyway).

I also "gained" about 100 MB of VRAM usage except for Brittleshin Pass, where I've had even less than before. So at least the VRAM thing must be something that is present in the worldspace aswell as in Solitude but not in dungeons.

As for Solitude, I have no idea why I don't run into the GPU limit there, that's probably also the reason nothing changed compared to the last run.

Any ideas? Just asking as I know I will NEED those 10fps later when it comes to ENB and vegetation (grass!) mods. ;)

Specs are

i7 3930K @Stock

GTX 680 4GB OC @Stock

8GB DDR3 1333 @Stock

SSD

Tools are

FRAPS for the FPS

Windows Perfmon Logging for CPU, RAM, Pagefile and SSD Transfer Rate

Nvidia Inspector for VRAM, GPU Load, Temp and Power

Here's the results:

0 Intro - Having FRAPS run for 240 seconds after the vanilla game intro start

skyrim_benchmark_stepvdskk.jpg

1 To Riverwood - Walking from the exit of Helgen Keep to Riverwood and stop benching after I've reached the town's exit

skyrim_benchmark_step2zj71.jpg

2 To Riften - Walking from Heartwood Mill to the entrance of Riften

skyrim_benchmark_stepg6j9g.jpg

3 Brittleshin Pass - Starting inside at the north entrance, doing a short run through the dungeon to the south entrance

skyrim_benchmark_stepshk44.jpg

4 Solitude - Starting at the entrance, walking on the right side to the palace, turning around, going through the Imperial castle and back to the entrance

skyrim_benchmark_step1yjg7.jpg

Edited by elwaps

Installed ENBoost. Vram dropped slightly 1 gig to 800 meg, system ram dropped from 1722 meg to 702 meg. No CTDs so far.

Still waiting for new video card.

Installed new video card this morning.

Memory running at 1361 meg, Vram running at 1627 meg. The other setup had occasional stutters. None so far with new card. GPU temp is running about 20 degrees C cooler! I was hoping for a lower GPU temp, but that surprised me.