Is there a way to view which profiles use a given mod?

Xander9009

Question

Basically the title says it all. I'm trying to sort through my mods. I'm going to be reinstalling Windows and since I'm already going to be starting fresh with Windows, I figured it was a good idea to sort through everything that uses a lot of hard drive space. I want to delete all of my mods that aren't used by any of my profiles, but I don't recall an easy way to view that information. It seems like a simple enough thing that I'm probably overlooking something obvious, and if so, I apologize. If there isn't a way to do this, I'll probably officially request it since it seems like a very useful thing, if only occasionally.

If this isn't possible, then is there a better way to do it than I'm currently think? That would be: back up each profile, go find the produced backups and manually concatenate them into a single backup, load that backup, and then select the unchecked category. It's the best I've got.

7 answers to this question

I'm not trying to find which mod a file is from, I'm trying to determine if a given mod is used in any profiles (or rather, to isolate mods not used in any profiles). I'm thinking this isn't possible beyond my method I already mentioned, unfortunately. I'll give it a day or two for others to prove me wrong before I officially request the feature.

The best simple solution, I think, would be a category for mods which are not only unchecked for the active profile, but are unchecked for all profiles. The best solution that's not so simple would be a (probably initially hidden, such as Nexus ID) column displaying the number of profiles each mod is used in. That way, we could show the column for cleanup and get rid of all mods not used by any profiles and simultaneously see all mods only used by one profile. The category for completely unused mods would be sufficient, though.

No. I want to look at a mod and know whether or not it is used in any of my profiles. I don't want to look at a profile and know what mods it uses. I'm trying to isolate mods which I have installed in Mod Organizer, but which are not actually active in any of my profiles.

Oh, ok I understand now I misunderstood what you meant by profiles. Several people around here have different profiles for each character so I was assuming you were asking so you knew which mods you needed to keep. I do not know of a way to do what you're asking. I can look later.

Don't spend too much time on it. I've already done it using the method I mentioned (creating a backup of each, combining the backup files, then loading the backup which is now a merged active list). However, it would certainly be useful for the future just for general mod cleanup and getting rid of old mods without the hassle of individually sorting through each and every one. Mods add up, and getting rid of old, unused mods freed up about 70 GB of space for me, so it's definitely something I'd like to know how to easily do in the future. :)

I think the only method(s) currently available will always be slightly cumbersome as keeping track of which mods you need is more of a user based task.

The closest thing MO will provide is the 'modlist.txt' in each of the profile sub directories.

ALL the mods INSTALLED are shown but any not used by that profile will be prefixed by an '-', whereas those used by the profile will have an '+'.

It looks something like:

-Hold Border Banners
+No snow under the roof
+Unknown Enchants
+No Combat Boundaries and Unofficial Encounter Zone Patch

But as the names are of the installed mods you will still need to know that "Hold Border Banners" is the Hold Border Banners-43493-1-0.rar archive. When you get more obscure naming schemes that may prove tedious.