TES5Edit via Mod Organizer - duplicate(?) update.esm in Overwrite

Naoko

Question

Hello :) (I hope this is the right subforum to post in)

I just installed Skyrim yesterday, but after getting CTD right after I finished creating my character appearance for ~30 minutes, before a chance to save it, (apparently it doesn't like alt+tab), I realized I was going to have to mod it with at least the most basic of stability fixes if I wanted to actually enjoy playing it. So, I stumbled on the STEP project, researched stuff for hours, and here I am ^_^

Right now I'm in the process of cleaning my files, but there was a slight hiccup in the process - in TES5Edit (run through Mod Organizer), I just finished cleaning my first file (update.esm - I'm following the TES5Edit: Cleaning Mods + video on youtube:

...but in the Overwrite mod directory I ended up with both the backup folder with the backup update.esm in it as seen in the video, AND an additional update.esm directly in the Overwrite folder which I didn't intentionally create, and I have no idea if it's the original or cleaned version :/

Mod Organizer had an alert in the top right (!) (There are files in your overwrite mod) (No guided fix). I want to do all this flawlessly the first time so I don't have to redo entire portions of the mod utilities+installation process, but I don't know how to proceed. I copied the duplicate(?) update.esm into a backup folder, and also left it in the Overwrite folder. If I remove the duplicate backup.esm from the Overwrite folder, it removes the entire backup.esm option from Mod Organizer itself and comes up with a different alert (Missing Masters - no guided fix), as it's not present anymore.

I'm using the latest Mod Organizer (v1.3.8, non-beta), the latest TES5Edit, and a couple other things that I don't think affect this particular process.

It did say in the TES5Edit walkthrough video that newer versions may do something similar to this in the annotations. If I was more familiar with all of this I would probably be able to easily tell what to do, but I'm a total newbie at it all, and I've just accepted that there will be a steep learning curve :D

Any suggestions?

Edited by Naoko

5 answers to this question

The one that's in the TES5Edit backups folder is the original uncleaned update.esm. The other one directly in the overwrite is the cleaned one. 

Easiest way to find out is to check the file sizes. 

What you want to do is take the ones that show up in the backups file and put them back in the Skyrim/Data directory. Renaming to remove the additional characters where needed.

The other file directly in the overwrites folder is the one you then put in the Cleaned Update ESM folder as per STEP.

This is behaviour that's only started to show up in newer versions of MO.

You'll need to repeat the same basic way of going around things for Dawnguard.esm, Dragonborn.esm and Hearthfires.esm as well.

Edited by Nozzer66
  • +1 1

The one that's in the TES5Edit backups folder is the original uncleaned update.esm. The other one directly in the overwrite is the cleaned one. 

Easiest way to find out is to check the file sizes. 

What you want to do is take the ones that show up in the backups file and put them back in the Skyrim/Data directory. Renaming to remove the additional characters where needed.

The other file directly in the overwrites folder is the one you then put in the Cleaned Update ESM folder as per STEP.

This is behaviour that's only started to show up in newer versions of MO.

You'll need to repeat the same basic way of going around things for Dawnguard.esm, Dragonborn.esm and Hearthfires.esm as well.

Wow, thank you!! That answers it exactly.

Onwards!!

One more question: in the video, Michael says we should clean Dawnguard.esm twice because it was "mangled" in some previous process. Does he mean clean it once, and then clean the already cleaned version again? How would I go about doing that? And, how did it end up getting gimped in the first place?

Thank you :)

You can find step-by-step instructions to clean Dawnguard on the Dawnguard page. For some reason, it doesn't catch everything on the first cleaning pass so you clean the "cleaned" version of Dawnguard to remove a few stragglers that were left in the first pass.