Star Wars: Battlefront

Neovalen

Battlefront looks like lousy contentless mod for BF4. I am probably fairly biased, because I don't like Star Wars, I never played any related game and I never saw the films but even so, the game just looks pretty crappy. 4k means nothing when there's nothing to look at (and the map is exactly that, absolutely nothing covered in snow). The characters look like photos photoshopped onto drawn picture, guns look and sound almost exactly the same, animations are weird, and it all stinks of Hardline. Oh and the last drop when trying to make an unbiased opinion was when I saw someone pick up a shiny ball an turn into Luke Asswalker who instakilled everyone while jumping 10 metres high and 50 far around the map. I am sorry, but that's ridiculous.

The game is probably meant as extremely simple arcade shooter with not even half the depth of Battlefield 4, aimed at militant Star Wars fans, but even if that's true, I think it will get boring extremely quickly.

P.S. I didn't play the beta, I only watched people play it on Twitch.

Sorry Octo, once I saw this pic I had to post it for you. :)

bflj8.jpg

On another note, absolutely insane the number of people who played the beta in these last 5 days:

https://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/nine-million-players-have-joined-us-in-the-star-wars-battlefront-beta

• +1 1

I totally forgot this will be out soon Neo, along with the film. Was the BETA any good? All I see on various sites is people calling this game out for having much less content than the previous games. With EA, you can already smell the characters and weapons locked behind a pay wall, which I guess is worrying. I love Battlefront though, I got talking to a few leads on Battlefront 3 a few years back. One guy, you could see the sadness in his eyes. It must really suck to lose 3 years of work. From what I heard from the testers, it was a brilliant game. That planet to space gameplay!

I totally forgot this will be out soon Neo, along with the film. Was the BETA any good? All I see on various sites is people calling this game out for having much less content than the previous games. With EA, you can already smell the characters and weapons locked behind a pay wall, which I guess is worrying. I love Battlefront though, I got talking to a few leads on Battlefront 3 a few years back. One guy, you could see the sadness in his eyes. It must really suck to lose 3 years of work. From what I heard from the testers, it was a brilliant game. That planet to space gameplay!

I had a blast with the Beta, majority seem to agree with me but there are those vocal minority die hards on both the "It's not Battlefield enough" and "Its not Battlefront 3" side. Obviously never the two shall agree. :)

The game is 100% focusing on the Original Trilogy (plus future Force Awakens content) which limits the # of heroes/villains/vehicles compared to something like the old BF2 which also had clone wars and multitude of new characters. I can see where people come from with the lack of content side due to that but it's authentic to the universe. I get the feeling that Disney wants the focus off the prequels and so didn't want that content in the game.

I think DICE has done an excellent job capuring the feels and wonder of Star Wars from the Music, Sound Design, Authentic Models, Atmosphere, etc. I actually like how they replaced a class system with a do-it-yourself system (star cards). I wish the battle pickups were models instead of "Power Up" coins but that's really my only gripe. Planet selection and game modes all look fun to me. Lack of space battles I'm not worried, I'm sure there is a flight sim coming eventually... xwing vs tie fighter 3 anyone? :)

I'm totally in for this game. As far as micro transactions they have committed to NO microtransactions in the game. Everything is done via in game credits. There is DLC / Season Pass for 4 expansions (post the free Jakku expansion that comes just before the movie).

Is there any local content? I heard there is no story, but to be honest the story in the previous games was not really a story anyway. Will there be bots to practice on or anything? If consoles have splitscreen then I am going to get it on that as I can invite my bro over to play. I know it wont look as good as PC, but I will probably have more fun with it.

No microtransactions from EA and Disney? I'm suspicious haha! Sounds good. I will most likely pick it up early next year, as I have a feeling Fallout 4 will need my focus first. I'd love to hear your thoughts about both after release.

Is there any local content? I heard there is no story, but to be honest the story in the previous games was not really a story anyway. Will there be bots to practice on or anything? If consoles have splitscreen then I am going to get it on that as I can invite my bro over to play. I know it wont look as good as PC, but I will probably have more fun with it.

No microtransactions from EA and Disney? I'm suspicious haha! Sounds good. I will most likely pick it up early next year, as I have a feeling Fallout 4 will need my focus first. I'd love to hear your thoughts about both after release.

Local / Split Screen Content:

https://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/features/missions

You likely won't get a Fallout 4 opinion out of me in the near future unless a copy randomly drops in my lap.. lol. I don't have a preorder and not planning on buying it in the near future either. It's not generally my favorite genre and I'm fairly certain it'll be a buggy mess on launch like Skyrim was (and still is sometimes). That being said, not averse to trying it should I find a cheap copy (not likely).

Thanks! Well I have got my thoughts mixed up as I thought you were a big Fallout fan. Yeah it will be buggy as heck and I am an idiot for buying it at launch, but I have personally never experienced anything that stopped my playthrough. The only thing I can remember is the Clavicus Vile quest from Oblivion which crashed the game before the patch. I got through Skyrim fine and had no trouble with Fallout 3. Witcher 3 is on what now? 1.11? That seems just as bad. Damn.

Anyway, I am looking forward to this, but as usual, will wait for impressions. I'm sure it will be fun though, and it certainly looks really nice visually. 

But their Seasonpass at 60 Euro already shows how much money they want to get out of this Game. I am really disappointed that so many features I would have liked to see are not in the Game. Like story mode and the space battles with a better optimized Fighter movement would have been nice. Especially as the Graphics are quite good it would have been awesome.

Wow €60? Well there it is. No wonder they don't have microtransactions at that price. How much is a new game in € usually? I bet that is like buying the game twice right? I know you don't have to buy it, but I'm sure it will most likely interest most buyers. Sounds about on par with Bethesda's 'You can buy our season pass now, but we aren't sure what is in it.' for Fallout 4.

Wow €60? Well there it is. No wonder they don't have microtransactions at that price. How much is a new game in € usually? I bet that is like buying the game twice right? I know you don't have to buy it, but I'm sure it will most likely interest most buyers. Sounds about on par with Bethesda's 'You can buy our season pass now, but we aren't sure what is in it.' for Fallout 4.

In the US the season pass is $50, base game is $60. Based on past experiences with this same pricing model in Battlefield it will be worth the money but as you said, optional.

Is that a good thing though? Not really knowing the quality of what you are getting for near the price of a game? It just seems like going from someting usually around $20 to $50 seems a bit crappy. Wasn't there a lot of media and consumer outrage at Destiny's $40 tag for Taken King recently? Don't forget for most of the world that $50 will equal something like $70 because of publisher conversion 'logic'.

I'll probably wait for a year for it to go on sale, but the main game I'll pick up soon and have a gander. I may sound like I hate it, but its mostly EA I don't trust lol. Game looks very cool, but I'm not sure if I can justify getting the dlc at that price, so maybe I will miss out for a bit.

Edited by Guest

Is that a good thing though? Not really knowing the quality of what you are getting for near the price of a game? It just seems like going from someting usually around $20 to $50 seems a bit crappy. Wasn't there a lot of media and consumer outrage at Destiny's $40 tag for Taken King recently? Don't forget for most of the world that $50 will equal something like $70 because of publisher conversion 'logic'.

I'll probably wait for a year for it to go on sale, but the main game I'll pick up soon and have a gander. I may sound like I hate it, but its mostly EA I don't trust lol. Game looks very cool, but I'm not sure if I can justify getting the dlc at that price, so maybe I will miss out for a bit.

The problem with Destiny / Taken King is because the DLC was an overhaul for the entire game (or so is my understanding). So if you wanted the base game improvements you had to buy the DLC. Therefore, it was basically not optional to get the DLC if you wanted a fully fleshed out game how it should have been in the first place. I could be totally off since I don't play Destiny but that is what I got out of reading.

In any case, as you stated there is nothing forcing people to buy DLC at this point. They will not be missing out on anything of importance by buying the season pass later when DLC actually starts coming out (not until next year likely). They are simply offering it for those who know what to expect and know they will want it (like me).

Well I understand that, but what is stopping all season passes going up, but content remaining exactly the same size as it was at the cheaper price? The only reason it is more expensive here is because it has Star Wars on it and they know people will pay. I think buying it sends a bad message, and I can already see prices skyrocketing myself.

I mean I bought the previous games on day one and enjoyed them for years; I would say I am a huge fan. I just think your general love for the franchise is blinding you. That is what these publishers are counting on at the end of the day. You can certainly buy what you like, but I think it is kind of ruining it for everyone else. Look what happened with the infamous horse armour. That opened a gate and I think buying $50 DLC will do the same. What is the DLC for this game by the way? 

I hope I'm  not putting a dampner on this topic Neo, but I do enjoy these games and want to see the best for fans. When EA was announced, my heart kind of sank a bit.

Well I understand that, but what is stopping all season passes going up, but content remaining exactly the same size as it was at the cheaper price? The only reason it is more expensive here is because it has Star Wars on it and they know people will pay. I think buying it sends a bad message, and I can already see prices skyrocketing myself.

I mean I bought the previous games on day one and enjoyed them for years; I would say I am a huge fan. I just think your general love for the franchise is blinding you. That is what these publishers are counting on at the end of the day. You can certainly buy what you like, but I think it is kind of ruining it for everyone else. Look what happened with the infamous horse armour. That opened a gate and I think buying $50 DLC will do the same. What is the DLC for this game by the way?

I hope I'm not putting a dampner on this topic Neo, but I do enjoy these games and want to see the best for fans. When EA was announced, my heart kind of sank a bit.

$50 dollar "Premium" service DLC is/was standard for all of EA/DICE shooters: Battlefield 3, 4, Hardline, etc... Therefore this price point is not new it has been that way for years now. Its only getting critisized recently because its Star Wars (go figure). It does go on sale after the first 3 DLCs are released for as low as $25 but of course the best time to play DLC is on release when everyone is playing it. So it's not being blind so much as I think it was worth the $ even after all these years. The only title I got burned on was Hardline because the player population is almost non existant but I did enjoy the game for its fresh take.

I think each DLC will consist of the following in themed packs:

* One new planet consisting of 4+ multiplayer maps. Most likely also has a few single player missions.

* New weapons / star cards.

* New customization options.

* Potentially new vehicles on the new maps, a new game mode, new Hero characters.

Considering the base game is 4(+1 for Jakku) planets your essentially doubling your map count in DLC.