STEP Core Paches

richardo111

Question

I am installing the step v2.2.9 but not all the mods but i have installed SMIM and then in the install instructions i read that is a patch that you can deactivate all the SMIM .esp (with that pach), but wen it comes to see what pach i do need i get quite lost

It saya-- if you have all DLC go to step 2, if you are NOT installing all the mods, go to step 4 and is also clearly warning to use just one pach, so Which one should i use? And were are they, i cannot find step 2 or step 4 for that matters ::):

Many thanks for your help

9 answers to this question

The patches are all on the STEP Nexus page. On the main page for the guide, you click STEP Patches, just like you did for all the other mods, and select the appropriate file from the files tab on Nexus.

Which file you need depends on your DLC, as described on the detailed instructions page.

Since you are not installing all of STEP Core, you install one of the combined plugins.

When you answer yes or no to the questions listed, it directs you to another question, until it directs you to which file to use. Use that file only.

Thank you very much for the quick answer, I did find the patches, Sorry I have them just in front of my face  :), but about the patches is clear that i need one of the combined plugins and since i have skyrim legendary i guess is the one NOT "Combined Plugin HF.esp" (suppose HF stands for heartfire)

I have all the other mods shown in the readme.txt but "Slightly Reduced Distance NPC Greetings.esp"  and  " dD-No Spinning Death Animation.esp" Can i still install safely the patch if one of these mod is not present, specially dead animation is not present?

• Do you own Dragonborn? Yes you do, so you move on to step 5.
    • Yes, go to Step 5.
    • No, you cannot use any of the STEP provided plugins.
  • Do you own Hearthfire? Yes, you do, so you use PluginHF.
    • Yes, use the STEP Combined PluginHF.
    • No, use the STEP Combined Plugin.

I don't know where you get the idea that you don't have Hearthfire, if you have the full Skyrim package (Legendary).

Plugin HF is for people that own Skyrim Legendary (Or at least Dragonborn and Hearthfires) but have not followed the entire STEP install list.

All the STEP Patches INCLUDE

You DO NOT need to install any of the files listed above, as they are included in the STEP Patch you are going to install. So yes, you can definitely safely install the patch if one of the mods is not present. You should actually remove those mods.

I am sorry i should have expresed wrongly myself, of course i am well aware that i have HF (Legendary, I have paid fop it :))

I do really apreciate very much your help, so i am going to try to be more concrete

I have legendary

I don't have all the STEP mods installed

So the patch that i need is combined HF, I have all the requeriments for this pulugin (DLC - SMIM) but I Dont want to install no sppining deat animatiion Can I still use this patch in order to deactivate all esps from SMIM?

Thanks for your time and patience

If you install the Combined PluginHF, you will get No Spinning Death Animations, as that mod is included in the Combined Plugins.

You would need to edit the patch to remove No Spinning Death Animations, and No NPC Greetings, if you also do not want that mod. I'm fairly sure that is possible, but I have no idea how to do it, sorry.

I Dont want to install no sppining deat animatiion Can I still use this patch in order to deactivate all esps from SMIM?

Deleting (or changing) the relevant records in the STEP patch yourself is the only way. Instructions are below, but you'll want to back up the patch beforehand and take it slow. If you're not comfortable with TES5Edit then you'll just have to live with these mods.

You would need to edit the patch to remove No Spinning Death Animations, and No NPC Greetings, if you also do not want that mod. I'm fairly sure that is possible, but I have no idea how to do it, sorry.

Download and install No Spinning Death Animations and No NPC Greetings in your load order, then fire up TES5Edit and load everything. Both mods are fairly small, so it should be fairly simple to go through both the newly installed No Spinning Death Animations ESP and the No NPC Greetings ESP individually and delete or change the relevant records from the STEP patch, using the original ESPs as a reference. I suggested loading everything so that you can see if there are any conflicts along the way. If removing one of these records is a problem (because it resolves some other conflict), then just note what change No Spinning Death Animations or No NPC Greetings made and reverse that specific change. As mentioned, both of these mods are quite small so this shouldn't take long. Afterwards, of course, remove No Spinning Death Animations and No NPC Greetings from your load order, after the patch has been stripped of the changes they make.

Those mods are relatively easy to remove from the patch, but if you're trying to remove much else from the patch (anything that Core/Extended patches, rather than includes) things will get more complicated: you'll need to change the master in Wrye Bash to a dummy ESP (I usually use the first HRDLC esp), save the changes, then load it up in TES5Edit, search for errors, and fix every error it lists. Then clean masters. The Patch Changelog is invaluable for this. Personally, I started with STEP Extended, then deleted enough over time that I'm essentially down to STEP Core (plus my other mods).

Still, for most users I'd suggest just sticking to Core or Extended and adding onto it. At least the two mentioned mods are relatively easy to remove, most aren't as simple.

Edited by Harpalus
  • +1 1

Thanks very, very much for your help, although i am more than wishing to lean, specially TSE5Edit because one day i will like to start to mod, but for now i just want to finish my mod list an play, so is seems simpler to install no death sppining (no npc gretings is already in the list)

Thank you both very much