New Guy stumbles out of the gate...

Thunderbolt

Question

Hey gang, new guy here. Watched the ENTIRE STEP video series by PoetGamers (awesome) and pretty much pause/clicked my way step by step with the STEP outline open in front of me. Went through to 1.E and figured I would pause there to spot-check a simple game launch but hit a CTD immediately upon clicking NEW game.  NO outside mods whatsoever, explicitly following STEP.

My PC is beefy, 32GB RAM, 3GB vidcard, i7-4770 CPU, Win 7; game install on a fast SSD

Running all-new (today) downloads of Mod Organizer, SKSE, LOOT, TES5Edit and Wrye Bash, all located as per STEP

Of note, I completed all of the INI tweaks in 1D, HOWEVER: my original [Archive] statement contained "SResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Invalidation.bsa" which did not appear in the [Archive] block as defined in 1,D.1 "sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa" ...  so I replaced, rather than appended the additional content from 1.D.1.  Might the deletion of the Invalidation statement be a fatal error on my part?

My other concern is that somehow I have come up with an Unmanaged Bashed Patch 0 in my left pane along with the managed version consistent with STEP.

Gonna go back to the beginning of STEP and the video series and see if I can retrace my steps line-by-line but my sense if I have misunderstood something which is now the snake under my nose that has bitten me. If anybody can toss a breadcrumb of direction I'd greatly appreciate it.

BTW, I am dumbfounded as to how much work y'all have put into this guideline, the testing, everything. Un-freakin-believable. It makes possible something that for me would otherwise be completely inaccessible. I'm fascinated with all this and wanted to say thank you.

best,
'Bolt

screenshot of MO attached, hope I am being clear and complete with my question...

(addedna: the texture packs are unchecked in this view because I followed the MO instructions to do so with the corresponding elements chacked in the Archives tab)

post-1279-0-52091800-1443404814_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thunderbolt

6 answers to this question

You shouldn't create the bashed patch until you reach the Bashed Patch in Section 2.N near the bottom of the guide. It also looks as if you've gone a bit beyond 1E since you have SKSE installed, which is installed in 2C. This is not the cause of the crash, though. The only reason I mention is because I'm questioning whether you've also installed ENBoost? If so, double check that ENBoost is installed and configured correctly and that you've created and configured SKSE.ini.

:ninja: by the Tazmanian Tasmanian Devil... Interesting, I hadn't noticed Wrye Bash causing the bashed patch to show when I was going through the guide, but this may be because I already had Wrye Bash installed/updated and updated Mod Organizer.

(FTFY -- GrantSP)

The empty bashed patch is not a bother as long as I know it is non-impactive. Yes sorry on the lapse I did move ahead with SKSE and EN Boost; pretty sure I had the ENBoost INI edits accurate to the guide as well but I will lap back through that and check; it was definitely the latest ENB and I used the Wrapper version as per guide; but I recall it saying that one might need the Injector version of the wrapper failed. I'll have to go back there as well. Thanks gang!