Step Core Versus Extended

uncleseano

Question

9 answers to this question

I am sort of in the same dilemma. If the patches are just esp mergers and not also compatibility edits, then it would not be too difficult. Could anyone clarify? I don't know how safe the Merge Plugins script is, but there is also a wiki for merging plugins. Again, I think it would be helpful first to know if the STEP patches are just mergers or also esp edits for compatibility.

Merge Plugins Edit Script: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/37981/?

Merge Plugins Wiki: https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Merging_Plugins

Edited by flyingspatula

Same with flying spatula. I was gonna install pretty much everything bar one or two mods from the extended (footprints/wet and cold) because of the overhead. But it seems after looking through the patch .txt there are a metric **** ton of merges and compatibiliy that I'll be missing out on. So it's either a case of just going with the Core and adding the extended plugins slowly and researching each one or trying to remove the .esps from patch. It's all super messy I tell ya!

Would love some advice on the matter

So any advice you could give us? Should we go down the route of removing the .esps or creating a new manual merged patch if we arent using the full Extended?

EDIT: Would it make sense to install STEP Core, get the Core Patch. And then start installing the Extended Plugins say, 3 at a time and check them for conflicts before moving on for another few installs. If that was the case would we Merge Plugins BEFORE doing any conflict resolution and forwarding the fixes to the Core patch?

Edited by uncleseano

I've taken a look at the STEP Core Patch.esp and it looks like it just mostly merges the SMIM patches (although some object IDs between SMIM and the patch were different). The only things I saw that stood out was a few item conflict fixes between AOS_WAF patch and Amidianborn Content_Addon. Feel free to correct me on any of this... just what I observed in xEdit. If you plan to add the Extended mods, might as well just skip the core patch altogether. The patches themselves aren't going to prevent some game breaking conflict or crash.

Edited by flyingspatula

Oh yeah totally Spatula, you are meant to only use ONE STEP patch. Check out another sneaky thread I started which has all the beef that we were curious about. The TLDR is install ALL mods from extended, install the patch. Create a new profile then start fiddling. By fiddling I mean use TES5 Edit to remove all records pertaining to the .esps that you are removing from the extended guide

https://forum.step-project.com/topic/7237-brand-spanking-new-install-questions/