PageFile Question....where should it be located and how big?

chasers36

Question

I have been going through the ropes making sure Skyrim is optimized to its fullest potential, and I just want to make sure my pagefile is setup correctly. I have 4GB of memory, and a 3GB video card. I have my system drive C, which is a 64GB SSD OS drive, the D drive is also a 64GB SSD and it houses my Skyrim and Mod Organizer folders, and E: is for all my other steam games, and it is a 1TB HDD. I have it setup as such right now, and 12GB seems excessive in my opinion, but I'm not really sure so i just want to know if it will affect performance if i have my pagefile set to high? And if so, what is a safe number to set it as for each drive?

post-5928-0-41387200-1422042201_thumb.png

Edited by chasers36

4 answers to this question

Funny... Tom's Hardware just blocked me due to "suspicious activity". Oh well, it's not the end of world since Tom's Hardware is not exactly a reliable source of information and I did get far enough into the article to say you should take it a huge grain of salt.

The first question is why do you have the paging file enabled on all three drives? You should have only one paging file and I would put it on the fastest drive (SSD) with the most free space. The paging file is essentially used as extended memory to hold information that doesn't quite fit in physical memory or that isn't used enough to take up space in physical memory.

The size of the paging file has been the subject of heated debate (and significant misinformation) since its conception. I generally recommend keeping it set to "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" unless you have a specific and well-defined reason to change it.

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001293.htm

https://www.howtogeek.com/126430/htg-explains-what-is-the-windows-page-file-and-should-you-disable-it/