'Random activating/deactivating of esps/esms

Bcsp

Question

Hey guys. Great work with MO really love it despite a little frustration. I've tried searching this but can't find anything like it. 

Has anyone had an issue with MO activating or deactivating plugins seemingly at random (not mods in the left hand window)? This has happened to me a handful of times over a good few versions of MO. It's usually not too big of a problem since I've learned to backup my profiles but I'm usually missing a change or two when reverting which can be painful to find. Most recently I've had MO deactivate all esps/esms except the official DLCs + apachiihair.esm + apachiihairfemale.esm. The only connection I can make with apachiihair is that at the time I was using TesEdit to merge some follower mods in which apachiihair were masters for some of those plugins. But the thing is I was merging them under a different profile. I've created a profile called "Follower 1". Switched to it. Opened Tesedit. Merged the mods. Switched back to my "working" profile and found everything deactivated. Weird. 

It's happened other times but I can't remember the details so it's best not to muddy the issue. 

Can you change profile too quickly? I always wait for the unlock prompt to deactivate first. It would be interesting to know if I'm not alone here. 

3 answers to this question

In the console window at the bottom of MO can you keep an eye on the output when you are attempting to do whatever it is you do that triggers this?

plugins.txt, modlist.txt, loadorder.txt & lockedorder.txt will be writing any changes that have occurred during that operation, I guess it might be possible that you are initiating another process before they have finished writing the previous operation. Perhaps the HDD they are on is restricted in some way or maybe other software is taking a snapshot of the status or something that might be retarding the file write?

All of what I have just suggested is just conjecture, nothing based on past experiences or reports, just so you don't get too concerned.

The thing to remember is that all the settings to display the plugin lists etc. are all taken from text files that are saved from previous operations. If anything interferes with that process then what you experience may happen.

In the console window at the bottom of MO can you keep an eye on the output when you are attempting to do whatever it is you do that triggers this?

plugins.txt, modlist.txt, loadorder.txt & lockedorder.txt will be writing any changes that have occurred during that operation, I guess it might be possible that you are initiating another process before they have finished writing the previous operation. Perhaps the HDD they are on is restricted in some way or maybe other software is taking a snapshot of the status or something that might be retarding the file write?

All of what I have just suggested is just conjecture, nothing based on past experiences or reports, just so you don't get too concerned.

The thing to remember is that all the settings to display the plugin lists etc. are all taken from text files that are saved from previous operations. If anything interferes with that process then what you experience may happen.

You could be on to something there GrantSP. I'd forgotten I'd set up a ram cache on that disk with deferred writes. I'll disable it and see if it happens again. Honestly it happens so rarely that it might take a while.