Mod Organizer executables and mods problem.

Cresbot

Question

Whenever I use Mod Organizer to start a program (SKSE, LOOT, Tes5Edit etc) the FNIS patcher comes up instead of launching the game. When this happened for the first time I just thought maybe MO is stuffing up and tried directly launching it through skse in the Skyrim directory. Well, it launched but the game was completely vanilla vanilla and no one had heads. (I.E my mods didn't work).

11 answers to this question

Have you read the wiki on how to install 3rd-party programs?

It sounds like you are only changing the name of the executable but not the binary field.

I know how to install third party programs and yes it is in the right binary, however mod organizer runs FNIS and when i run a program through it's launching feature, and when I try to run it from the skse loader directly none of my mods work.

Edited by Cresbot

I only ask because many, many users posts questions about why their software is doing what it does attributing nearly magical or AI-like decision making on to it.

Questions like:

My program has decided to randomly run only certain tools. Why?

or

Why does MO not like it when I try to do this?

Yes, these are humorous, but they are also real questions. Users seem to think MO can suddenly decide to change the way it does things when THEY are using it, compared to the 1000's of other users.

So the question remains. Why is it your executables list is only running FNIS?

Please post your ModOrganizer.ini into spoiler tags:

[spoiler] text [/spoiler]

or paste it to a hosting site like Pastebin so we can see what MO is set to run.

You only have DSR and TES5Edit set as executables. How are you running these tools you say aren't working?

Ok so um, I restarted my computer, it still came up with fnis except when I closed FNIS it launched skyrim with all my mods, so uh I guess I'm fine.

Thanks for trying to help anyone really appreciate that someone actually wanted to help :)

So do you have all the tools working properly and the mods loading as it should be?

What sort of security restrictions are in place with Windows? Although the old joke is "have you rebooted your system", I find it strange that in this instance that is what fixed your situation.

The tools set in MO are only text file settings and make no change to the environment of Windows so shouldn't need a system reset.

Likewise with the mods, these too are just variables in an list that is read by MO.

So do you have all the tools working properly and the mods loading as it should be?

What sort of security restrictions are in place with Windows? Although the old joke is "have you rebooted your system", I find it strange that in this instance that is what fixed your situation.

The tools set in MO are only text file settings and make no change to the environment of Windows so shouldn't need a system reset.

Likewise with the mods, these too are just variables in an list that is read by MO.

All my mods are working fine, however one didn't work the first time but simply reinstalling it fixed the problem. As for security restrictions I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

Ok so um, I restarted my computer, it still came up with fnis except when I closed FNIS it launched skyrim with all my mods, so uh I guess I'm fine.

Thanks for trying to help anyone really appreciate that someone actually wanted to help :)

There is an option in MO to check to see if FNIS needs to be updated when the game is launched. The behavior you describe sounds like FNIS checker is enabled.

When the checker is enabled a message will pop up stating that "FNIS source data has been changed. You should run GenerateFNIS.exe now". This will happen when any executable is run. If you selected the "Remember selection" and pressed Yes the dialog will not return until the dialog messages is reset in settings.

To check the setting go to settings and select the plugins tab and look for the FNIS Checker plugin. Most likely it is enabled. The default setting is false for both options. restart MO if you make any changes.