Stuttering and fps drops in open world

ammus

Question

Hey guys. 

Basically, 60 fps smooth gameplay in interiors, but drops to around 35++ in open world areas with stuttering.

This is my hardware 

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Ammus/SystemSpecs

This is in comparison to 60 fps smooth gameplay in open world when using launcher settings.

I only did the tweaks in Skyrim.ini, Skryrimprefs.ini, and enblocal.ini, following the recommended changes from STEP, so I would like to know which settings actually cause this fps drops. 

This is a vanilla run, so the only mods are like the bug fixes and skyui. Will include a picture of my MO and please tell if you guys need any more info. 

Thanks in advance

post-6078-0-42628300-1421737806_thumb.jpg

Edited by ammus

5 answers to this question

The specs are higher than what I use, and I think you may have to look into your enblocal.ini (if you're using a preset or ENBoost) and skse.ini (if using SKSE 1.7.1) settings, especially memory allocation and management.

enblocal.ini, under [MEMORY]:

ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false (if using SKSE 1.7.1 using Sheson's memory patch)
ReservedMemorySizeMb=64 (since you have 2gb of VRAM)
VideoMemorySizeMb=1920 (subtract 128mb from your total VRAM, as that should be reserved for Windows Aero.)
EnableCompression=false (optional, should be if you need to cram in more textures)
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

Check also if you have vsync enabled in the same enblocal.ini

skse.ini, under [MEMORY]

DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

And make sure that MO has configured skse_loader.exe to have the switch -forcesteamloader included, so that Sheson's patch kicks in. The recommendations were based on what I read here:

https://forum.step-project.com/topic/4985-memory-blocks-log-by-sheson/page-2?do=findComment&comment=108728

Using these has somehow given my playthrough a breath of fresh air, adding more FPS, especially when roaming in Solstheim.

Edited by sa547

The xx.opt textures are redundant, grey lightening bolt, they look to be before the corresponding unmanaged ESMs. The left pane should be sorted by priority and you can then see what is overwriting what. Most of the unmanaged stuff should be near the top so that the mods you install will overwrite them.

That's probably about as good as you're going to get with that video card if you go with anything higher than idk medium-high. What level does it set automatically with the launcher?

I believe it sets to Very High which is why I don't get that just with the minor tweaks made for STEP in the ini files, the performance loss was huge.

The xx.opt textures are redundant, grey lightening bolt, they look to be before the corresponding unmanaged ESMs. The left pane should be sorted by priority and you can then see what is overwriting what. Most of the unmanaged stuff should be near the top so that the mods you install will overwrite them.

Like so? nSFVZhb

ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false (if using SKSE 1.7.1 using Sheson's memory patch)

ReservedMemorySizeMb=64 (since you have 2gb of VRAM)

VideoMemorySizeMb=1920 (subtract 128mb from your total VRAM, as that should be reserved for Windows Aero.)

EnableCompression=false (optional, should be if you need to cram in more textures)

AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

Giving your enblocal.ini settings a go. will update later

skse.ini is a file you make on your own right?

And make sure that MO has configured skse_loader.exe to have the switch -forcesteamloader included, so that Sheson's patch kicks in

How do I check that? In-game it shows that skse is running.

Thanks for summarising that thread, looks very confusing for me.  ::P:

Thanks for the help so far guys. 

Edited by ammus